"My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_mledbetter
_Emeritus

Re: "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Post by _mledbetter »

LittleNipper wrote:
Amore wrote:Subgenius,
Thanks for your humble reply. Respect increased.

I see pros and cons for believing in Jesus as Savior...

Cons:
-Human sacrifice is icky and inhumane, even to hope for it. "Thou shalt not kill" you'd think if it was a godly law, would be respected by God in such a significant matter
-Scapegoating shifts response-ability
-Christ is not Jesus' last name nor some exclusive ideal, but what we all can and should strive for
-False god - even Jesus discouraged worshipping him- False idols that breed prejudice (ie white pictures of Jesus throughout places of worship) We're more likely to miss the mark in following the warpings others have done to scriptures.

Pros:
-It provides a personification of spirituality easier to relate to than abstract concepts like "God is love."
-It can inspire compassion & forgiveness beyond without such belief
-Hope that we're so loved worth suffering & dying for

“Christ” comes from christos, a Greek word meaning “anointed.” It is the equivalent of the word mashiach, or Messiah, in Hebrew. Peter actually said that Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of the living God. There is but one Messiah. Christ means Messiah. A saved person can be "Christ" like. But that is the best a human can become through the Holy Spirit.

Why do these religious arguments back and forth now remind me of Russell Crowe's Character, John Nash, obsessing over secret messages in magazine articles--that weren't there--in the movie, A Beautiful Mind?
┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Post by _Amore »

Mledbetter,
Then that would apply to most of the forum...
Each arguing for their own subjectively limited perspective.