Is God a Mormon?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Re: Is God a Mormon?

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

Nevermind.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Quasimodo wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
David was writing of the Great three in one ---- the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God placed in David's heart what to write. David didn't make it up himself.

The doctrine of the trinity is a much later concept. It doesn't appear until the New Testament. David had never heard of the Trinity.

You try to present yourself as an expert in all things Christian, but you are just trying to bolster your own ego. You are making it up as you go along. The Trinity must be a little annoyed at your hubris.

There must be some board somewhere that would be more acceptable of your fuzzy religious thinking. Here, you are at the bottom tier.

I've always thought of the Trinity as a god designed by a committee, in the same way that a giraffe is a horse designed by a committee.

Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately. I've worked with the Historian's office. Their mandate is to preserve history and make it available to scholars and others, not to write about it. The clerks who work in the department are more clueless on some basic issues of history than I am, and that's not saying much.
--Robert D. Crockett
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Quasimodo wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
David was writing of the Great three in one ---- the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God placed in David's heart what to write. David didn't make it up himself.

The doctrine of the trinity is a much later concept. It doesn't appear until the New Testament. David had never heard of the Trinity.

Nipper, thanks for making my point.

Now what?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

What the prophets wrote, they didn't full comprehend.
The Trinity is fully revealed in Christ. The Old Testament is now more fully understood with the advent of the Messiah.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

LittleNipper wrote:What the prophets wrote, they didn't full comprehend.

But you do, right?

The Trinity is fully revealed in Christ. The Old Testament is now more fully understood with the advent of the Messiah.

My Magic 8 Ball makes more sense than you do.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

How do you know this, LittleNipper? Maybe you know the thoughts of the prophets? I think you may be just guessing. I'm quite sure that you don't know if the prophets had a full understanding of their prophecies or not. It's foolish for you to attribute a lack of understanding on the part of the prophets to suit your own awkward beliefs.

If you were to start those kind of statements with "well, maybe" or "I think", they might not sound so ridiculous.

You should come to grips with the reality that you are not a prophet, nor do you have any knowledge that the rest of us do not.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Quasimodo wrote:

How do you know this, LittleNipper? Maybe you know the thoughts of the prophets? I think you may be just guessing. I'm quite sure that you don't know if the prophets had a full understanding of their prophecies or not. It's foolish for you to attribute a lack of understanding on the part of the prophets to suit your own awkward beliefs.

If you were to start those kind of statements with "well, maybe" or "I think", they might not sound so ridiculous.

You should come to grips with the reality that you are not a prophet, nor do you have any knowledge that the rest of us do not.

I accept God's word as inerrant. Do you?
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

LittleNipper wrote:I accept God's word as inerrant.

Up to now You (and all of us)
- used to hear many god's words only verbally repeated by self-appointed prophets
- used to read many god's words only written by people we don't know, by people may have not existed, by fraudsters etc.

Did You hear words of any god? No.
As I didn't.
Here is only one such human being, who has met with something god-like thing, during f### his girlfriend.

LittleNipper wrote:Do you?
No.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei