Why does The Book of Mormon teach 4th and 5th century Creeds

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: Why does The Book of Mormon teach 4th and 5th century Cr

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipper wrote:How is the existence Israel explained and why is it in the center of everything over and over. Why are prophetic revelations coming to be fulfilled. Do you realize that until the 1920's the likelihood that Israel would ever exist again was pretty must considered allegorical and that all the blessings GOD promised Israel supposedly fell solely to the CHURCH. The reality is that most Christians who believed this way are having a harder and harder time explaining Israel and the fact that the US now recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Now, who would have imagined that 5 years ago? Who would imagine that there is the reality that the Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem? What small percentage of the world's population is of Jewish descent? And yet they are among the smartest, the most talented, the brightest and coveted group of people that ever lived. And they just happen to be the ones to whom Jesus born.......................

Wow. So if the Mormons build a temple at the temple lot in Jackson County Missouri you will convert to that faith?
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:How is the existence Israel explained and why is it in the center of everything over and over. Why are prophetic revelations coming to be fulfilled. Do you realize that until the 1920's the likelihood that Israel would ever exist again was pretty must considered allegorical and that all the blessings GOD promised Israel supposedly fell solely to the CHURCH. The reality is that most Christians who believed this way are having a harder and harder time explaining Israel and the fact that the US now recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Now, who would have imagined that 5 years ago? Who would imagine that there is the reality that the Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem? What small percentage of the world's population is of Jewish descent? And yet they are among the smartest, the most talented, the brightest and coveted group of people that ever lived. And they just happen to be the ones to whom Jesus born.......................

Wow. So if the Mormons build a temple at the temple lot in Jackson County Missouri you will convert to that faith?
Mormons are not Jewish and trying to live entirely according to Old Testament Law. And only Jerusalem is the cornerstone to following the precepts of Mosaic legalism. Not that that will save the Jews! However, the placing of the image of the Antichrist in that temple midway through the TRIBULATION will cause the blinders to fall off their eyes. This will result in the martyrdom of 144,000 Jewish males (12,000 from each tribe) --- the result of a revolt.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipper wrote:144,000 Jewish males (12,000 from each tribe)

So never a response to the point being made but only distractions. Let me play too. Jehovah Witnesses have a different interpretation here. If only the Bible were something less vague than a horoscope. :lol:
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:144,000 Jewish males (12,000 from each tribe)

So never a response to the point being made but only distractions. Let me play too. Jehovah Witnesses have a different interpretation here. If only the Bible were something less vague than a horoscope. :lol:

The JWs do not accept what the Bible reads very simply. What they believe as A Watchtower publication states that “the final number of the heavenly church will be 144,000, according to God’s decree” (Let God Be True, p. 113). The balance of saved humanity, they contend, will live on God’s glorified earth.

The problem with this is that the only ones in heaven must be entirely of JEWISH descent: Revelation 7:4-8

4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel. 5 From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben 12,000, from the tribe of Gad 12,000, 6 from the tribe of Asher 12,000, from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000, from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000, 7 from the tribe of Simeon 12,000, from the tribe of Levi 12,000, from the tribe of Issachar 12,000, 8 from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000, from the tribe of Joseph 12,000, from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

In Revelation 14 we find the 144,000 have an added bonus

1 Then I looked, and there was the Lamb standing on Mount Tziyon; and with him were 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads. 2 I heard a sound from heaven like the sound of rushing waters and like the sound of pealing thunder; the sound I heard was also like that of harpists playing on their harps. 3 They were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living beings and the elders, and no one could learn the song except the 144,000 who have been ransomed from the world. 4 These are the ones who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins; they follow the Lamb wherever he goes; they have been ransomed from among humanity as firstfruits for God and the Lamb; 5 on their lips no lie was found — they are without defect...

The Bible isn't vague --- people just don't accept it for what it says.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:
The Bible isn't vague --- people just don't accept it for what it says.

Of course they don't. It's full of contradictions, lies, gibberish and vicious nonsense, just like you'd expect from ignorant sheepherders who believed in a flat Earth. Humanity has long since outgrown the Bible. You owe everything to scientists now. Biblethumpers didn't create the World Wide Web, physicists did. :cool:

Maybe you should use more capitals. That's always convincing. :biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

LittleNipper wrote:The Bible isn't vague --- people just don't accept it for what {I say} it says.

^
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Yep, believing in the Bible ensures moral superiority.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/cri ... fI4UHCLr28

New accusations of sexual assault by a megachurch preschool volunteer came out in a lawsuit this week after police in North Charleston arrested the man for abusing a 3-year-old boy, according WCSC.

Police arrested Jacop Hazlett, 28, after surveillance cameras at the NewSpring Church campus in North Charleston caught him allegedly molesting a 3-year-old boy, ABC News 4 reports.

That alleged assault happened on Sunday, according to CBS 17, when police say Hazlett took the 3-year-old boy to the bathroom. Police say Hazlett performed oral sex on the boy in the classroom bathroom, the station reports.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

mikegriffith1 wrote:Actually, if you understand the Hebraic background of the Book of Mormon, you can clearly see that the Book of Mormon teaches that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.

The Creeds do teach Jesus was subordinate to The Father, The Athanasion on line 33 says inferior or subordinate
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

mikegriffith1 wrote:Actually, if you understand the Hebraic background of the Book of Mormon, you can clearly see that the Book of Mormon teaches that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.

Only if you ignore the original version of the Book of Mormon, you know, before Joseph amended his thinking (and subsequently the book) on the Father & Son relationship.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

I have a question wrote:

Only if you ignore the original version of the Book of Mormon, you know, before Joseph amended his thinking (and subsequently the book) on the Father & Son relationship.

When doesn't the Book of Mormon ever agree with Mormonism ? :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/tJmtomW.jpg

https://thetruthaboutmormonism-creeksal ... le-of.html
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve