Droopy: why are multiple wives required for spirit babies?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Re: Droopy: why are multiple wives required for spirit babi

Post by _son of Ishmael »

LittleNipper wrote:
Bazooka wrote:
Who procreated to produce Jesus?

The Son of God emptied Himself and by the Holy Spirit moved into the womb of Mary, a young betrothed Jewish girl, so that He might come into this world as a human baby...

The Son of God emptied Himself??? Does that mean what I think it means?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Bump.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Well, I don't know why this is addressed specifically to me. Am I the board expert on plural marriage or spirit babies? Well, thanks for the thought, anyway.

Sethbag wrote:First off, are multiple wives in heaven required for God to make all the spirit babies?

The answer here must be no. Female and male are required to create "intelligences," or male and female spirit children with bodies composed of spiritual element, whatever that actually is.

If it's just to divide the burden of pregnancy amongst more wombs, then we need to ask the questions:

This assumes, rather facilely, in my view, that "pregnancy" and "birth" among celestial beings is comparable to its earthy analog in form and function. I have no idea on what that might be based, but certainly not on LDS doctrine.

1) Is the number of God's spirit offspring finite or infinite?

Infinite.

2) Is the number of God's wives finite or infinite?

Effectively infinite, one would have to say, based upon the fact that the number of potential eternal wives, as with eternal husbands, is infinite.

Because, though it may not seem logical at first blush, if God's spirit offspring are infinite, but his wives are finite, then marrying multiple wives does not actually divide the burden of pregnancy to lessen it for any particular wife.

What do you mean by "burden" in the context of being a god?

So, Droopster, do you believe in infinite God offspring? Infinite or finite wives? And why?

I'm really not sure where you're going with this, Sethbag, or why, from a philosophical standpoint, but you seem to be asking, in essence, whether I believe in the infinity of being and the infinite duration and qualitative perfection of the relationships (personal, family, husband/wife etc.) that describe, define, and mediate being, the answer to which, is yes.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

subgenius wrote:you are making assumptions that necessarily need clarification:

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing a process for which God produces spirit children?

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing, or implying, that there are spirit babies? and then presumably spirit toddlers?

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing that spirit "pregnancy" is burdensome?

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing that spirit "pregnancy" occurs in a womb?

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing that spirit "pregnancy" occurs at all? are you also presupposing that there is a gestation period?

and finally

by what reference or reasoning are you proposing that spirit 'offspring' are measured discretely instead of continuously?

Exactly. These are precisely the kinds of facile, vulgarly simplistic questions a scientistic secularist like Richard Dawkins would make, assuming, like some of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs, that eternity is simply a mirror image of mortality, so that in mortality one has sweaty armpits and in eternity one has celestial sweaty armpits, celestial, yes, but still in some sense sweaty.

Seth is the kind of atheist critic who would ask whether woman in the celestial kingdom are given equal pay for equal work, or talk about changing diapers on spirit babies.

Thin gruel.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Droopy,

If the number of God's children is infinite:

- how many left with Satan after the war in heaven?
Droopy "How should I know?"
36 And it came to pass that Adam, being tempted of the devil—for, behold, the devil was before Adam, for he rebelled against me, saying, Give me thine honor, which is my power; and also a third part of the hosts of heaven turned he away from me because of their agency;

37 And they were thrust down, and thus came the devil and his angels;

How can there be a third of an infinite number?
---------------------------

- how is it possible for an infinite number to come to earth to gain a body?
Droopy "other earths etc"
So you appear to be saying that an infinite number of spirits were divided up into a finite number that were designated against this earth, and that this process of taking finite numbers of spirits and allocating them against a specific earth is happening an infinite number of times. Is that what you are saying?
---------------------------

- how is it possible for temple work for the dead to be effective?
Droopy "What?"
If the number of spirits is infinite, then there must exist an infinite number of spirits coming to 'an earth' where they reject or don't hear the Gospel. This is where temple work on their behalf. How can Temple work for the dead ever be completed for an infinite number of earthly non Mormons?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Bazooka wrote:Droopy,

How should I know?

The Father has an infinite number of children, but not all are designated to come to this earth. Their are countless other earths, and will be. Indeed, they are as infinite as his children.

In what sense?

- Thomas Sowell
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Droopy wrote:
Bazooka wrote:Droopy,

How should I know?

The Father has an infinite number of children, but not all are designated to come to this earth. Their are countless other earths, and will be. Indeed, they are as infinite as his children.

In what sense?

See my above post which I have edited for clarification.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)