It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
Twain became somewhat bitter in his later years, even while projecting an amiable persona to his public. In private he demonstrated a stunning insensitivity to friends and loved ones. "Much of the last decade of his life, he lived in hell," wrote Hamlin Hill. He wrote a fair amount but was unable to finish most of his projects. His memory faltered. He had volcanic rages and nasty bouts of paranoia, and he experienced many periods of depressed indolence, which he tried to assuage by smoking cigars, reading in bed and playing endless hours of billiards and cards.

Samuel Clemens died on April 21, 1910, at the age of 74, at his country home in Redding, Connecticut. He was buried in Elmira, New York.


Too bad he wasn't born again. Then his bitterness could have been turned to pointing out how non-believers die in bitterness. :lol:
Funny, but the fact remains that I have met very few if any bitter old Christians; however, I have met some very nasty old curmudgeons who had no desire to attend church nor read the Bible. While one is young it may seem rather cool to be contemptuous; however, when one has no future but fill an empty grave in a short time ---- it's rather sad indeed. And frankly, the thought doesn't seem to uplift such a person at all --- if anything it makes such an individual even more surly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
Funny, but the fact remains that I have met very few if any bitter old Christians; however, I have met some very nasty old curmudgeons who had no desire to attend church nor read the Bible. While one is young it may seem rather cool to be contemptuous; however, when one has no future but fill an empty grave in a short time ---- it's rather sad indeed. And frankly, the thought doesn't seem to uplift such a person at all --- if anything it makes such an individual even more surly.

I happen to be up there in age myself and have never been happier than I am now. Any sadness that I experience at this point in my life is the result of focusing too much on the past, on the amount of time and energy that I wasted being a deluded theist. Oh and like yourself, but on the flip side, I don't know personally any bitter atheists but I can rattle off a list of bitter theists. Perhaps because they sense that their Bible has not been fulfilled in its most significant prophecy, the return of the Jebus.

Quote:
The fact that Christianity started as a Jewish apocalyptic movement is evidenced by the teachings of the Biblical Jesus concerning the end of days. Not only did he preach he would rise from the grave, but that he would also ascend to the Heaven and one day return to judge and rule over the world. When did Jesus say his return would be? While he said no one, including himself, knew the exact time of his return, he knew it would be before the end of his generation.

Obviously, no divine final judgement and end of days has occurred. Jesus isn’t sitting on some throne somewhere on Earth ruling over the planet. His first century followers had to find a way to make sense of the predicament of having devoted their lives to a prophecy that seemed to have failed. Over the past two millenia since the prophecy was supposedly uttered by Jesus, believers have come up with a variety of explanations for why he had not come back. If can be easily seen that all the explanations are rationalizations that don’t really work when compared to the Christian scripture. Yet they persist among the faithful to this day.

https://blacknonbelievers.wordpress.com ... is-return/

If you are very young then you can decide what percentage of the millennium that was to see Jesus reign on earth can be spent with him being a no-show for the Bible to remain "inerrant." At present the Bible is at least 2% errant in this matter. :lol:

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.“ (Matthew 16: 27, 28)

The very next story in each passage regarding HIS KINGDOM comes the transfiguration. The kingdom is here in part! Jesus is alive and reigning through His CHURCH and in the hearts of the Saints (all saved individuals). Because the Kingdom has an already/not-yet character. It has not yet come in its fullness, but it is here. When Christ returns after the catching away of HIS CHURCH (body of ALL believers) that will be the KINGDOM AGE. Peter/James/John witnessed in the transfiguration a preview of the fullness which is yet to come (Christ in His power and glory). At the end of the 7 year TRIBULATION, Christ will return with HIS CHURCH and rule for 1000 years. Hitler tried to establish an Antichrist counterfeit. I believe this to be a precursor to the re-establishment of ISRAEL and the coming of the Beast, the FALSE PROPHET and the Antichrist found in Revelation. The rapture is supposed to come within one generation of the re-establishment (coming together) of ISRAEL. One generation will not pass away----however, one generation could be 76 or even 100 years. The re-establishment of ISRAEL could be 1948 or 1967. The Bible is clear about two thing. People will say, "So, where is this return of Christ? Where is HE?" And secondly, no one will know the day or the hour of Christ's return. :ugeek:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.“ (Matthew 16: 27, 28)

The very next story in each passage regarding HIS KINGDOM comes the transfiguration. The kingdom is here in part! Jesus is alive and reigning through His CHURCH and in the hearts of the Saints (all saved individuals). Because the Kingdom has an already/not-yet character. It has not yet come in its fullness, but it is here. When Christ returns after the catching away of HIS CHURCH (body of ALL believers) that will be the KINGDOM AGE. Peter/James/John witnessed in the transfiguration a preview of the fullness which is yet to come (Christ in His power and glory). At the end of the 7 year TRIBULATION, Christ will return with HIS CHURCH and rule for 1000 years. Hitler tried to establish an Antichrist counterfeit. I believe this to be a precursor to the re-establishment of ISRAEL and the coming of the Beast, the FALSE PROPHET and the Antichrist found in Revelation. The rapture is supposed to come within one generation of the re-establishment (coming together) of ISRAEL. One generation will not pass away----however, one generation could be 76 or even 100 years. The re-establishment of ISRAEL could be 1948 or 1967. The Bible is clear about two thing. People will say, "So, where is this return of Christ? Where is HE?" And secondly, no one will know the day or the hour of Christ's return. :ugeek:


I see you didn't bother to read the material from the link I provided. From the link:

Quote:
Rationalization #1: Matthew 16:28 refers to Jesus’ transfiguration, not his second coming.
The transfiguration of Jesus is a story recorded in Matthew 17, Mark 9, and Luke 9. The first problem is that these Gospels place the transfiguration at different times. In Matthew, it occurs after Jesus made the prediction about his second coming. That might make it seem reasonable to think that it was a fulfillment of the earlier prediction. However, Mark and Luke place the transfiguration event before Jesus made spoke the prophecy. Laying aside the obvious discrepency in timing, we can say for certain that an event occurring before a prediction is made can’t be fulfilling the prediction. The “prediction” wouldn’t be a prediction at all.

The preceding verse (verse 27) starts off the description of Jesus’ coming by saying he would come “in glory” with angels to dole out judgment to “every man”. That is not what happened in the transfiguration stories. Therefore, the explanation doesn’t work. Some try to make it work by separating verse 28 from the preceding verse so that the two verses talk about different “comings”. This is a baseless tinkering with the passage in order to make a doctrine fit the scripture. The same Christians who do this will accuse other of taking verses out of context when they disagree with an interpretation. Yet, this is exactly what they do here.

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.“ (Matthew 16: 27, 28)

The very next story in each passage regarding HIS KINGDOM comes the transfiguration. The kingdom is here in part! Jesus is alive and reigning through His CHURCH and in the hearts of the Saints (all saved individuals). Because the Kingdom has an already/not-yet character. It has not yet come in its fullness, but it is here. When Christ returns after the catching away of HIS CHURCH (body of ALL believers) that will be the KINGDOM AGE. Peter/James/John witnessed in the transfiguration a preview of the fullness which is yet to come (Christ in His power and glory). At the end of the 7 year TRIBULATION, Christ will return with HIS CHURCH and rule for 1000 years. Hitler tried to establish an Antichrist counterfeit. I believe this to be a precursor to the re-establishment of ISRAEL and the coming of the Beast, the FALSE PROPHET and the Antichrist found in Revelation. The rapture is supposed to come within one generation of the re-establishment (coming together) of ISRAEL. One generation will not pass away----however, one generation could be 76 or even 100 years. The re-establishment of ISRAEL could be 1948 or 1967. The Bible is clear about two thing. People will say, "So, where is this return of Christ? Where is HE?" And secondly, no one will know the day or the hour of Christ's return. :ugeek:


I see you didn't bother to read the material from the link I provided. From the link:

Quote:
Rationalization #1: Matthew 16:28 refers to Jesus’ transfiguration, not his second coming.
The transfiguration of Jesus is a story recorded in Matthew 17, Mark 9, and Luke 9. The first problem is that these Gospels place the transfiguration at different times. In Matthew, it occurs after Jesus made the prediction about his second coming. That might make it seem reasonable to think that it was a fulfillment of the earlier prediction. However, Mark and Luke place the transfiguration event before Jesus made spoke the prophecy. Laying aside the obvious discrepency in timing, we can say for certain that an event occurring before a prediction is made can’t be fulfilling the prediction. The “prediction” wouldn’t be a prediction at all.

The preceding verse (verse 27) starts off the description of Jesus’ coming by saying he would come “in glory” with angels to dole out judgment to “every man”. That is not what happened in the transfiguration stories. Therefore, the explanation doesn’t work. Some try to make it work by separating verse 28 from the preceding verse so that the two verses talk about different “comings”. This is a baseless tinkering with the passage in order to make a doctrine fit the scripture. The same Christians who do this will accuse other of taking verses out of context when they disagree with an interpretation. Yet, this is exactly what they do here.

And Jesus will at sometime in the future come with angels and fulfill THAT prediction , but at that time it was enough so reveal Jesus the Christ in His kingdom form to a select few and fulfill the prediction that some would not die until they saw Jesus so changed along with Old Testament Saints...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
And Jesus will at sometime in the future come with angels and fulfill THAT prediction , but at that time it was enough so reveal Jesus the Christ in His kingdom form to a select few and fulfill the prediction that some would not die until they saw Jesus so changed along with Old Testament Saints...

So you are adding to the scripture. Good to know that Mormons aren't the only ones guilty of doing that then. Christians of a general stripe do it too. They add to the scripture by having their very own strained interpretations that go far beyond what is written. Then they blame it on the spirit of course. Too bad there are so many diverse spirits roaming around the planet. :lol:

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
And Jesus will at sometime in the future come with angels and fulfill THAT prediction , but at that time it was enough so reveal Jesus the Christ in His kingdom form to a select few and fulfill the prediction that some would not die until they saw Jesus so changed along with Old Testament Saints...

So you are adding to the scripture. Good to know that Mormons aren't the only ones guilty of doing that then. Christians of a general stripe do it too. They add to the scripture by having their very own strained interpretations that go far beyond what is written. Then they blame it on the spirit of course. Too bad there are so many diverse spirits roaming around the planet. :lol:

I haven't added to the Scripture. I'm seeking to understand it in light of what transpired. Joseph Smith added to the Holy Scriptures with his book of Mormon, and when that didn't distort things enough for his fledgling religion, he added the Pearl of Great Price and other such books for clarification. Interpretations of scripture must at least harmonize with what is written in the Bible without contradiction.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
I haven't added to the Scripture. I'm seeking to understand it in light of what transpired. Joseph Smith added to the Holy Scriptures with his book of Mormon, and when that didn't distort things enough for his fledgling religion, he added the Pearl of Great Price and other such books for clarification. Interpretations of scripture must at least harmonize with what is written in the Bible without contradiction.

You are adding your interpretation which you cannot prove is what was intended by the text. The Bible didn't even exist as such until long after the existence of Christianity itself. So it was all added anyhow.

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
I haven't added to the Scripture. I'm seeking to understand it in light of what transpired. Joseph Smith added to the Holy Scriptures with his book of Mormon, and when that didn't distort things enough for his fledgling religion, he added the Pearl of Great Price and other such books for clarification. Interpretations of scripture must at least harmonize with what is written in the Bible without contradiction.

You are adding your interpretation which you cannot prove is what was intended by the text. The Bible didn't even exist as such until long after the existence of Christianity itself. So it was all added anyhow.


The entire OLD TESTAMENT existed before Jesus was born. That is the vast majority of the Bible. Jesus at 12 read from that Temple canon.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
The entire OLD TESTAMENT existed before Jesus was born. That is the vast majority of the Bible. Jesus at 12 read from that Temple canon.

Oh, so all of the New Testament understanding of the gospel already existed in the Old Testament? Sounds like Mormon theology to me. :lol:

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
The entire OLD TESTAMENT existed before Jesus was born. That is the vast majority of the Bible. Jesus at 12 read from that Temple canon.

Oh, so all of the New Testament understanding of the gospel already existed in the Old Testament? Sounds like Mormon theology to me. :lol:

Case in point: Isaiah 53 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

1 Who believes our report?
To whom is the arm of Adonai revealed?
2 For before him he grew up like a young plant,
like a root out of dry ground.
He was not well-formed or especially handsome;
we saw him, but his appearance did not attract us.
3 People despised and avoided him,
a man of pains, well acquainted with illness.
Like someone from whom people turn their faces,
he was despised; we did not value him.

4 In fact, it was our diseases he bore,
our pains from which he suffered;
yet we regarded him as punished,
stricken and afflicted by God.
5 But he was wounded because of our crimes,
crushed because of our sins;
the disciplining that makes us whole fell on him,
and by his bruises* we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, went astray;
we turned, each one, to his own way;
yet Adonai laid on him
the guilt of all of us.

7 Though mistreated, he was submissive —
he did not open his mouth.
Like a lamb led to be slaughtered,
like a sheep silent before its shearers,
he did not open his mouth.
8 After forcible arrest and sentencing,
he was taken away;
and none of his generation protested
his being cut off from the land of the living
for the crimes of my people,
who deserved the punishment themselves.
9 He was given a grave among the wicked;
in his death he was with a rich man.

Although he had done no violence
and had said nothing deceptive,
10 yet it pleased Adonai to crush him with illness,
to see if he would present himself as a guilt offering.
If he does, he will see his offspring;
and he will prolong his days;
and at his hand Adonai’s desire
will be accomplished.
11 After this ordeal, he will see satisfaction.
“By his knowing [pain and sacrifice],
my righteous servant makes many righteous;
it is for their sins that he suffers.
12 Therefore I will assign him a share with the great,
he will divide the spoil with the mighty,
for having exposed himself to death
and being counted among the sinners,
while actually bearing the sin of many
and interceding for the offenders.”

Another case in point Psalm 22

Psalm 22 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
1 For the leader. Set to “Sunrise.” A psalm of David:

2 My God! My God!
Why have you abandoned me?
Why so far from helping me,
so far from my anguished cries?

3 My God, by day I call to you,
but you don’t answer;
likewise at night,
but I get no relief.
4 Nevertheless, you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Isra’el.
5 In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted, and you rescued them.
6 They cried to you and escaped;
they trusted in you and were not disappointed.

7 But I am a worm, not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
8 All who see me jeer at me;
they sneer and shake their heads:
9 “He committed himself to Adonai,
so let him rescue him!
Let him set him free
if he takes such delight in him!”

10 But you are the one who took me from the womb,
you made me trust when I was on my mother’s breasts.
11 Since my birth I’ve been thrown on you;
you are my God from my mother’s womb.
12 Don’t stay far from me, for trouble is near;
and there is no one to help.
13 Many bulls surround me,
wild bulls of Bashan close in on me.
14 They open their mouths wide against me,
like ravening, roaring lions.
15 I am poured out like water;
all my bones are out of joint;
my heart has become like wax —
it melts inside me;
16 my mouth is as dry as a fragment of a pot,
my tongue sticks to my palate;
you lay me down in the dust of death.
17 Dogs are all around me,
a pack of villains closes in on me
like a lion [at] my hands and feet.[a]

18 I can count every one of my bones,
while they gaze at me and gloat.
19 They divide my garments among themselves;
for my clothing they throw dice.

20 But you, Adonai, don’t stay far away!
My strength, come quickly to help me!
21 Rescue me from the sword,
my life from the power of the dogs.
22 Save me from the lion’s mouth!

You have answered me from the wild bulls’ horns.
23 I will proclaim your name to my kinsmen;
right there in the assembly I will praise you:
24 “You who fear Adonai, praise him!
All descendants of Ya‘akov, glorify him!
All descendants of Isra’el, stand in awe of him!
25 For he has not despised or abhorred
the poverty of the poor;
he did not hide his face from him
but listened to his cry.”

26 Because of you
I give praise in the great assembly;
I will fulfill my vows
in the sight of those who fear him.
27 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
those who seek Adonai will praise him;
Your hearts will enjoy life forever.
28 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to Adonai;
all the clans of the nations
will worship in your presence.
29 For the kingdom belongs to Adonai,
and he rules the nations.

30 All who prosper on the earth
will eat and worship;
all who go down to the dust
will kneel before him,
including him who can’t keep himself alive,
31 A descendant will serve him;
the next generation will be told of Adonai.
32 They will come and proclaim
his righteousness
to a people yet unborn,
that he is the one who did it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 pm
Posts: 1702
LittleNipper wrote:
Old testament quotes

Ad hoc much?

_________________
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 am 
Nursery

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 pm
Posts: 36
The doctrine of biblical inerrancy has driven many intelligent people away from the evangelical ranks, because it is demonstrably wrong.

When you sit down with a well-read inerrancy apologist and start to discuss some of the undeniable errors and contradictions in the biblical manuscripts, he will acknowledge that those issues are "problems" and will assert that actually the doctrine of inerrancy really means that the original manuscripts were inerrant. But we don't have any of the originals. The oldest complete New Testament manuscript was written hundreds of years after the originals were composed. We have a few fragments that are first-century material, but even those are 20-30 years removed from the originals.

Generally speaking, the Bible is inspired and should be read. In those relatively few cases where it contains errors, just ignore the errors and embrace all the accurate and inspired parts of the book. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

_________________
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 8191
Location: What does the fox say?
The bible is mythology. The Book of Mormon is mythology. The Book of Mormon teaches that chastity and virtue are lost via rape, and that god is a racist. Throw it away. The bible teaches that god is a homicidal monster. Who needs either?

_________________
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:30 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Posts: 1507
mikegriffith1 wrote:
The oldest complete New Testament manuscript was written hundreds of years after the originals were composed. We have a few fragments that are first-century material, but even those are 20-30 years removed from the originals.
Which New Testament fragments would you date to the first century? P137 (aka Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 5345)?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:21 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
mikegriffith1 wrote:
The doctrine of biblical inerrancy has driven many intelligent people away from the evangelical ranks, because it is demonstrably wrong.

When you sit down with a well-read inerrancy apologist and start to discuss some of the undeniable errors and contradictions in the biblical manuscripts, he will acknowledge that those issues are "problems" and will assert that actually the doctrine of inerrancy really means that the original manuscripts were inerrant. But we don't have any of the originals. The oldest complete New Testament manuscript was written hundreds of years after the originals were composed. We have a few fragments that are first-century material, but even those are 20-30 years removed from the originals.

Generally speaking, the Bible is inspired and should be read. In those relatively few cases where it contains errors, just ignore the errors and embrace all the accurate and inspired parts of the book. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

The "errors" are very limited. and in no way change the meaning of the verses. The Messiah comes to save, the Flood of Noah happened, Creation took 6 days and on the 7th day GOD established a rest period, Christ is returning to reign upon this planet. The doctrine of salvation has not been affected.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:26 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4462
Bret Ripley wrote:
mikegriffith1 wrote:
The oldest complete New Testament manuscript was written hundreds of years after the originals were composed. We have a few fragments that are first-century material, but even those are 20-30 years removed from the originals.
Which New Testament fragments would you date to the first century? P137 (aka Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 5345)?

