It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do missionaries die on their mission?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 am 
God

It was Thomas S Monson who said you are entitled to the Lords protection whilst on His errand.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23954442
So why does this type of thing happen?

Edited to provide a different link.

"And, to be perfectly frank, there have been times when members or leaders in the Church have simply made mistakes. There may have been things said or done that were not in harmony with our values, principles, or doctrine."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf - Conference October 2013

Last edited by Bazooka on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Why do missionaries die on their mission?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 pm 
tired, less active investigator

The link above is NSFW
--- it begins a loud video without any demand
--- stopping the video caused my laptop frost (may be the fault of my opsys, but with low likelihood)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:56 am 
God

From Fox news:

Quote:
WOODLAND, Oklahoma — A sister missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Oklahoma was killed on Friday when she was struck from behind by a truck while riding a bicycle.
Scott Trotter, senior public affairs manager for the LDS church, said in an email that Sister Alesa Renee Smith was 22 years old and from Benton, Arkansas. She was serving in the Oklahoma City Mission. Smith was riding single file on the side of the road with her companion in Woodland, Oklahoma when the accident happened.
Smith was pronounced dead at the scene. Her companion was uninjured.
Trotter said: “The entire church grieves at her passing, and we pray for her family and friends at this difficult time.”

"And, to be perfectly frank, there have been times when members or leaders in the Church have simply made mistakes. There may have been things said or done that were not in harmony with our values, principles, or doctrine."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm 
God

For the same reasons anyone else dies. They have no more or less inspiration and/or protection than anyone else.

“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
God

Bazooka wrote:
It was Thimas S Monson who said you are entitled to the Lords protection whilst on His errand.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23954442
So why does this type of thing happen?

Edited to provide a different link.

As this particular topic had been discussed ad nauseaum, could you be more specific?
Particularly with details of being on "His errand" and what is considered as "Lord's protection"....and how this thread is not a feeble attempt at trying to fit a spiritual issue into a temporal concern?
...or is this just a lead into why does God let babies die?

(the obvious answer to why things like this happen is simply to test and prove your faith....not mine....but yours.......see also book of Job).

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard_Feynman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm 
God

Subgenius, where did you serve your mission?

I am against feminism for the very fact that I do not want to exercise unrighteous dominion over women.
--Water Dog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
Particularly with details of being on "His errand" and what is considered as "Lord's protection"....

I don't know, Thomas S Monson wasn't specific on the clauses when he made the claim.
Perhaps you can ask him to clarify...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 pm 
God

I've always wondered why missionaries (usually in their early twenties) were called 'Elders'. It's known that elders (usually 70 years old and above) have a higher mortality rate than younger people.

Maybe they should be called 'Youngers'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
I've always wondered why missionaries (usually in their early twenties) were called 'Elders'. It's known that elders (usually 70 years old and above) have a higher mortality rate than younger people.

On my mission we had a missionary whose last name was Elder so he was Elder Elder. I wonder if he had a sister who served a mission? Now that would have been confusing. Sister Elder!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:

On my mission we had a missionary whose last name was Elder so he was Elder Elder. I wonder if he had a sister who served a mission? Now that would have been confusing. Sister Elder!

:lol:
Reminds me of the character in "Catch 22". His last name was Majors. When he was born, his father (in a moment of drunken humor) named him Major. After joining the Army Air Corp, Major Majors was promoted to Major (due to a clerical error because of his name). He was Major Major Majors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
God

Bazooka wrote:
subgenius wrote:
Particularly with details of being on "His errand" and what is considered as "Lord's protection"....

I don't know, Thomas S Monson wasn't specific on the clauses when he made the claim.
Perhaps you can ask him to clarify...

Hmmm...i sense Drifting

But why would i need to consult Monson? By the OP you seem to be confused by the while situation. Perhaps you should post the source of Monson's claim as a beginning of your understanding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
:lol:
Reminds me of the character in "Catch 22". His last name was Majors. When he was born, his father (in a moment of drunken humor) named him Major. After joining the Army Air Corp, Major Majors was promoted to Major (due to a clerical error because of his name). He was Major Major Majors.

i thought Heller wrote that it was because of an IBM computer with a sense of humor that he was promoted to Major.

one thing i remember for sure, the guy's middle name was Major too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
But why would i need to consult Monson? By the OP you seem to be confused by the while situation. Perhaps you should post the source of Monson's claim as a beginning of your understanding.

