Jesus Apostles juxtopse Joseph's

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_seven7up
_Emeritus

Re: Jesus Apostles juxtopse Joseph's

Post by _seven7up »

seven7up wrote:
First, let's start by saying that Christ's apostles were with him during his mortal ministry.

Bazooka wrote:I'm pretty sure the Apostle Paul wasn't....

That's true, which is why some people questioned Paul's apostleship. However, Paul claimed to have developed a relationship with the resurrected Christ, including personal visitations from the resurrected Lord.

-7up
_seven7up
_Emeritus

Post by _seven7up »

Mittens wrote:seven7up said Abraham lied yet he failed to say it was God who told him to lie

Abraham 2:

22 And it came to pass when I was come near to enter into Egypt, the Lord asaid unto me: Behold, Sarai, thy wife, is a very fair woman to look upon;

23 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see her, they will say—She is his wife; and they will kill you, but they will save her alive; therefore see that ye do on this wise:

24 Let her say unto the Egyptians, she is thy sister, and thy soul shall live.

25 And it came to pass that I, Abraham, told Sarai, my wife, all that the Lord had said unto me—Therefore say unto them, I pray thee, thou art my sister, that it may be well with me for thy sake, and my soul shall live because of thee.

Here is a more detailed explanation:

http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/0120.htm

-7up
_seven7up
_Emeritus

Post by _seven7up »

Bazooka wrote:Given the magnificence that Jesus is portrayed as having, why would the people He chose to be closest to Him be so indifferent to His trials and tribulations....especially as they written so dramatically by people who weren't there.

Because people are so utterly flawed, and these people reflect the majority of all of us. We can relate to them.

Bazooka wrote:Keeping in mind those Apostles were within sight of Him the whole time this was going down, yet still they fell asleep?

I don't know if the Apostles were aware of these details at the moment. They may have seen the clots of blood on his skin when the Romans came with the torches.

There were many things like this, where they didn't realize what was going on exactly, and they only put it all together later. For example:

John 2
19 Jesus answered, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Furthermore, when the writers of the New Testament eventually wrote down the gospels, we believe that we were inspired by the spirit to write what they wrote.

-7up
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

seven7up wrote:
Bazooka wrote:Given the magnificence that Jesus is portrayed as having, why would the people He chose to be closest to Him be so indifferent to His trials and tribulations....especially as they written so dramatically by people who weren't there.

Because people are so utterly flawed, and these people reflect the majority of all of us. We can relate to them.

If my friend were going through a personal trial so intense it caused him to weep and sweat buckets, I wouldn't be sat around sleeping.
I cannot relate to the Apostles sleeping on the job at all. Maybe I'm just a better friend than you or the Apostles.

Bazooka wrote:Keeping in mind those Apostles were within sight of Him the whole time this was going down, yet still they fell asleep?

I don't know if the Apostles were aware of these details at the moment. They may have seen the clots of blood on his skin when the Romans came with the torches.

There were many things like this, where they didn't realize what was going on exactly, and they only put it all together later. For example:

John 2
19 Jesus answered, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Furthermore, when the writers of the New Testament eventually wrote down the gospels, we believe that we were inspired by the spirit to write what they wrote.

-7up

You seem to be suggesting that the Apostles were clueless dolts.
Really?
The Apostles didn't realise the trial that Jesus was going through and so had to make up the tale after the event when the voices in their heart/head had them embellish what they themselves had witnessed?

36 ¶Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.

37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/matt/26?lang=eng

So you have to explain why these Apostles were so negligent that even when Jesus pointed out a second and third time that He was going through a trial and He needed them to stay awake, they still dozed off and were inattentive. Great friends.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)