That strange early church.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

That strange early church.

Post by _huckelberry »

Mike Griffith wrote:Below are four I would recommend. These books will show any modern Protestant that their version of Christianity is far removed from the Christianity that the ancient Christians taught and practiced.

1. The Apostolic Fathers, edited by Jack N. Sparks.

2. Justin Martyr's extant writings, such as The Writings of Justin Martyr, edited by Karen Bullock.

3. Early Christian Doctrines, by J. N. D. Kelly.

4. Orthodox Christianity, by Bishop Alexander Mileant.

I was curious if anybody wished actually to discuss this proposition. I am a Protestant living in the present who has had an interest in reading about early Christianity. I have read and enjoyed Apostolic Fathers. I have read Justin Martyr but enjoyed him less. His writing style did not appeal. I much preferred Irenaeus.

I am sure there are some differences, they would have walked to church. What sort of differences would be seen as far removed?

Please note I view prosperity gospels, name it claim it ideas as heretical. There are other bits of cheap grace which smell bad as well.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: That strange early church.

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:
Mike Griffith wrote:Below are four I would recommend. These books will show any modern Protestant that their version of Christianity is far removed from the Christianity that the ancient Christians taught and practiced.

1. The Apostolic Fathers, edited by Jack N. Sparks.

2. Justin Martyr's extant writings, such as The Writings of Justin Martyr, edited by Karen Bullock.

3. Early Christian Doctrines, by J. N. D. Kelly.

4. Orthodox Christianity, by Bishop Alexander Mileant.

I was curious if anybody wished actually to discuss this proposition. I am a Protestant living in the present who has had an interest in reading about early Christianity. I have read and enjoyed Apostolic Fathers. I have read Justin Martyr but enjoyed him less. His writing style did not appeal. I much preferred Irenaeus.

I am sure there are some differences, they would have walked to church. What sort of differences would be seen as far removed?

Please note I view prosperity gospels, name it claim it ideas as heretical. There are other bits of cheap grace which smell bad as well.

Mike seems to be a fan of the Great Apostasy Theory. Is there evidence for the GAT? When I browse through sectarian stuff I see many groups claiming that the light of Christ was lost but they have come to restore it. It's one of the most common themes I see. It's like a "New! Improved!" marketing push. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov