Brigham Young's blasphemy?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_searcher
_Emeritus

Brigham Young's blasphemy?

Post by _searcher »

This was posted on another forum.

Brigham Young in the early days said:
“My experience has taught me, and it has become a principle with me, that it is never of any benefit to give out and out to man or woman money, food, clothing, or anything else if they are able-bodied and can work and earn what they need when there is anything on earth for them to do. This is my principle and I try to act upon it. To pursue a contrary course would ruin any community in the world and make them idlers.

“To give to the idler is as wicked as anything else. Never give anything to the idler.”

Jesus said: "Give to every man that asketh thee." (Luke 6:30)

You know, I don't want to see these things...

What is apostasy if it is not departing from the ways of God?

And does it not say, "And also trust no one to be your teacher nor your minister, except he be a man of God, walking in his ways and keeping his commandments"? (Mosiah 23:14; the word "minister" means "servant.")

Well, it seems Brother Brigham was not to be trusted. Keys of the kingdom? Succession? What have any of these things to do with reality?

I am not happy with this stuff. On the one hand, it's better to know, I suppose, but on the other hand... (expletive deleted.) "An enemy hath done this," indeed. Now we see who, and how.

http://remnantofjacobforum.com/viewtopi ... 7129#p7124

What I'd like to know is whether Joseph ever said anything on this topic?

Would he have disagreed with Brigham?

Would he have considered what Brigham said here to be blaspemy?

Did Joseph (as president of the church, mayor of Nauvoo, Lt.Gen. of the Nauvoo legion, store keeper, hotel proprietor, bar owner, or Kirtland banker) ever refuse to give anyone anything they asked?

P.S. I tried to do a quote within a quote there, but I'm not sure I did it right.