Prayer and Learning by the Spirit

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Prayer and Learning by the Spirit

Post by _RockSlider »

SteelHead wrote:How about the proponents of the holy ghost provide some tangible metric demonstrating that said ghost actually provided value in people's lives?

You must not have watched the three two minute videos ... it was all laid out for you there.

Not to spoil it for you, but .... you might expect your dead mother to remind you to pray, but more likely you get this bright but diffused light that encourages you one step further into the unknown (huh???)

But in all fairness, I assume the videos are intentionally "Milk" intended for the investigator. I assume (is this true active members out there) that active members have a much higher expectation and understanding of what Personal Revelation is all about.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

RockSlider wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about the whole pearls before swine, and sacred not secret aspects of the church. Funny how even two members in good standing would feel uncomfortable sharing their own personal experiences of learning by the spirit.

I believe Jay views the church as apostate. What I find interesting is that he and subby just want people to accept what they say as truth, and avoid questions they cannot answer regarding the spiritual experience. My favorite is about what the body and natural environment are capable of producing.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Themis wrote:I believe Jay views the church as apostate.

Anybody I know who has seriously sought after "Prayer and Learning by the Spirit" view the church as apostate.

Sub thinks I'm playing some passive aggressive, reverse psychology thing by stating that I have my doubts, based on what he has shared so far that he really has any substantial experience in this.

As noted, one sign of if he did would be ... he viewed the church as apostate.

pretty sad ... but true in my experience.

edit:

why do you suppose bednar/church dummies it down so much?
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

RockSlider wrote:
subgenius wrote:http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=1737858982001

a 3 part (each part about two minutes) message on this subject from Elder Bednar.

Not sure why these messages are so difficult for Bazooka to discern or why Rock finds them as a source of justifiable alienation in the church.

Thanks for the videos, I viewed them with interest. It seems I hardly recognize the church I left 10 years or so ago.

I've been thinking a lot about the whole pearls before swine, and sacred not secret aspects of the church. Funny how even two members in good standing would feel uncomfortable sharing their own personal experiences of learning by the spirit. ...(snip)....

I never said i was uncomfortable - your assumptions are revealing are they not?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

subgenius wrote:I never said i was uncomfortable - your assumptions are revealing are they not?

I see you still have nothing to add to this discussion. I'm disappointed but no longer surprised.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

RockSlider wrote:
Anybody I know who has seriously sought after "Prayer and Learning by the Spirit" view the church as apostate.

I do see this tendency. They cannot seem to get the same answers. Seems odd if the experience is suppose to be coming from divine being. I guess this divine being couldn't think of a clearer way to communicate.

Sub thinks I'm playing some passive aggressive, reverse psychology thing by stating that I have my doubts, based on what he has shared so far that he really has any substantial experience in this.

Probably not. Many want to be viewed as very spiritual.