Ed Goble and bomGeo: Brant Gardner on your evidence

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Ed Goble and bomGeo: Brant Gardner on your evidence

Post by _Maksutov »

http://www.fairmormon.org/wp-content/up ... e-true.pdf

"It is absolutely fascinating that these two faithful attempts to bolster our understanding of the Book of Mormon should look to so different a geography to make their case, but end up relying on similarly controversial forgeries as part of that process."
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Ed Goble and bomGeo: Brant Gardner on your evidence

Post by _Themis »

Does Brant Gardner think Joseph actually had gold plates that would translate into over 1500 English pages? His MO seems to be wildly reinterpreting the Book of Mormon to fit with what the experts have discovered about people living in ancient Mesoamerica. Maybe much better then the two clowns his article talks about, but still a desperate attempt to save Mormonism.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Themis wrote:Does Brant Gardner think Joseph actually had gold plates that would translate into over 1500 English pages? His MO seems to be wildly reinterpreting the Book of Mormon to fit with what the experts have discovered about people living in ancient Mesoamerica. Maybe much better then the two clowns his article talks about, but still a desperate attempt to save Mormonism.

Indeed. Providing a more truthy, sciencey sounding testimony might be the best that Mopologetics can do. :wink:

I found it interesting that this is the editor of Wayne May's Ancient America magazine.

http://www.flavinscorner.com/collin.htm

Jason Colavito unpacks it here:

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/fring ... ph-problem

AA seems pretty cozy with the LDS and especially Meldrum crowd.

http://www.ldsarchaeology.com/ancient-a ... cials.html
_EdGoble
_Emeritus

Post by _EdGoble »

Interesting that you would title this Brant Gardner on "your" evidence, as if I still own this thing, as if I still share responsibility for it, or as if I am still connected to that so-called "evidence." What do you seek to gain by posting this? Were you googling my name to see what kind of stuff is out there? Trying to make me look bad in some way? I never have met Mr. "Joseph" personally, nor in my interactions with May, did I ever have any direct interaction with Mr. "Joseph." Mr. "Joseph" had nothing directly to do with the book "This Land: Zarahemla and the Nephite Nation." It was a partnership ONLY between May and myself.

Ah, yes, Brant's good ol' hit piece on my first book, and of course, FAIRMormon was perfectly willing without the least bit of hesitation or empathy to take down fellow apologists who did not espouse their favored ideologies by publishing this hit piece. Needless to say that my relationship with FAIRMormon has always been a rocky one.

Brant published my first retraction (which appeared originally in an email group) in it without my knowledge or input, and I didn't even know his article existed or was going to be published and was given no opportunity to review or give any kind of statement, which says a lot for what kind of people they are. Gratefully, in successive reviews, Brant actually approached me for input AFTER my retractions.

I do have Brant to thank for being the catalyst in the severing of my partnership with May though, because May got real mad at me when he found out that I retracted the book, because it affected his business interests.

Obviously, you seem to be unaware of my almost decade-and-a-half-old retractions of everything in that book, especially the Michigan Tablets and Burrows Cave so-called artifacts and so forth. I have nothing to do with it anymore and haven't since the early 2000's.

It is Wayne May that continues to push it.

I have long since divested myself of any responsibility for the continued publication of that book. Wayne May owns the rights to it, and I haven't got money from sales from it since 2002 when I signed my interest in it over to May to wash my hands of it.

The unfortunate fact remains that I am the original architect of the modern Heartland Theory of the Book of Mormon, contrary to the claims of Rod Meldrum, a piece of unfortunate fame that I do not care anymore to be associated with (if only there was such thing as a time machine), because that theory is also among my retractions. If only there were such thing as a time machine, I would go back and stop myself from having any involvement with May to begin with. What else would you like to hear? Do you have any mistakes in your past, like bad marriages or anything that you wish you could have avoided or wish you could change?

This is actually where I clean up the mess from that book and start over:

https://www.amazon.com/Resurrecting-Cumorah-Edwin-Goble/dp/1456506455/
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Ed, thanks for your reply. Good of you to explain your situation.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Wow, so much politics in Book of Mormon apologetics with so little valid evidence. The more things change the more they stay the same. I also do appreciate your explanation though Ed. Thank you for clarifying it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Philo Sofee wrote:Wow, so much politics in Book of Mormon apologetics with so little valid evidence. The more things change the more they stay the same. I also do appreciate your explanation though Ed. Thank you for clarifying it.

The less substance, the more handwaving and protesting and obfuscating--all ploys of politicians. :lol:

Ed has standards. I think the board should adopt him. :wink:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Wow, so much politics in Book of Mormon apologetics with so little valid evidence. The more things change the more they stay the same. I also do appreciate your explanation though Ed. Thank you for clarifying it.

The less substance, the more handwaving and protesting and obfuscating--all ploys of politicians. :lol:

Ed has standards. I think the board should adopt him. :wink:

I've been impressed with Ed's efforts, I just honestly can't come to the same conclusions of authenticity.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."