John Tanner

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Investigator
_Emeritus

John Tanner

Post by _Investigator »

I just saw a video about John Tanner, and I was just wondering how much of it is historically verifiable?

Was he really told that he would die if his leg wasn't amputated, and then miraculously healed by two Mormon elders?

The video said he lived to reach the Salt Lake valley, but didn't say what he died of.

Is there any record of his cause of death?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Investigator
_Emeritus

Re: John Tanner

Post by _Investigator »

I was just reading this online.

My great-great-great-great grandfather, John Tanner joined the LDS church in 1832 under miraculous circumstances. Two Elders, Jared and Simeon Carter, were in New York preaching the gospel. John Tanner was confined largely to bed due to a terrible and painful disease he had in his left leg. He did have a wheelchair that he used to move around though. When John heard these Mormon elders were going to be in the area, he wanted to attend the meeting to put them in their place and make sure they spoke no heresy or false doctrine. He never heckled them, instead inviting them afterward to his home. After a night of discussion with the brothers Cater, John wanted to be baptized. However, because he could not walk (and had not even been able to put his foot on the floor in six months), he didn’t think he could be baptized. The elders asked if he had faith to be healed; he said he believed the Lord could heal him. Elder Jared Carter commanded him to arise and be healed. John said, “I arose, threw down my crutches, and walked the floor back and forth – back and forth, praising God, and I felt light as a feather.” Shortly later John walked to Lake George and was baptized by Simeon Carter. With that miraculous beginning in the church, John never wavered.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

inquiringmind,

This is a true confirmation from God to John Tanner. So learn from it and don't seek feelings. Seek a pure knowledge and proof of God in your own life. I have had such an experience and knowing there are such beings makes it possible for you to act and believe the gospel with a certainty of stone.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Tobin, I am still confused as to when god spoke and told you that Mormonism is true.......

How do we know it wasn't Satan that cured John Tanner. He has priesthood and power.......
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin