How is this God's liability?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: How is this God's liability?

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:This would have been a better OP for this subject...

YARNELL, Ariz. — The fire that swept through Yarnell, Ariz., on Sunday claimed the life of Andrew Ashcraft of Prescott, Ariz., a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and one of 19 firefighters who died fighting the blaze.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... -fire.html

Why, given the divine guidance of the Holy Ghost, the power of the Priesthood and the safety of temple garments, do Mormon's die unexpectedly at about the same rate as humans without all those protective benefits?

(My sympathies to all the families of all the 19 brave firefighters who lost their lives in this tragedy whilst they were attempting to do their job of saving others and their property)

As usual (and as with Drifting) you would distort the purpose and meaning of things here.
Nowhere does the Church state, or does the LDS Doctrine teach, that the Priesthood and/or garments renders any person as invincible.
You should be ashamed, as usual, at drawing such inferences with what little knowledge you have of the circumstances.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

subgenius wrote:Nowhere does the Church state, or does the LDS Doctrine teach, that the Priesthood and/or garments renders any person as invincible.
You should be ashamed, as usual, at drawing such inferences with what little knowledge you have of the circumstances.

So...you're saying that Temple Garments and Priesthood Blessings offer no physical protection or medical benefits whatsoever?
And that the Holy Spirit guiding people away from danger is only as successful in doing so as random chance appears to be for non-mormons?

Subgenuis, answer the following:

1. The physical (not emotional or spiritual) benefits of wearing sacred underwear are ________________________________________________________________
2. The medical (not emotional or spiritual) benefits of Priesthood Blessings are _____________________________________________________________________
3. The Holy Ghost doesn't successfully guide Missionaries and Firefighters away from mortal danger because____________________________________________________
4. God has a positive physical impact on the lives of His children by doing the following ______________________________________________________________

We know that the prayer of faith, uttered alone or in our homes or places of worship, can be effective to heal the sick.

(Elder Oaks)
5. How, as Elder Oaks states, does prayer heal the sick? ______________________________________________
(Please support your answer with evidence that prayers are more effective at healing the sick than the rate of healing amongst sick people who don't believe in God)

It seems that Brigham Young doesn't agree with you....
President Brigham Young taught: “When I lay hands on the sick, I expect the healing power and influence of God to pass through me to the patient, and the disease to give way. … When we are prepared, when we are holy vessels before the Lord, a stream of power from the Almighty can pass through the tabernacle of the administrator to the system of the patient, and the sick are made whole.”

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... k?lang=eng
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:
subgenius wrote:Nowhere does the Church state, or does the LDS Doctrine teach, that the Priesthood and/or garments renders any person as invincible.

So...you're saying that Temple Garments and Priesthood Blessings offer no physical protection or medical benefits whatsoever?

no, i believe i used the word "invincible" and in a context suggesting that this same invincibility would be unconditional....both being distortions offered up by your post.

Bazooka wrote:And that the Holy Spirit guiding people away from danger is only as successful in doing so as random chance appears to be for non-mormons?

nope, and it does not appear that way to me.

Bazooka wrote:Subgenuis, answer the following:

am i supposed to print these out and provide my handwritten answers on the provided, yet excessive, lines? :wink:

Bazooka wrote:1. The physical (not emotional or spiritual) benefits of wearing sacred underwear are ________________________________________________________________

are not for me to say here - see also rule #5 under celestial forum, for i believe you are wanting to discuss specific temple information.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26

Bazooka wrote:2. The medical (not emotional or spiritual) benefits of Priesthood Blessings are _____________________________________________________________________

healing, comfort, and encouragement. The extent of which are according to God's will.

Bazooka wrote:3. The Holy Ghost doesn't successfully guide Missionaries and Firefighters away from mortal danger because____________________________________________________

of free will...also referred to as agency
nevertheless, this question assumes facts not in evidence...should be re-phrased to "away from a specific mortal danger because..."

Bazooka wrote:4. God has a positive physical impact on the lives of His children by doing the following ______________________________________________________________

existing

Bazooka wrote:
We know that the prayer of faith, uttered alone or in our homes or places of worship, can be effective to heal the sick.

(Elder Oaks)
5. How, as Elder Oaks states, does prayer heal the sick? ______________________________________________
(Please support your answer with evidence that prayers are more effective at healing the sick than the rate of healing amongst sick people who don't believe in God)

so, you want me to provide science to support a theological concept? me thinks you are confused about the apples and the oranges...
nevertheless, me also thinks you be lazy
"This article examines the relationship between prayer and healing and its relationship to holistic health. The apparent healing that results from prayer mystifies researchers. Numerous theories may be offered as to the mechanism by which this healing occurs. The belief of the praying person in the power of the prayer itself may stimulate healing, as the placebo effect suggests. The relaxation response and the sense of self-efficacy gained through the act of praying may enhance the immune system. Despite these explanations of the mechanisms through which prayer promotes healing, there sometimes exists a facet of prayer and healing that defies rational explanation and seems to suggest the existence of a higher power. A case is presented that explores assistance from a higher power as a potential explanation for the healing."
http://jhn.sagepub.com/content/15/3/318.short

Bazooka wrote:It seems that Brigham Young doesn't agree with you....
President Brigham Young taught: “When I lay hands on the sick, I expect the healing power and influence of God to pass through me to the patient, and the disease to give way. … When we are prepared, when we are holy vessels before the Lord, a stream of power from the Almighty can pass through the tabernacle of the administrator to the system of the patient, and the sick are made whole.”

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... k?lang=eng

i don't see the disagreement...i see your straw man...but no disagreement, perhaps you could clarify.......and, exactly how does this BY quote resolve your rather crass firefighter example above?

Perhaps this would go easier if you let me speak to Drifting?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Subby, you did use the word "invincible", but sadly for you, I did not.

Now, if your family member was seriously sick, what would you seek first:
A. Medical assistance
B. Priesthood assistance
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

subgenius wrote:I am interested in how Bazooka and Company will spin the following to somehow absolve mankind and rest the blame solely on God, or at least Church Presidency.

"But on Sunday, a man was arrested at an LDS Church meetinghouse after a fight broke out over saved seats in the chapel."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... rrest.html

OMG that is great. How come these things didn't happen when I went to church?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits