The Mountain Meadows Massacre

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Jutta
_Emeritus

Re: The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Post by _Jutta »

Bazooka, you posted this:

Although they are Church employees, the authors have retained[b] full editorial control [/b]and have drawn their own conclusions from the exhaustive body of historical material they assembled. They have been given full access to all relevant materials held by the Church. Two of the significant conclusions they have reached are (1) that the message conveying the will and intent of Brigham Young not to interfere with the immigrants arrived too late, and (2) that the responsibility for the massacre lies with local leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the regions near Mountain Meadows who also held civic and military positions and with members of the Church acting under their direction.

"Although no event in history can fully be known, the work of these three authors has enabled us to know more than we ever have known about this unspeakable episode. The truth, as we have come to know it, saddens us deeply. The gospel of Jesus Christ that we espouse abhors the cold-blooded killing of men, women, and children. Indeed, it advocates peace and forgiveness. What was done here long ago by members of our Church represents a terrible and inexcusable departure from Christian teaching and conduct. We cannot change what happened, but we can remember and honor those who were killed here.

"We express profound regret for the massacre carried out in this valley 150 years ago today and for the undue and untold suffering experienced by the victims then and by their relatives to the present time."
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mountain-meadows-massacre[/quote]

I doubt that the authors saw ALL RELEVANT historical documents. And I have doubts that all authors; provided that they were active members of the church, came to independent conclusions at that time.
Why?
Because I have noticed something when I wrote a manuscript about Joseph Smith (life and teachings). Who wants to read it it is written and contained in German more than 200 sides and it is without photos.
When I wrote it, I was already excommunicated for many years. And scissors which what I write wanted to determine nevertheless were in me. What harms the church? May I can wrote what I did know, e.g., that Joseph Smith married many wives of other men, if that would harms the church?
And like Dr. Michael Quinn, the LDS imposed on historians; many documents were not accessible for him either as historian.
Therefore I am always a little careful with such statements.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.” --- G.K. Chesterton