When will Christians acknowledge Mormons are Christian too?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: When will Christians acknowledge Mormons are Christian t

Post by _Brackite »

in my opinion, The LDS Newsroom Article does make a pretty ood argument in pointing out why Warren Jeffs Is Not a Mormon.
From That Article:

Warren Jeffs Is Not a Mormon
Warren Jeffs is not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and never has been.

Link: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/p ... hurch-says

The Patriarch of the reality television show Sister Wives has been a member of the LDS Church, and he served a mission for the LDS Church. I would considered him a Mormon but not Warren Jeffs.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Albion wrote:Well, I could spend all day adding to the list. There are plenty more but I doubt more would change your mind so the debate is pointless.

the issue is that you hardly reviewed your own citations:
for example:
"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly nicknamed "Mormons," worship Jesus Christ, but some vocal critics claim that we don't believe in Him at all or that we don't count as "Christians." Here I respond to some of their arguments..."
this is not a "crying out" but merely a discourse, a response, a rebuttal even.

None of the links you provided are tantamount to a Mormon crying out "I am Christian too"....if you pay attention they mostly affirm my assertion about why Mormons stake a claim to Christianity....not cry out for inclusion, but rather make the argument for exclusion.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

subgenius wrote:
Albion wrote:Well, I could spend all day adding to the list. There are plenty more but I doubt more would change your mind so the debate is pointless.

the issue is that you hardly reviewed your own citations:
for example:
"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly nicknamed "Mormons," worship Jesus Christ, but some vocal critics claim that we don't believe in Him at all or that we don't count as "Christians." Here I respond to some of their arguments..."
this is not a "crying out" but merely a discourse, a response, a rebuttal even.

None of the links you provided are tantamount to a Mormon crying out "I am Christian too"....if you pay attention they mostly affirm my assertion about why Mormons stake a claim to Christianity....not cry out for inclusion, but rather make the argument for exclusion.

Christianity is an apostate religious following as far as Mormons are concerned - so how come Mormons want to be classed as part of their apostate number?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Subby, here's what I don't get about Mormons wanting to be classed as part of mainstream Christianity.

This is what Jesus Christ articulated to Joseph Smith in respect of the rest of Christianity:
18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng

This is reinforced by the current lds.org description of "Apostasy":
When individuals or groups of people turn away from the principles of the gospel, they are in a state of apostasy. One example is the Great Apostasy, which occurred after the Savior established His Church. After the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles, men corrupted the principles of the gospel and made unauthorized changes in Church organization and priesthood ordinances. Because of this widespread apostasy, the Lord withdrew the authority of the priesthood from the earth. This apostasy lasted until Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 and initiated the restoration of the fulness of the gospel.

http://www.lds.org/topics/apostasy?lang=eng

And further reinforced at this latest gathering of Conference by one of the First Presidency:
This is the true Church of Jesus Christ. Only in the priesthood keys held by President Thomas S. Monson is the power for us to be sealed in families to live forever with our Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... e?lang=eng

Conference 1979:
We are a peculiar people; we are a congregation of true believers who are unique and different from all others; we are the Saints of the Most High who are assembling together in many nations to build up Zion and to prepare a people for the second coming of the Son of Man.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1 ... m?lang=eng

And from unique LDS scripture:
30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testam ... ang=eng#29

So against this historical and doctrinal backdrop of proclaiming, since the Church was restored, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; is not part of something else; is the stand alone one true Church; the only religion with the fulness of the Gospel; the only Church with the authority from God; the only religion that enables a person to fulfil the plan of salvation.
Why now the desire to be classed as a part of that great and abominable Church, the whore of all the earth?
Why the shift from trying to class the Church as separate and unique, to a drive to be seen as just a part of mainstream Christianity?

What is driving this march toward huddling up with those denominations you believe do not teach the truth and whose adherents you would seek to convert to your brand of Mormonism?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Bhodi
_Emeritus

Post by _Bhodi »

Bazooka wrote:Christianity is an apostate religious following as far as Mormons are concerned - so how come Mormons want to be classed as part of their apostate number?

Not true, Christianity is a larger umbrella than you have applied here. What is so interesting is how others attempt to define Christianity to exclude, as opposed to recognize the historical situation.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Bhodi wrote:
Bazooka wrote:Christianity is an apostate religious following as far as Mormons are concerned - so how come Mormons want to be classed as part of their apostate number?

Not true, Christianity is a larger umbrella than you have applied here. What is so interesting is how others attempt to define Christianity to exclude, as opposed to recognize the historical situation.

Bhodi, please explain which other religious movements within the umbrella of Christianity don't class as being in apostasy based on how the LDS Church defines "Apostasy"?

When individuals or groups of people turn away from the principles of the gospel, they are in a state of apostasy. One example is the Great Apostasy, which occurred after the Savior established His Church. After the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles, men corrupted the principles of the gospel and made unauthorized changes in Church organization and priesthood ordinances. Because of this widespread apostasy, the Lord withdrew the authority of the priesthood from the earth. This apostasy lasted until Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 and initiated the restoration of the fulness of the gospel.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:...(snip)...What is driving this march toward huddling up with those denominations you believe do not teach the truth and whose adherents you would seek to convert to your brand of Mormonism?

Thanks for the redundancy, again...forgive that i have snipped it here for the sake of brevity.

what is driving?
It appears that your question has within it the answer, and is, of course, a restating of my earlier response to the same:
I used the term missionary effort...and you write "seek to convert"
viewtopic.php?p=701976#p701976
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Mktavish
_Emeritus

Post by _Mktavish »