It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:45 pm 
Regional Representative

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:10 pm
Posts: 641
How could anyone not be willing to rely on what is described here to determine on what to base his or her entire life?

http://www.mormonchannel.org/power-of-t ... 5732856001


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:08 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am
Posts: 4463
Location: Your mother's purse
In reality, there is not anyone who is unwilling to do so.

_________________
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
No one can tell you how to differentiate between the spirit and a self generated sensation.
On that basis it's an extremely unreliable method of either determining truth or making decisions.

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:41 pm 
CTR A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 am
Posts: 123
Currently, I believe that feeling the spirit is feeling God/love, nothing more, nothing less.
When we add to this, by interpreting it to mean, "I need to go 3 blocks, knock on the door and give $500 and big smackeroo" etc., - I think we miss the mark.

Still, life progresses by trial and error - so we'll learn more the more we try, even if we miss the mark.
And I think feeling the spirit greatly depends on gratitude, as well as striving/progress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Amore wrote:
Currently, I believe that feeling the spirit is feeling God/love, nothing more, nothing less.
When we add to this, by interpreting it to mean, "I need to go 3 blocks, knock on the door and give $500 and big smackeroo" etc., - I think we miss the mark.

Still, life progresses by trial and error - so we'll learn more the more we try, even if we miss the mark.
And I think feeling the spirit greatly depends on gratitude, as well as striving/progress.


How can you differentiate between a feeling that is God and a feeling that is self generated?

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 pm
Posts: 1812
Location: Victoria’s Secret Corporate Headquarters
There's a term for this. I think it's called "faith bait".

Image

_________________
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am
Posts: 4463
Location: Your mother's purse
Bazooka wrote:
No one can tell you how to differentiate between the spirit and a self generated sensation.
On that basis it's an extremely unreliable method of either determining truth or making decisions.

Common sense and modern science disagree with you.

_________________
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:59 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 pm
Posts: 1812
Location: Victoria’s Secret Corporate Headquarters
subgenius wrote:
Bazooka wrote:
No one can tell you how to differentiate between the spirit and a self generated sensation.
On that basis it's an extremely unreliable method of either determining truth or making decisions.

Common sense and modern science disagree with you.

What's the modern scientific definition of "the spirit"?

_________________
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:38 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Also, what's the common sense definition of "the spirit"?

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am
Posts: 4463
Location: Your mother's purse
I believe the modern science term is "instinct" or "intuition".
I would recommend you read Thinking, Fast and Slow".
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow
(A book recommended to me by my cousin's husband, an enthusiastic baptist).

Why we're right to trust our gut instincts: Scientists discover first decision IS the right one
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-one.html

scientists conclude that some gut feelings are not just guesswork after all. Rather, we access memories we aren't even aware we have.
http://m.livescience.com/3289-study-sug ... -work.html

Can your gut go silent? The answer is yes—when we are cut off from what we feel or when our feelings and thoughts have been hijacked...
http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/tech- ... g-your-gut

Gut Instinct’s Surprising Role in Math
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/scien ... c=rss&_r=0

http://utahvalley360.com/2014/10/14/mor ... nect-dots/


Image

_________________
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Subby,

First, it is wrong to post "selfies" on this forum.
Second, Dude, seriously, get some exercise.

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am 
tired, less active investigator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 am
Posts: 7308
Location: Hungary
Bazooka wrote:
Subby,

First, it is wrong to post "selfies" on this forum.
Especially this style.
And my pictures were banned because of Rubens' Three Graces...

_________________
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Bazooka wrote:
Amore wrote:
Currently, I believe that feeling the spirit is feeling God/love, nothing more, nothing less.
When we add to this, by interpreting it to mean, "I need to go 3 blocks, knock on the door and give $500 and big smackeroo" etc., - I think we miss the mark.

Still, life progresses by trial and error - so we'll learn more the more we try, even if we miss the mark.
And I think feeling the spirit greatly depends on gratitude, as well as striving/progress.


How can you differentiate between a feeling that is God and a feeling that is self generated?


Did Amore run away?

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 am 
CTR A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 am
Posts: 123
Bazooka wrote:
Amore wrote:
Currently, I believe that feeling the spirit is feeling God/love, nothing more, nothing less.
When we add to this, by interpreting it to mean, "I need to go 3 blocks, knock on the door and give $500 and big smackeroo" etc., - I think we miss the mark.

Still, life progresses by trial and error - so we'll learn more the more we try, even if we miss the mark.
And I think feeling the spirit greatly depends on gratitude, as well as striving/progress.


How can you differentiate between a feeling that is God and a feeling that is self generated?

Sorry for the delay in response, Bazooka. I think Subgenius gave a good explanation.
Your question requires clarification, some of which I can expand on and some which I can't yet.

God is always experienced within, as everything we experience, right?
"The kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you." - Luke 17:21
And the only way God could be omnipresent and omniscient, is to be able to be within all - "Split wood, I am there. Lift up a rock, you will find me there." (-Gospel of Thomas)
Spiritually, I think there is a direct connection with all - but with the "veil" (subjective/illusional awareness) it's not so clear.
As human beings, this is our state - yet how our experience of God is after we depart our bodies, is something I'm unsure of, but there are little clues in NDEs (Near Death Experiences) and personal spiritual experiences.
All that we experience, is filtered through us - through our minds and bodies.
How we filter it affects the type of sensations we have.

Consider that we only use a tiny percentage of our brain - we have so much potential!
Consider how much of what influences us is subconscious - and consider the power of belief - whether logical or not (placebo effect).
Consider that the brain has specific areas for many experiences (language, motor skills, etc.) - but there is no specific area where emotions are concentrated - but they are experienced throughout the body, as if every cell of our bodies were e-motionally responsive.

Essentially, all we experience is self-generated, but there are many different aspects or approaches to our creativity. There's a higher self (spirit/subconscious) - and lower self (carnal/ego). Each of us have unique degrees of emotional intelligence/intrapersonal intelligence.
So, I think the way to know if something is coming from our higher, rather than lower selves, is to use common sense to see if it make sense morally and then experiment by trial and error - active faith. Little by little, we get to know ourselves more (psych-ology/study of the soul) and learn when intuitive/spiritual experiences are interpreted by our fears or carnal desires - of if there's higher wisdom within.

This is my understanding now - and I hope to learn more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:26 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Amore wrote:
So, I think the way to know if something is coming from our higher, rather than lower selves, is to use common sense to see if it make sense morally and then experiment by trial and error - active faith.


But that trial and error method is susceptible to the lack of clarity between being able to identify which is which and the inescapable bias with how we perceive any results.

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:04 pm 
CTR A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 am
Posts: 123
Bazooka wrote:
Amore wrote:
So, I think the way to know if something is coming from our higher, rather than lower selves, is to use common sense to see if it make sense morally and then experiment by trial and error - active faith.


But that trial and error method is susceptible to the lack of clarity between being able to identify which is which and the inescapable bias with how we perceive any results.

True! That's why life is lived based on trial & error. Live and learn.

"Noone can escape the prejudices of being human." - Carl Jung.
Sill, the more educated we are not just logically but also emotionally, socially, existentially, etc., - the more perspectives we can understand - the less bias, and the more success by utilizing intellect in harmony with intuition/spirit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
You're shifting ground now, equating intuition and spirit.
In what material way can one differentiate between ones intuition based on experience and actions based on the spirits promotings?

Please don't say trial and error because that would just relegate your claim of spiritual prompting to the level of nothing more than drawing the target where the arrow has landed.

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am
Posts: 4463
Location: Your mother's purse
Bazooka wrote:
You're shifting ground now, equating intuition and spirit.
In what material way can one differentiate between ones intuition based on experience and actions based on the spirits promotings?

Please don't say trial and error because that would just relegate your claim of spiritual prompting to the level of nothing more than drawing the target where the arrow has landed.

"material way"?
There is no "material" way on either end, whether you believe intuition and spirit to be mutually exclusive or not.
This is the fundamental flaw in your argument and your reasoning on this matter.
While this notion has been floated across your bow before, you will no doubt deflect it - but cannot refute it - that the truth of some things can be self-evident.
However, more to the point here is the obvious sentiment in 1 Cor 2:11-14
http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/2-14.htm

Your inability to either understand or explain something in "material" terms does not negate that something's existence.

_________________
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Betwixt & Between
Okay, change my word 'material' for 'clearly identifiable'

_________________
"I have faith in God. I never said I knew how to prove there was a God. Then I said I asked God a question. How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 pm 
CTR A
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:21 am
Posts: 130
Location: The 25th floor
I live by this wise statement:

Feelings of transcendence are simply that—feelings—and, as such, have no capacity to reveal truths about a world external to the people who have them.

― Russell Blackford

_________________
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence - Hitch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Now I get it...How to feel the Spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
CTR A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 am
Posts: 123
GrandMoffTarkin wrote:
I live by this wise statement:

Feelings of transcendence are simply that—feelings—and, as such, have no capacity to reveal truths about a world external to the people who have them.

― Russell Blackford

"This is the greatest paradox: emotions cannot be trusted; but it is they that tell us the greatest truths." -Don Herold


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group