Thorwald - he should be happy having a personal thread...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Thorwald - he should be happy having a personal thread...

Post by _ludwigm »

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and to speak for them, serving as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people. The message that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy.

Claims of prophethood have existed in many cultures through history, including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, in Ancient Greece, Zoroastrianism, and many others. Traditionally, prophets are regarded as having a role in society that promotes change due to their messages and actions.
Joseph Smith, Jr. who established the Church of Christ in 1830, is considered a prophet by members of the Latter Day Saint movement, of which The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the largest denomination. Additionally, many churches within the movement believe in a succession of living prophets (accepted by Latter Day Saints as "prophets, seers, and revelators") since the time of Joseph Smith. Churches in this movement also sustain their Quorum of the Twelve as prophets, seers, and revelators. The current prophet of the LDS Church is Thomas S. Monson.
Other people throughout history have been described as prophets in the sense of foretelling the future (as opposed to relaying a religious message). Examples of such prophets include:
    Jeane Dixon
    Billy Meier
    Nostradamus
    Coinneach Odhar
    Mother Shipton
    Sri Potuluri Virabrahmendra Swami
    Baba Vanga
    Thorwald

Twelve of a dozen.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Thorwald - he should be happy having a personal thread..

Post by _moksha »

Almost ready to speak up for Nightlion, but perhaps he would be better classified as a geologian.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

moksha wrote:Almost ready to speak up for Nightlion, but perhaps he would be better classified as a geologian.

Check people You want to justify.

One to a milliard (US billion, damn) they may be true.

Up to now, they weren't if it were about god/gods.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Thorwald
_Emeritus

Post by _Thorwald »

ludwigm:

I have several 'personal threads'. I'm surprised you haven't noticed, since you have been responding to them.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Thorwald wrote:ludwigm:

I have several 'personal threads'. I'm surprised you haven't noticed, since you have been responding to them.
On that threads, Thorwald has got all he has deserved.
_Thorwald
_Emeritus

Post by _Thorwald »

ludwigm wrote:
Thorwald wrote:ludwigm:

On that threads, Thorwald has got all he has deserved.

I let God determine what I 'deserve'. In terms of 'persecution', well, I expect it.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Thorwald wrote:I let God determine what I 'deserve'. In terms of 'persecution', well, I expect it.
All self-styled prophets and messiahs had/has persecution complex.
You are not alone.

According to the DSM-IV-TR, persecutory delusions are the most common form of delusions in schizophrenia, where the person believes "he or she is being tormented, followed, tricked, spied on, or ridiculed." In the DSM-IV-TR, persecutory delusions are the main feature of the persecutory type of delusional disorder.