Alternatives to "broken shelf" expression

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Alternatives to "broken shelf" expression

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Dr. Shades wrote:
moksha wrote:Unhinged door
Fallen chandelier
Sprung trunk
Unwound clock
Herniated abdominal wall
Depreciated Franklin mint coin
Lost faith
Ripped seam
Blown tire
Road kill

If you have a doubt that you can't resolve, how do you put it on a door? Do people typically store things on a chandelier? Do they put things on a clock? If something must be dealt with later, do people put it behind an abdominal wall?

This is the reason why "shelf" works far better than anything you listed. It's the usual place where people put things away for later retrieval, and the thing that breaks when the weight of too many such things exceeds its load-bearing capacity.

I agree with Shades. I was actually about to post the same thing before I read this. :smile:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _moksha »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I agree with Shades. I was actually about to post the same thing before I read this. :smile:

Liz, you have every right to continue talking about your broken shelf rather than your blown tire. You would never put too much air into anything. :smile:
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Store Unit!

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Storage unit!

You rent a place no one knows about. You put all the crap you don't want around your family in there. You start out with a 5 x 5 and it only costs you a bit every month. But then you find out more horsecrap and you have to get a bigger unit. So it's a 5 x 10. Aaaaaah. Done. We'll just lock that up, and keep it away from everyone.

But. You discover more stuff. Mother idiot! There's MORE stuff? I have to get a bigger unit! Time for a 10 x 10. Now it's starting to affect your bottom line and your spouse wonders where you're running off to all the time, and why is there a charge for $100/month to your bank account? What's going on, honey? NOTHING. I'm FINE. Don't worry about it. It's just a thing, sweetie, but I'm dealing with. Your spouse is worried about you. You seem so secretive lately, and you've changed a bit. What's going on?

More stuff? WHAT THE MOTHER “F” ER? WHERE IS ALL THIS STUFF COMING FROM? Wait. DID I JUST SEE MY BROTHER LOAD SOME crap INTO A STORAGE UNIT? ARE THERE OTHERS? I gotta upgrade to 10 x 20 because there's no way I'm going to fill up a 10 x 20. It's $200 month? How am I going to explain this to my spouse? Maybe there's room in the unit for her stuff, too?

Welp.

I just filled up a 10 x 30 and there aren't any bigger units. I gotta figure this out. It's costing me too much. It's taking up too much space in my life. I wonder how many units I can afford before I'm forced to make make a choice between hoarding a bunch of crap I don't need, or freeing myself from the all the baggage costing me so much every month.

Oh. by the way, my wife just rented a 5 x 5!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

How about "If I shut mind mind down any further, heart and lung function will stop."
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

spotlight wrote:How about "If I shut mind mind down any further, heart and lung function will stop."

True believers don't believe in death. You can't appeal to existential logic. :confused: This is a highly developed system of mind****.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Split Sphincter Syndrome
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Broken.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have read the storage unit story above at least three times now. It has yet to fail to create enjoyment and a laugh.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:
True believers don't believe in death. You can't appeal to existential logic. :confused: This is a highly developed system of mind****.

We believe in death, just not in its permanents.
"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive".
Corinthians 15:22