It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jonah and the Whale
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:41 am 
God

Buffalo wrote:
It's amazing to me. I feel like you'd have to live in an alternate reality to accept something like that as even possibly literally true.

If you go back 500 years and tell the people that the emptiness of space contains huge amounts of energy and particles in pairs come into existence and then combine back into nothingness they would consider you crazy. The people of that day would not be ready for such information. There has to be a groundwork laid for the understanding to take place. The same is true of spiritual understanding and the acceptance of the power of God. There are some among us that take a path of understanding that allows them to transcend the physical plane and experience a different kind of communication. For those people the groundwork has been done and they start to see with different eyes and hear with different ears. The whole of reality shifts because of the added dimension that includes the power of God. They no longer have a barrier to understanding the complete picture. What is possible extends way past the self imposed limits of man. So yes I can see God performing exactly the actions described in Jonah. If for nothing else it is a tool to separate the sheep from the goats. Remember what scripture says. The things of God are foolishness to the wise of this earth. I have cast off this world and now walk with an open mind. You may feel comfort in the strong world you have built for yourself. I wish you well on your journey.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 am 
God

Franktalk,

Jonah was NOT swallowed up by a whale. God never did such thing. It's a story produced by religious nuts who served Jehovah. You continue to believe in a story because your mind refuses to let go. You are a prisoner of Jehovah.

And Jesus is NOT coming back. Not today, not 10,000 years from now. And, the Book of Revelations is a total book of lies.

Jesus can't save you from your sins. You save yourself.

Paul O
have a nice day :smile:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:57 am 
God

Buffalo wrote:
And, apparently, Subgenius!

I didn't believe in the swallowed by a whale story when I was five. I was also able to figure out that Pinocchio was a work of fiction.

:wink:

The joy of being an architect is that it, more often than not, leads to knowledge about other things....
http://www.monstrum.dk/#/projekter/blaa ... rg-sverige

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 am 
God

Franktalk wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
It's amazing to me. I feel like you'd have to live in an alternate reality to accept something like that as even possibly literally true.

If you go back 500 years and tell the people that the emptiness of space contains huge amounts of energy and particles in pairs come into existence and then combine back into nothingness they would consider you crazy. The people of that day would not be ready for such information. There has to be a groundwork laid for the understanding to take place. The same is true of spiritual understanding and the acceptance of the power of God. There are some among us that take a path of understanding that allows them to transcend the physical plane and experience a different kind of communication. For those people the groundwork has been done and they start to see with different eyes and hear with different ears. The whole of reality shifts because of the added dimension that includes the power of God. They no longer have a barrier to understanding the complete picture. What is possible extends way past the self imposed limits of man. So yes I can see God performing exactly the actions described in Jonah. If for nothing else it is a tool to separate the sheep from the goats. Remember what scripture says. The things of God are foolishness to the wise of this earth. I have cast off this world and now walk with an open mind. You may feel comfort in the strong world you have built for yourself. I wish you well on your journey.

Surviving being swallowed by a whale is even more unbelievable now than it was 1000 years ago.

Why is it that God considers gullible people "sheep," and critical thinkers "goats"?

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
And, apparently, Subgenius!

I didn't believe in the swallowed by a whale story when I was five. I was also able to figure out that Pinocchio was a work of fiction.

:wink:

The joy of being an architect is that it, more often than not, leads to knowledge about other things....
http://www.monstrum.dk/#/projekter/blaa ... rg-sverige

You're at least on board with me that Pinocchio was fictional, right?

Right?

There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 am 
God

Shulem wrote:
Franktalk,

Jonah was NOT swallowed up by a whale. God never did such thing. It's a story produced by religious nuts who served Jehovah. You continue to believe in a story because your mind refuses to let go. You are a prisoner of Jehovah.

And Jesus is NOT coming back. Not today, not 10,000 years from now. And, the Book of Revelations is a total book of lies.

Jesus can't save you from your sins. You save yourself.

Paul O
have a nice day :smile:

Jesus was supposed to come back in the first century AD. The fact that he hasn't 2000 years later should be a big clue that he's not coming back. Maybe it's just me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:26 am 
God

Buffalo wrote:
Jesus was supposed to come back in the first century AD. The fact that he hasn't 2000 years later should be a big clue that he's not coming back. Maybe it's just me.

He is not just tardy or late -- he is utterly absent. His apostles made some huge claims and represented Jesus' gospel as if it was about to sweep the world and the king of kings was about to come back. We really don't even know for sure what the man actually said. His apostles were busy writing for him.

Still no Jesus. May he rest in peace.

Paul O

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:46 pm 
God

Jehovah is on record for expressing cruelty to his children -- those who not only go against what he demands but even those who don't do what he says. What kind of loving God would lock his poor child up in the belly of a whale for 3 days? Isn't that horrific? It's got to be the most horrible form of time-out given to a disobedient child of God as shown in the scriptures. Should we as human parents treat our own children like this? After all, God is setting the example on how to properly punish his children -- hence, shall we do likewise? No! Do not act as God does. Jehovah is a cruel tyrant and has no heart. He is bent on torturing and murdering humans and more especially those who bad mouth him. How would you like it if Jehovah took one of your children and locked him up in the belly of a fish for 3 days just because he refused to go preach hellfire and damnation? Would you approve? Would you put your own child in the belly of a fish?

