Facts don't care about your feelings

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Facts don't care about your feelings

Post by _Themis »

peacemaker wrote:
Look at 1 Nephi 3:27. Nahom was a tribal territory because all tribes have a territory.

Nahom is not a tribe, and nothing in the Book of Mormon says it is. Having an alter that mentions a certain Bi‘athtar, son of Sawad, son of Naw‘an, the Nihmite does nothing to establish Book of Mormon historicity. The good news is it also does nothing to hurt it. :razz:
_peacemaker
_Emeritus

Post by _peacemaker »

Themis wrote:
Nahom is not a tribe, and nothing in the Book of Mormon says it is. Having an alter that mentions a certain Bi‘athtar, son of Sawad, son of Naw‘an, the Nihmite does nothing to establish Book of Mormon historicity. The good news is it also does nothing to hurt it. :razz:

It could be that NHM was a profession The Lehi clan heard NHM in Arabic and thought it was a place name. You don't get other NHM altars dating the Book of Mormon times at the right place.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

peacemaker wrote:It could be that NHM was a profession The Lehi clan heard NHM in Arabic and thought it was a place name.

You can make up all the scenarios you want. It doesn't establish any evidence for Book of Mormon historicity.

You don't get other NHM altars dating the Book of Mormon times at the right place.

So? NHM has already been translated and it is not related to the Book of Mormon. It is not being used as a place name or even to mark territory. It creates 0 evidence for Book of Mormon claims even if the Book of Mormon story is true.
_peacemaker
_Emeritus

Post by _peacemaker »

Themis wrote:
peacemaker wrote:It could be that NHM was a profession The Lehi clan heard NHM in Arabic and thought it was a place name.

You can make up all the scenarios you want. It doesn't establish any evidence for Book of Mormon historicity.

You don't get other NHM altars dating the Book of Mormon times at the right place.

So? NHM has already been translated and it is not related to the Book of Mormon. It is not being used as a place name or even to mark territory. It creates 0 evidence for Book of Mormon claims even if the Book of Mormon story is true.

I can't force you to see the light.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

peacemaker wrote:
I can't force you to see the light.

You're hiding from the light, dude. You're just making guesses while people who've actually investigated these places have shown you and the church are wrong. And you're wrong about the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham. It hurts but you're deluded. You have testimonies of people who were probably perfectly willing to lie about stuff like this, even with holy oaths. There have been many such people throughout history.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

peacemaker wrote:I can't force you to see the light.

I am comfortable with having and understanding the facts. :wink:
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Sorry,

I haven't been following this thread but it occurs to me there is a hidden message in the OP title for believers who rely on the HG to make their chest warm to verify facts.

Well played Peacemaker, well played.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."