Thoughts regarding God's Grace

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Thoughts regarding God's Grace

Post by _moksha »

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Wouldn't Grace cover message board posters getting an exemption?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_LeVay
_Emeritus

Post by _LeVay »

moksha wrote:
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Wouldn't Grace cover message board posters getting an exemption?

Okay, I admit it, I'm not a very good Satanist. Martin Luther was a much better Satanist than I am...

MARTIN LUTHER: "Sin Boldly — No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day”

:twisted:
REGIE SATANAS!

AVE SATANAS!

HAIL SATAN!
_j2christopher
_Emeritus

Post by _j2christopher »

moksha wrote:Life and our religious devotions are not about earning brownie points for added bonus exaltation. God granted this through his Grace. We worship to give thanks to God, rather than appeasing or coaxing God to free us from droughts, deluges, earthquakes and the dread fire demons, like our more primitive ancestors did.

....Good works stand alone. Jesus told us to do them. Almost all religions have this same urging and all worthwhile ethical systems do so as well. It is good policy and separates us from the Ferengi and Ayn Randians.

Are you saying God Will grant unto us exultation regardless of our works?
_j2christopher
_Emeritus

Post by _j2christopher »

Albion wrote:The traditional Christian understanding of grace is not that it is God's unconditional love but that it is God's love that we do not deserve...something we do not merit but that he gives anyway.

We do deserve his grace. Part of "The Plan" was that our first parents should "fall," and then the rest of us be born into those fallen conditions. At the same time, we were redeemed from the physical death through the resurrection and then from the spiritual death through atonement of Christ. God would not have sent us here without a means for that redemption. But...he requires that we work for the spiritual redemption. When we do what God asks, he has promised to bless us, and he is bound by the promise.

Alma exhorted the apostate Nephites "and now, my beloved brethren, I desire that ye should remember these things, and that ye should work out your salvation with fear before God, and that ye should no more deny the coming of Christ" (Alma 34:37). Paul exhorted the Philippians saying, "wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12).

"Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world. For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked. And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell; yea, and he has also said that the righteous shall sit down in his kingdom, to go no more out; but their garments should be made white through the blood of the Lamb" (Alma 34:34-36).
_Albion
_Emeritus

Post by _Albion »

I think you are assuming that I am Mormon and would accept Mormon sources and the Mormon position. I am not and I don't. I would submit that "working out" and "working for" are two different concepts.
_LeVay
_Emeritus

Post by _LeVay »

Albion wrote:I think you are assuming that I am Mormon and would accept Mormon sources and the Mormon position. I am not and I don't. I would submit that "working out" and "working for" are two different concepts.

Do you have anything to offer in support of your supernatural belief system that doesn't depend on an a priori belief in the Bible and hoary traditions?
REGIE SATANAS!

AVE SATANAS!

HAIL SATAN!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

j2christopher wrote:
Are you saying God Will grant unto us exultation regardless of our works?

Maybe. God most likey loves us for being part of his creation. We are made in His image although whether that was during His period of facination with surrealism is yet to be seen. Independent of that love is Jesus wish for all of us to do good works. He was an action oriented kind of savior.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_LeVay
_Emeritus

Post by _LeVay »

:lol: :biggrin:
Anybody who would post such a delightfully bizarre image is OK in my book.
REGIE SATANAS!

AVE SATANAS!

HAIL SATAN!