Understanding the Scrolls of Abraham

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Understanding the Scrolls of Abraham

Post by _moksha »

Why doesn't modern translation of these scrolls match Joseph Smith's translation of them?

LDS Apologists postulate that a great deal of the scroll is missing. Abraham followed the practice that some of us used for our term papers, of leaving a lot of blank paper after the title page and placing our work last, so that after the teached weighed it in his hand, he could assign a grade.

Those Egyptian priest took advantage of that by using the 2,800 year old scroll as a convenient place to inscribe there funerary prayer. Their motto was "waste not want not". It is on the inner scroll portion containing Abrahams writings that Joseph Smith translated, since the Stone was able to weed out the later writings. It is thought that subsequently the Great Chicago Fire started by Mrs. O'Leary's cow acting irresponsibly with matches, destroyed the inner more lengthy portion of the scroll.

For a more verbose version of this past game changing subject, please visit the FAIRMormon wesbsite.

Hope that helps.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: Understanding the Scrolls of Abraham

Post by _Bazooka »

Is there any credible non Mormon Egyptologist that supports the view that a 'great deal of the scroll is missing'?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Bazooka wrote:Is there any credible non Mormon Egyptologist that supports the view that a 'great deal of the scroll is missing'?

Maybe. How tight would you make your definition of a credible Egyptologist?
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

moksha wrote:
Bazooka wrote:Is there any credible non Mormon Egyptologist that supports the view that a 'great deal of the scroll is missing'?

Maybe. How tight would you make your definition of a credible Egyptologist?

Okay, they need to be qualified in Egyptology and be credible within their peer group (on the subject of Egyptology, rather than baseball cards).
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Bazooka wrote:
Okay, they need to be qualified in Egyptology and be credible within their peer group (on the subject of Egyptology, rather than baseball cards).

Keep in mind that one need not be an egyptologist to calculate scroll length. I think Chris Smith and Mortal man have provided a very reasonable calculation on this.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Themis wrote:
Bazooka wrote:

Keep in mind that one need not be an egyptologist to calculate scroll length. I think Chris Smith and Mortal man have provided a very reasonable calculation on this.

That's good with me.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Themis wrote:
Keep in mind that one need not be an Egyptologist to calculate scroll length.

Bazooka needs to realize that it is not the length of a scroll that matters, but what you do with it. Joseph Smith knew exactly what to do with his scroll. Don't try to tell me that modern translators who go in for scroll length and end up being slapped around and called a "beeotch" wouldn't trade it all in for Joseph's celestial promise.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

moksha wrote:Bazooka needs to realize that it is not the length of a scroll that matters, but what you do with it.

Spoken like a penguin with scroll envy....
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Bazooka wrote:
moksha wrote:Bazooka needs to realize that it is not the length of a scroll that matters, but what you do with it.

Spoken like a penguin with scroll envy....

I like it when you guys talk about tight scrolls and long length.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Bazooka wrote:Spoken like a penguin with scroll envy....
The Erotic Apologist wrote:I like it when you guys talk about tight scrolls and long length.

Honi soit qui mal y pense (ɔni swa ki mal i pɛ̃s)

The motto appears in a royal coat of arms of the 17th century on the ceiling of Bath Abbey:
Image Has it a weird shape, hasn't it?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei