It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sherem?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am 
God

What is fascinating about Tikal is that its story continues to change. Once thought to be the religious site and astronomical observatory of a peaceful tribe, archaeologists in the 1980s revealed that the Maya were actually a fierce and frequently warring people. In 2013, archaeologists discovered a significant frieze near Tikal that revealed the depth of the political struggle between Tikal and neighboring rulers of Kaanul, or the Snake Kingdom.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/histor ... ets_o.aspx

So, how do we resolve the presence and actions of Sherem in the Book of Mormon?

Post subject: Re: Sherem?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 am 
Bishop

Not sure I'm following you here, subgenius. This temple was build around 700 AD, while Sherem was around 545 BC, about 1245 years difference. Plus, Guatemala is in Central America, whereas Nephi and Jacob were somewhere around Palmyra, New York, USA. Finally, there's evidence of the Tikal and Kaanul, but not of the Nephites or Lamanites.

Anyway, I couldn't make a connection between Sherem and this story of the Tikal.

The three things that caught my eye yesterday were pants that did not make it down to the ankle (some hemmed off 4-8 inches above the ankle, some pants rolled up that far); faces of young men not clean-shaven; and shorts on campus (mostly BYU-I shorts–just remember to wear warm-ups)-Kim B. Clark, President BYU-I

Post subject: Re: Sherem?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
So, how do we resolve the presence and actions of Sherem in the Book of Mormon?

Not sure.

How do we resolve that...
Quote:
Discoveries of Maya occupation at Cuello, Belize have been carbon dated to around 2600 BCE.[2][3] The people built monumental structures. The Maya calendar, which is based on the so-called Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, begins on a date equivalent to 11 August 3114 BC.

...against the timeline and narrative of the Book of Mormon (not to mention the entire Church chronology of Adam and the flood)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization