Time travelin' Mormons

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: Time travelin' Mormons

Post by _AmyJo »

Themis wrote:
AmyJo wrote:Ever wonder about the possibility of time travel? I have.

Yes, but I think most have. Even people like Einstein. I am not aware of any of the experts that consider it possible, based on current understandings of the laws of the universe, that anyone of us could travel forward or back in time.

Since we haven't actually been able to transport ourselves into the past or future yet, I've wondered about the possibility of other dimensions of time that may co-exist with us, in sort of parallel universes or worlds.

Well we certainly don't know enough to say absolutely no, but it is so much speculation as not to be more then sci-fi atm. Fun to think about, but not seriously. Same with time travel. They do make some good scifi stories though like Back to the future.

Of interest, "Although many people believe that time travel is strictly science fiction, it is not. Actually, as odd as this may sound, we are all time travelers. We are traveling from the present to the future. Since all of us move at speeds far below the speed of light, we are essentially all moving in time at the same rate. We measure our movement in time in arbitrary units. The measurement may be in seconds, minutes, hours, etc., based on a conventional clock, or we may be measuring our movement in time on an atomic clock, which is the most accurate type of clock humankind has developed to measure the passage of time.

I realize viewing ourselves as time travelers is not what most people think about when they consider time travel. Most people envision traveling between points in time (e.g. from the present to the past or vice versa), without experiencing the intervening intervals. In this article, we will address forward time travel, since its science and experimental verification is widely accepted by the scientific community.

Einstein’s special theory of relativity, published in 1905, was the first to give scientific meaning to forward time travel. This theory predicted a strange new phenomenon, time dilation. What is time dilation? It is a phenomenon where time moves slower for any mass accelerated near the speed of light. If that mass were a clock, for example, the hands of the clock would appear to be moving slower than a clock at rest. Time dilation is an experimentally verified fact. In 1977, Bailey et al. accelerated a muon, a negatively charged subatomic particle about 200 times heavier than an electron, close to the speed of light, using the CERN Muon storage ring. The accelerated muon’s lifetime increased almost thirty times that of a muon at rest. This time dilation effect suggests that the muon is able to travel to the future, since it continues to exist at a future time. There is also a time dilation effect caused by gravity, but due to its complexity, we will save discussing gravitational time dilation for a potential future article.

Einstein’s special theory of relativity, including time dilation, is widely accepted by the scientific community. In fact, Einstein’s special theory of relativity is the “gold standard” of theories, having withstood over 100 years of experimental verification. However, to date we have not been able to build a time machine to send larger objects, like humans, into the future.

To provide insight into the engineering difficulty of transporting a human into the future, let us consider what is termed the “twin paradox.” Picture a pair of twins. One twin boards a spaceship that leaves Earth at a velocity close to the speed of light (e.g. 95 percent of the speed of light), and returns to Earth a year later relative to the clock on the spaceship. When the space bound twin returns, he or she is one Earth year older. However, for the twin that remained on Earth, approximately three Earth years will have passed. The twin in the spaceship has time traveled to the Earth’s future. The scientific community views the twin paradox a scientific fact, having proven its validity experimentally using particle accelerators.

What is the engineering difficulty regarding the above scenario? It is impossible using today’s science to build a spaceship capable of traveling close to the speed of light. According to Einstein’s special theory of relativity, both the energy required, and the mass of the spaceship approach infinity as the spaceship approaches the speed of light. Today’s science is only able to accelerate subatomic particles close to the speed of light. The energy to accelerate a spaceship close to the speed of light requires we learn to harness extremely large energy sources. For example, we may need to learn to harness the energy equivalence of a star, similar to our Sun.

How close are we to building a practical time machine capable of sending humans to the future? This is a judgment call. If you examine the real science of time travel, there is widespread agreement on the theoretical foundation suggesting forward time travel is possible. Unfortunately, the engineering associated with building a machine capable of sending humans into the future has proved a formidable task. In my judgment, we are at least several decades, or more, away from solving the engineering problems associated with human time travel to the future."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/louis-a-d ... 72750.html

"Scientific research
Probably the most well-known story of accidental time travel is the Philadelphia experiment which allegedly took place in 1943 with the purpose of cloaking a ship and making it invisible to enemies’ radar. However, it was said that the experiment went terribly wrong – the ship not only vanished completely from Philadelphia but it was teleported to Norfolk and went back in time for 10 seconds. When the ship appeared again some crew members were physically fused to bulkheads, others developed mental disorders, a few disappeared completely, and some reported travelling into the future and back. Allegedly, Nikola Tesla, who was the director of Engineering and Research at Radio Company of America at the time, was involved in the experiment by making all the necessary calculations and drawings and also providing the generators (however he wasn't alive when the experiment took place, he died a few months before the experiment took place).

In 1960, we have another interesting case report of scientist Pellegrino Ernetti , who claimed that he developed a machine that would enable someone to see in the past, the Chronivisor. His theory was that anything that happens leaves an energy mark that can never be destroyed (something like the mystical Akashic Records). So he allegedly developed this machine that could detect, magnify and convert this energy into an image – something like a TV showing what happened in the past.

Relativity Theory - Travel in TimeIn the 1980s, there are reports of another controversial experiment, the Montauk project , which again allegedly experimented with time travel among other things. Whether the Philadelphia and Montauk experiments actually took place is still under debate. However, it is common sense to assume that the military would definitely be interested in the possibility of time travel and would engage in extensive research on the subject.

Moving on, in 2004, Marlin Pohlman applied for a patent for a method of gravity distortion and time displacement. Marlin Pohlman is a scientist, engineer, and member of Mensa with a Bachelor, MBA and PhD. And only last year, Wasfi Alshdaifat filed another patent for a space compression and time dilation machine that could be used for time travel.

Physicist Professor Ronald Lawrence Mallett of the University of Connecticut, is working on the concept of time travel, based on Einstein’s theory of relativity, and is absolutely convinced that time travelling is feasible. He predicts that human time travel will be possible in our century. Particle physicist Brian Cox agrees that time travel is possible but only in one direction.

We have the mysterious story of Ali Razeqi, managing director of the Iranian Centre for Strategic Inventions, who claimed that he developed a device that can see anywhere from 3 to 5 years in the future. His initial story disappeared from the internet a few hours after it was published.

In theory, time travel is possible, even if it is difficult to comprehend. Has the research cited above brought us closer towards making time travel a reality? If so, we can only hope that the technology does not get into the wrong hands."

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-le ... nce-001242
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Amy Jo, I believe you. It is the one thing that I keep from Mormon days..because it is not just Mormon..I believe that there is life after death as it has touched me also. When my husband died I had many "strange" experiences that cannot be explained other than he was listening to my thoughts..and actually talked to me.

My grandmother had this same experience as a widow and I have no doubt that there is a veil in time that can transcend across..how it happens and why there seems to be no explantion.

Just wanted you to know that I do believe you. There is a connection that has nothing to do with religion ...but with family..a future..and a chance to change it because they know us.
Hugs..Candygal
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

candygal wrote:Amy Jo, I believe you. It is the one thing that I keep from Mormon days..because it is not just Mormon..I believe that there is life after death as it has touched me also. When my husband died I had many "strange" experiences that cannot be explained other than he was listening to my thoughts..and actually talked to me.

My grandmother had this same experience as a widow and I have no doubt that there is a veil in time that can transcend across..how it happens and why there seems to be no explantion.

Just wanted you to know that I do believe you. There is a connection that has nothing to do with religion ...but with family..a future..and a chance to change it because they know us.
Hugs..Candygal

Thank you so much for sharing that.

I dreamt of my true love the night before we met in real life. Then during the time we knew each other I would have signs that would come true, sometimes the next day. He died when I was 22, and he was 29. I dreamt of his dying in the months before he did. Then after he was gone, but before I found out about his passing I dreamt we were married in heaven. He was not LDS. I had several messages from him after he died from beyond the grave.

Like you I feel there's a soul connection that transcends time and space. I believe that too. The spirits of our loved ones are much closer to us than we realize. Maybe they are our sometimes guardian angels who protect us from unseen dangers. And at other times they comfort us and guide us.