Law of Attraction and Mormonism

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_win-win
_Emeritus

Re: Law of Attraction and Mormonism

Post by _win-win »

win-win wrote:I've asked a question to LOA'ers but have never received an answer. Maybe you could help me out with a few questions.

LOA says what you focus on materializes.

LOS (Law of Science) says opposite attracts, think 1st grade magnet and metal filings experiment.
LOS says that an inherent balancing act ignites to keep a status quo. A great example of ecological balance is the predator-prey relationship between the Canadian lynx and snowshoe hare. ... This reduced food availability causes the lynx population to eventually drop. This cycle continues over and over with each species keeping the other species population in check.

How does the LOA fit into the LOS examples in real time biology and science.

hello?

hello?

Why don't LOA'ers EVER answer my simple question?
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

I don't buy into laws of attraction and how it relates to Moism.

Moism may be a form of prosperity gospel doctrine though if you stop to think about it. All the "successful" Mormons are business types, Type A typically and driven to get ahead and succeed. It is a very competitive religion based on how I recall it growing up as one.

It also cuts people off from really connecting in an authentic way to not only themselves but to others. Everything is centered around church. Activities, meetings, the indoctrination. Not to be able to really ask hard questions of your religion or life because everything is neatly outlined in an instruction manual based on age level for rote learning and memorization.

Some people like the militant aspect of Mormonism. It isn't a place for creative types to flourish. It drains creativity - stifles it in fact.

Any laws of attraction get deftly gobbled up inside a vacuum that is void of understanding and spirituality.

So it depends on what you're looking for. If you line up with it and its teachings, and they work for you, then you've surrendered to having someone else tell you what to believe. Some of us outgrew that. It's hard to look back after leaving, because life is so much more than Mormon teachings would have you to believe. Once you've tasted freedom, who would settle for anything less? Brainwashing is what cults do. Freeing the mind takes work, but is worth it to be able to think for yourself.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I live the secret. I believe in the law of attraction. It works for me. That's all I can say. I see it work in my own life. I didn't used to live the secret and looking back I can see a clear difference.

I'm sold. Period.

:smile:
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Shulem wrote:I live the secret. I believe in the law of attraction. It works for me. That's all I can say. I see it work in my own life. I didn't used to live the secret and looking back I can see a clear difference.

I'm sold. Period.

How has it worked in your life?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:How has it worked in your life?

Pretty good, I think. There really is something to it. Positive thinking is important to successful existence. There is power in the mind and how hardly we fully comprehend the wonders of brain power.

I don't know all the answers but I do believe the Law of Attraction is a real principle that works in the universe through natural science.
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

Shulem wrote:I live the secret. I believe in the law of attraction. It works for me. That's all I can say. I see it work in my own life. I didn't used to live the secret and looking back I can see a clear difference.

I'm sold. Period.

Shulem, I'm actually surprised to hear you say this. I was about to write a reply to the thread ripping down the LOA because of its similarities to the "prosperity gospel". But I'll back off and examine it more critically.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I'm very skeptical.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Wonhyo wrote:Shulem, I'm actually surprised to hear you say this. I was about to write a reply to the thread ripping down the LOA because of its similarities to the "prosperity gospel". But I'll back off and examine it more critically.

I'm convinced that everything is connected and that we are part of some kind of divine energy source. Positive thinking and love is what makes the universe glow. There is also a dark side and negative energy that works under it's own design.

I really don't know all the answers and mysteries of life but I'm sure that the LOA is real and we are living in it whether we want to or not. There is an energy field of sorts that binds everything together -- kind of like the Star Wars force or, whatever. It's real. We are not alone. This earth and world is not for nothing. We are being watched. We are loved and appreciated by beings or overlords that are far above us and we are part of a universal family of intelligence of some sort.

With that said, it stands to reason that our deaths will prove a defining moment on whether we learn a lot more or just turn off like a light switch and go blank. I think there is something wonderful in store for all of us. I really do.

But with that said, the furthest thing from the truth is Mormon god or Bible god, or Koran god. Religion is corrupt and the furtherst thing from reality.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:I'm very skeptical.

I don't blame you one bit. You have to search your own heart and mind and try to connect with the universe the best you can. There are waves of energy all around us. Invisible forces are at play. It's up to you to discover them for yourself and learn the operation on how it applies to your life and destiny.
_win-win
_Emeritus

Post by _win-win »

Shulem wrote:
Maksutov wrote:How has it worked in your life?

Pretty good, I think. There really is something to it. Positive thinking is important to successful existence. There is power in the mind and how hardly we fully comprehend the wonders of brain power.

I don't know all the answers but I do believe the Law of Attraction is a real principle that works in the universe through natural science.

Apologies for the late check-back on the conversation. I got a new laptop and forgot my password, had to open up my old laptop to get it.

I'm glad you explained your position better.

I definitely think there's something to theory that thought/focus generates our condition - weather conscious or subconscious, but I've never liked the name Law of Attraction, likely due to so many confusing teachings surrounding it. For example, I've heard a few LoA'ers :smile: describe a Law of Repulsion that counters the Law of Attraction. I consider that would be similar to the old adage that Opposites Attract, however so many LoA'ers are so busy selling their next lecture in their new career that they don't bother to describe more of the finer points of mind over matter, or how wider issues may affect the desired results. Many I've come across are more interested in manifesting desires of materialism rather than figuring out what their thinking and feeling - their goals, and how that reflects a larger and smaller scenario, or mirror if you will, back into their life.

Since you phrase it like this, I would agree that positive thinking, or negative thinking and feelings around choices that represent more of that, can mushroom into more of the same. But the LOA often tells a person to make a vision board and visualize or use mantras. I don't think the latter is workable on the whole. There's not enough direction toward inquiry as to why a person wants something, what's holding them back or how they can attain their desired brand new BMW. :rolleyes: Self inquiry as to what is one's best goal compared to an honest inventory about where one is right now, and what steps to take to understand how to bridge that gap through choices.

People get themselves mired down in the result of so many bad choices and don't even know that those thousands of negative choices - ideas - produced their spiral into the toilet that they can't crawl out of. Even more unusual when people like the toilet. Yes, I think ideas originate from thoughts, but either positive or negative ones, but without inquiring into the full picture and unraveling it people are left with desires that get in a hit or miss way, or can't figure out why princess or prince charming hasn't come knocking on their door yet. Or why their love has turned sour, or why their bank won't yet cash a check for that new beemer.

I changed a health problem through making a conscious choice and went form looking like 30 to looking like 22, something that lasted for another 3 decades; then choices compiled that I wasn't even conscious of that kicked in to take me out of those conscious choices and into fear and sadness. I got hammered with all kinds of things that looked like life was going to take me under and affected my life in a hard way. Now, scrambling to inquire what choices - ideas thoughts - started everything. This process in no way looks like the secret LOA so I can't see any resemblance. That said, the Abrahamic law of duality is more steadfast than any law of attraction, and the LOA actually feeds into the Abrahamic law of duality, polarity and decay in a constant battle to change things, or get things.

Do you think the LOS, law of science opposite attracts and similarities repel each other fits in to the Abrahamic law of duality and the Law of Attraction to manipulate the law of duality?