Peer Review

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_jayneedoe
_Emeritus

Post by _jayneedoe »

Does anyone know, offhand, who would peer review Jan Shipps' articles that dealt with Mormon issues?

Jaynee
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

liz3564 wrote:
One more question... one that Dr. Peterson and I are disagreeing on: Is the excuse "No one can peer review LDS articles except for LDS scholars because they are the only ones who are knowledgeable in the field" a good one?

This sounds odd to me as well. No, I don't think that Dr. Peterson has a good argument here for the very reason you are stating:

It seems to me that those contributing to FARMS make some claims by default that outside scholars could certainly critically examine (i.e. Native American descent, the mere existence of Nephites and Lamanites, Book of Mormon archaeology, etc.).

How did Dr. Peterson respond when you presented this argument?

Scholarly review should be based on scholarly knowledge of the subject matter. If I had my PhD in Religious Studes and had published extensive research material on Catholicism, would my reviews be disallowed because I was Mormon? This doesn't make sense.

He didn't respond in any kind of useful way; instead, he resorted to ad hominem attack. Let's fact it: our deconstruction of the peer review process at FARMS Review has been one of the leading causes of his most recent pledge to "abandon" the MBs. This has been a devastating coup against him, it seems.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Mister Scratch wrote:Let's fact it: our deconstruction of the peer review process at FARMS Review has been one of the leading causes of his most recent pledge to "abandon" the MBs. This has been a devastating coup against him, it seems.

I think you are right -- the timing of his "departure" is just too coincidental.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)