The last written book of the Bible (Revelation) was written approximately 95 AD. Everything else was written before that. The Book of Mormon has no proof at all of ever existing until Joseph Smith is reputed to have found it --- centuries plus later...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Posts: 1507
mikegriffith1 wrote:
We have a few fragments that are first-century material, but even those are 20-30 years removed from the originals.
gluttonforpunishment24/7 wrote:
Which New Testament fragments would you date to the first century? P137 (aka Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 5345)?
LittleNipper wrote:
The last written book of the Bible (Revelation) was written approximately 95 AD. Everything else was written before that.
Probably not -- while I wouldn't quibble about your date for the composition of Revelation, there are a few books that were probably written later (e.g. Jude, Second Peter). But that's actually not responsive to the question I asked Mike, which was about his mention of fragments of first century New Testament documents. AFAIK we don't have anything earlier than second century (at least not yet) so I was curious whether he had any particular fragments in mind.
Quote:
The Book of Mormon has no proof at all of ever existing until Joseph Smith is reputed to have found it --- centuries plus later...
Well, sure. To say that evidence for a pre-19th century BofM is scant comes close to abusing the word "scant." There simply isn't a non-faith-based reason to source the text to any time and place other than Smith's.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 pm 
θεά
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 4284
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Wonhyo wrote:
My questions for those who believe the Bible is inerrant are:

Okay, but realize that inerrancy and infallibility are not the same thing. Inerrancy means that the original autographs of the Bible were God-breathed and free from error (though it's possible for errors to have crept into later copies, and in fact, that has happened many, many times). Infallible means that the Bible cannot fail to accomplish what it is meant to accomplish, namely, to teach us the way of salvation. They are related concepts, but not interchangeable.

Quote:
1. If the Bible is infallible, what about the passages within the Bible that contradict each other?

It depends on the passage, but generally, they were written for different audiences and different purposes.

Quote:
2. If the Bible is infallible, which version/translation, of the many available, is the most infallible?

Most versions are infallible in that they can teach you salvation. If you meant to ask about inerrancy, only the original autographs (which we don't have) are inerrant; all other copies and translations have at least some errors, though arguably not on major theology. As far as English versions go, I'd rate the ESV and the NKJV among the worst English translations, not counting niche translations by alternative Christian sects like the New World Translation. (Then again, the ESV is pretty much the NWT for Calvinist complementarians, which is partially what makes it so bad.)

Quote:
3. Could the Bible have been written by some inspired people without necessarily being totally inerrant?

An inerrantist would say no, that God only could have inspired perfect texts in the original autographs.

Quote:
4. If the Bible is infallible, is it okay for a Christian to believe in an old-earth as opposed to a young-earth?

Absolutely.

Quote:
5. If the Bible is infallible, could some of its stories have been metaphorical instead of literal?

Some of its stories are definitely metaphorical. Take the conflicting creation accounts in Genesis 1-2, where the order of creation is different. It's not that the Hebrews were stupid and didn't know that their Scriptures contradicted. It's that they didn't care, because those texts were never meant to teach a literal creation order (or the age of the earth, for that matter). Instead the texts were meant to convey deep spiritual truths about God's sovereignty, sin, strife, redemption, pain, temptation, fallen humanity, and much more.

_________________
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 pm 
θεά
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 4284
Location: Des Plaines, IL
mikegriffith1 wrote:
When you sit down with a well-read inerrancy apologist and start to discuss some of the undeniable errors and contradictions in the biblical manuscripts, he will acknowledge that those issues are "problems" and will assert that actually the doctrine of inerrancy really means that the original manuscripts were inerrant.

This is not something that inerrantists will only grudgingly admit if you twist their arm. This is literally how they teach inerrancy in evangelical seminaries. No one is hiding this.

_________________
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 4204
Considering something like the Old Testament which is a result of compiling and editing what constitutes an original manuscript?

Is editing inspired?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group