Why does The Book of Mormon teach 4th and 5th century Creeds

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Re: Why does The Book of Mormon teach 4th and 5th century Cr

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

Actually, if you understand the Hebraic background of the Book of Mormon, you can clearly see that the Book of Mormon teaches that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

mikegriffith1 wrote:Actually, if you understand the Hebraic background of the Book of Mormon, you can clearly see that the Book of Mormon teaches that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.

The Hebraic? Even the Hebrews didn't understand their God as a member of a threesome Godhead. What does Hebrew background bring that isn't normally grapsed?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

mikegriffith1 wrote:Actually, if you understand the Hebraic background of the Book of Mormon, you can clearly see that the Book of Mormon teaches that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.

Actually, it doesn't teach that in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon doesn't teach that there are three separate divine beings in the Godhead and that the Son is subordinate to the Father.

2nd Nephi:

11:7 ...But there is a God, and he is Christ, and he cometh in the fulness of his own time.

26:12 And as I spake concerning the convincing of the Jews, that Jesus is the very Christ, it must needs be that the Gentiles be convinced also that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God;

Mosiah:

3:8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

5:15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.

7:27 And because he said unto them that Christ was the God, the Father of all things, and said that he should take upon him the image of man, and it should be the image after which man was created in the beginning; or in other words, he said that man was created after the image of God, and that God should come down among the children of men, and take upon him flesh and blood, and go forth upon the face of the earth --

Alma:

11:38-39 Now Zeezrom saith again unto him: Is the Son of God the very Eternal Father?
And Amulek said unto him: Yea, he is the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth, and all things which in them are; he is the beginning and the end, the first and the last;

11:44 ...but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

Helaman:

14:12 And also that ye might know of the coming of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and of earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and that ye might know of the signs of his coming, to the intent that ye might believe on his name.

3rd Nephi:

11:14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.

11:36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

Ether:

3:14 ...Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.

And we have also 1st Nephi 11:18, 11:21, 11:32, and 13:40 from the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon:

11:18 And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin which thou seest is the mother of God after the manner of the flesh.

11:21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Eternal Father.

11:32 ...And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people, yea, the everlasting God was judged of the world.

13:40 ...that the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto Him, or they cannot be saved.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Has the Celestial Forum now become a Ghost town?? There is not anybody posting around here anymore.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

That's exactly what The Creeds teach, Three separate and distinct persons and line 33 of the Athanasion Creed says Jesus was subordinate and inferior to the Father
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Really, Mike? You know there are a lot of Hebrew scholars in the world but...funny, they aren't Mormon. In fact most of them are Jewish and if you ask them about the Book of Mormon they will probably laugh their a@@es off. Try it. :lol:

I met Jonathan Shunary when he was working at BYU on a Hebrew translation of the Bible. He confided in me that he found it utterly unbelievable but it was a paying job. :lol: Jonathan was not LDS, you see.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maksutov wrote:I met Jonathan Shunary when he was working at BYU on a Hebrew translation of the Bible. He confided in me that he found it utterly unbelievable but it was a paying job. :lol: Jonathan was not LDS, you see.

Was he the author who wrote:
Cows and Oxen in a tropical rainforest?
Israelites speaking Egyptian 600 years after the exodus?
Steel. Oh, and STEEL?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

The Athanasion clearly teaches the subornation of Jesus to God the Father on line 33
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Exiled wrote:It was a man made invention just like the Bible.

What I don't understand with people like yourself is that the Bible is nothing like any other literature written by all the so called sophisticated pagan cultures that existed 4000 plus odd years ago. The Bible is entirely different in character then other "religious" literature of the period. Yet atheists will often say the Bible is the work of a bunch of know nothing nomadic shepherds... Read the Bible and then read even the Book of Mormon and you will note differences. The Book of Mormon is at best quaint. The Bible is authoritative. The Book of Mormon is akin to some romantic novel of the 19th century written in fake Elizabethan twang. My bet is that you never read anything but watch but animas...
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The Bible is a deliberate political curation of Iron Age blog posts, written by people with an agenda who mostly didn't witness the events about which they are exaggerating blogging, pulled together by manipulative people with an agenda around power and control. Its contents are so ambiguous that they can be used to justify both ends and the middle depending on what the agenda of the person reading into them is.

The Book of Mormon is likewise an attempt at assuming power through the use of religious-based writing with barely hidden agenda of aggrandising and justifying the acts and intentions and status of the person involved in its production.

If you need either to keep your decision making "christlike" then you must be a pretty lousy human.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')