Quote:
As bearers of the priesthood, we have been placed on earth in troubled times. We live in a complex world with currents of conflict everywhere to be found. Political machinations ruin the stability of nations, despots grasp for power, and segments of society seem forever downtrodden, deprived of opportunity, and left with a feeling of failure.

We who have been ordained to the priesthood of God can make a difference. When we qualify for the help of the Lord, we can build boys, we can mend men, we can accomplish miracles in His holy service. Our opportunities are without limit.

Ours is the task to be fitting examples. We are strengthened by the truth that the greatest force in the world today is the power of God as it works through man. If we are on the Lord’s errand, brethren, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Never forget that truth. That divine help, of course, is predicated upon our worthiness. Each must ask: Are my hands clean? Is my heart pure? Am I a worthy servant of the Lord?

( Source: General Conference, April 2008 )

One assumes that although he was addressing Priesthood holding men, the Lord's help would be equally available to women serving a mission. Don't you think?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
God

Bazooka wrote:
It was Thimas S Monson who said you are entitled to the Lords protection whilst on His errand.

It might help if we think of the death of a missionary as more like a transfer to the Spirit Prison Mission. :twisted:

I am against feminism for the very fact that I do not want to exercise unrighteous dominion over women.
--Water Dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm 
God

Bazooka wrote:
Quote:
That divine help, of course, is predicated upon our worthiness. Each must ask: Are my hands clean? Is my heart pure? Am I a worthy servant of the Lord?

One assumes that although he was addressing Priesthood holding men, the Lord's help would be equally available to women serving a mission. Don't you think?

What i think is that - as was discussed before when you posted about the elder hit by a car in Brazil -you avoid, disregard, and deny three above snip from your reference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm 
God

Subgenius, where did you serve your mission?

--Water Dog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Quote:
That divine help, of course, is predicated upon our worthiness. Each must ask: Are my hands clean? Is my heart pure? Am I a worthy servant of the Lord?

What i think is that - as was discussed before when you posted about the elder hit by a car in Brazil -you avoid, disregard, and deny three above snip from your reference.

Are you suggesting that the Lord's help was withdrawn from this female missionary for some lack of worthiness reason, hence why she died and her companion didn't?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the Lord's help was withdrawn from this female missionary for some lack of worthiness reason, hence why she died and her companion didn't?

Bumping so that subgenius can jump into the hole he dug...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 am 
God

Bazooka wrote:

actually i was suggesting that the "reason" she died i unknown to you, likely forever unknown.
Obviously, by the TSM quote you so often reference...this protection is conditional. If we wanted to lower our intellect to your level of reasoning and assumption, then yes, it would appropriate to validate TSM's statement by affirming that she must have died to a worthiness issue or due to her not being on the Lord's errand at that moment.
Regardless, it is a fallacy to assume that either one of us know the reason for her death, just as it is a fallacy to assume that her death was not, in fact, a protection - perhaps she was removed from this life to spare a suffering yet to be realized, thus her death protected her - especially if your emphasis is not temporal - an emphasis that most of your arguments rely on.......though you have changed your screen-name your cynicism endures....por que?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Bazooka wrote:

actually i was suggesting that the "reason" she died i unknown to you, likely forever unknown.
Obviously, by the TSM quote you so often reference...this protection is conditional. If we wanted to lower our intellect to your level of reasoning and assumption, then yes, it would appropriate to validate TSM's statement by affirming that she must have died to a worthiness issue or due to her not being on the Lord's errand at that moment.
Regardless, it is a fallacy to assume that either one of us know the reason for her death, just as it is a fallacy to assume that her death was not, in fact, a protection - perhaps she was removed from this life to spare a suffering yet to be realized, thus her death protected her - especially if your emphasis is not temporal - an emphasis that most of your arguments rely on.......though you have changed your screen-name your cynicism endures....por que?

Interesting that you consider being run over by a truck akin to receiving the Lord's protection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am 
God

Fence Sitter wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:

A family member of mine served in an area that had something like 10 Mormons in a branch. None of the ten people had any musical talent/abilities, so they used a boom box with CDs for the music in sacrament meeting. They named the boom box, "Sister Sony".