Paul O

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:24 pm 
God

Check this out; "Have any Real Life Jonas Been Swallowed by Whales and Lived." Also, check out the part about sperm whales. My guess is that you anti's will not believe that either!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:37 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:
Check this out; "Have any Real Life Jonas Been Swallowed by Whales and Lived." Also, check out the part about sperm whales. My guess is that you anti's will not believe that either!

Link? My search turned up no hits.

n/m found it

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... -and-lived

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

Last edited by just me on Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
God

Angry God sends forth his prophet! Fear God and give glory to him. Fall down on your hands and knees ye people and fear the anger of the Lord! Otherwise, death and destruction will befall you if you don't do what he says. And for those who fight against the Lord, they shall suffer in hellfire and burn in a hot lake of fire! Let all the obedient saints rejoice in this knowledge.

Paul O

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm 
God

just me wrote:
gdemetz wrote:

Link? My search turned up no hits.

n/m found it

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... -and-lived

Here's the conclusion made in the article:

Quote:
What do we make of all this? Davis speculates that the story was cooked up by some pale fellow to take advantage of publicity surrounding the Gorleston whale exhibition and that it's been passed along by the gullible ever since. He's probably right — how could anyone survive overnight in a whale's stomach without suffocating? But in the absence of a smoking gun, or a quotation from Bartley, I guess we'll never know for sure.

The fact still remains that a human needs oxygen to live and 3 days in a stomach in the ocean would not give the needed oxygen to survive. Plus DIGESTIVE JUICES!

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 pm 
God

Well, at least there is progress being made here. before it was impossible. Anyway, with God all things are possible, such as Christ healing the blind from birth.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:
Well, at least there is progress being made here. before it was impossible. Anyway, with God all things are possible, such as Christ healing the blind from birth.

Is god bound by natural laws or not in your belief system?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm 
God

just me wrote:
Is god bound by natural laws or not in your belief system?

If a whale managed to swallow up a man it would surely kill him. First he has to get into the mouth without being chomped to death by the large teeth. Then he has to find a nice pocket to lay in with some air. But imagine the gases being stirred up in the belly of a giant fish! Holy god, it must not only stink but is totally acrid and would work right away to start disolving poor Jonah's skin. So, between the skin being burned and the oxygen being quickly depleted there is not much time for Jonah to live. He's toast.

But the idiots who created the story thousands of years ago were living in the Dark Ages of time. They were stupid. They didn't understand the real order of things. They might as well had danced around firelight and sing chants to their god. Modern man shouldn't stoop this low to believe such silly bible stories. But some people, it seems, just have a real need to believe so they will believe in anything. I suppose if the tooth fairy was in the bible they'd believe in her too.

Paul O

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
God

I suppose that if you guys were there when Christ healed the young man who was blind from birth, you would say that was not according to natural law! That was a fake! Crucify him!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:

Paul O

I hate to ask. I mean I know this is celestial and all....... but why is that man holding a match inside a giant vagina?

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:
I suppose that if you guys were there when Christ healed the young man who was blind from birth, you would say that was not according to natural law! That was a fake! Crucify him!

If we witnessed something why would we say anything at all? Of course, he coulda been one of those fake healers who gets people to pretend....

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 pm 
God

just me wrote:
If we witnessed something why would we say anything at all? Of course, he coulda been one of those fake healers who gets people to pretend....

For Christ's sake, all those amazing things written in the bible about Jesus performing miracles is a bunch of nonsense. Those things were written down after he died and a bunch of faith promoting stories were put together by his apostles as they sought to idolize their Jesus and make him a god. Did he cause the blind to see and leal lepers? I don't give a rat's ass whether he did or didn't. There is no proof. Just bible stories and claims therein, much like the claims of Joe Smith and Facsimile No. 3 -- which are false.

Jesus means nothing to me. May he rest in peace. The poor fellow died a hard death. But that's not my problem or my fault.

Paul O

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
sorry, you made the claim - the burden is on you.
but don't worry, no one expects you to actually support your "argument".

nonsense - you avoid the point. Provide evidence for these "motivation" with regards to the scriptures. You are illogical by relying on the notion that "some people are wrong" assertion. Provide evidence to your specific claim or realize that you are now one of those "some people".

You could try using your brain for once. If you are interested you can look it up. I don't know many who would claim the authors of any ancient texts including the bible are infallible, and of course many were not there to witness the events and have to go on what they hear from others.

Quote:
Excellent, then let us clarify this matter at once and let the "truth" be known! A simple answer form you will put me in my place.
1. Is there any truth(s) that you can convey which is NOT subjective or imaginary?

The moon currently orbits the earth. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm 
God

gdemetz wrote:

Benny hinn is healing the blind and lame. I suppose we should not be skeptical of him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next