Excommunication as a means of controlling ideas

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: Excommunication as a means of controlling ideas

Post by _ludwigm »

ldsfaqs wrote:No, it simply demonstrates clearly that the idea being promoted in this thread as if the church is doing something "bad" is completely ridiculous.

Yes. Thechurch (I know this should be two words - I hear/read this always concatenated) can not do anything bad.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: Excommunication as a means of controlling ideas

Post by _bcspace »

As a wretched heathen, I'm confused with the concept of excommunication. Some people here talk about it as though it were a bad thing. From my point of view, it looks like a desirable pardon from a life sentence.

Am I wrong about this?

Not necessarily. After all, it's a ten percent raise and an extra day off per week.

But in all seriousness, the Church also looks at it as a good thing since it potentially puts one back on the path to God.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.