It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: THREE TESTS THE BOOK OF Mormon CANNOT PASS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:39 am 
God

mikegriffith1 wrote:
But there are also ancient Mesoamerican records that talk the appearance of a Great White God in ancient Mesoamerica.

Mike,

There are no such ancient Mesoamerican records.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Post subject: Re: THREE TESTS THE BOOK OF Mormon CANNOT PASS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:06 pm 
God

LittleNipper wrote:
Come on!?!!? The Christ was being crucified at Jerusalem! Why would the Americas experience 3 days of darkness and Jerusalem receive only 3 hours! Think for once in your life. Joseph Smith was writing the book of Mormon without any help from GOD. And He could not help but make mistakes. And this is a glaring error, and yet one that could have slipped by any guy who had no heart for the truth but was too busy trying to jump into the spotlight.

From Carm:

Quote:
ORIGINAL
When Christ died, did darkness cover the land for three days or for three hours? (Luke 23:44 and 3 Nephi 8:19, 23).

FARMS
This is like asking why the snowstorm on Christmas day lasted two hours in Boston and two days in Denver. We are, after all, dealing with different geographical regions here. The answer is that the darkness lasted three hours in the Holy Land but three days in the lands inhabited by the Nephites, where there appears to have been a major volcanic explosion (see John A. Tvedtnes, "Historical Parallels to the Destruction at the Time of the Crucifixion," Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 3/1, Spring 1994).

MY RESPONSE
I'll give this one to you, though I think Smith simply made a mistake when he was copying from the Bible. It is not, technically, a contradiction to state the time of darkness difference is due to geographical location.