The Restoration of Wives on the Side?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

The Restoration of Wives on the Side?

Post by _moksha »

In the early days of the LDS Church, where a designated man of righteousness might have a number of wives on the side that neither lived with him nor whom were able to acknowledge their marriage for fear that the righteous man's wife would go ballistic, did this constitute the restoration of concubinage before the fuller introduction to the Principle of Polygamy, enabling the Principle to gain its full bloom in Utah?

Seems like such concubinage could be viewed as a necessary intermediary step necessary in the fulfillment of all things, including avoiding constant confrontations with an unreasonable first wife.

Would God seek to preclude offspring given such tentative circumstances and wait for the promised land of Utah for true fecundity?

Anyway, I was just playing with this idea. If anyone wants to run with it and develop it into a Master's thesis for Brigham Young University, go for it.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: The Restoration of Wives on the Side?

Post by _Dr. Shades »

moksha wrote:Seems like such concubinage could be viewed as a necessary intermediary step necessary in the fulfillment of all things, including avoiding constant confrontations with an unreasonable first wife.

"Unreasonable?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:In the early days of the LDS Church, where a designated man of righteousness might have a number of wives on the side that neither lived with him nor whom were able to acknowledge their marriage for fear that the righteous man's wife would go ballistic, did this constitute the restoration of concubinage before the fuller introduction to the Principle of Polygamy, enabling the Principle to gain its full bloom in Utah?

Seems like such concubinage could be viewed as a necessary intermediary step necessary in the fulfillment of all things, including avoiding constant confrontations with an unreasonable first wife.

Would God seek to preclude offspring given such tentative circumstances and wait for the promised land of Utah for true fecundity?

Anyway, I was just playing with this idea. If anyone wants to run with it and develop it into a Master's thesis for Brigham Young University, go for it.

I think that having secret "concubines" on the side has been a common practise for men of all religions since marriage was invented.

I'm sure Utah has it's share. Especially since the ban on polygamy was instituted.

A good question might be if official Church doctrine will recognize these relationships once the Lord reinstates polygamy on earth (any day now, I'm sure).
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Dr. Shades wrote:
moksha wrote:Seems like such concubinage could be viewed as a necessary intermediary step necessary in the fulfillment of all things, including avoiding constant confrontations with an unreasonable first wife.

"Unreasonable?"

Well, if you take D&C132 as 'gospel' (good news?) - esp v54 - how else would you describe a wife who didn't enter with joy into the requirements of multiple women joined to a single man? :cry:
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."