It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 am 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 am
Posts: 7306
gdemetz wrote:
Yes, that is recorded in Abraham 2:22-25, and there is more written about this in Genesis 12: 11-20.


Quote:
22 And it came to pass when I was come near to enter into Egypt, the Lord said unto me: Behold, Sarai, thy wife, is a very fair woman to look upon;

23 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see her, they will say—She is his wife; and they will kill you, but they will save her alive; therefore see that ye do on this wise:

24 Let her say unto the Egyptians, she is thy sister, and thy soul shall live.

25 And it came to pass that I, Abraham, told Sarai, my wife, all that the Lord had said unto me—Therefore say unto them, I pray thee, thou art my sister, that it may be well with me for thy sake, and my soul shall live because of thee.


In summary - It's okay for Mormon's to lie because God is willing to take the blame...

_________________
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
Notice from the biblical account, that it is God who instructs Abraham to say that, and I submit that to God it is not a lie since He is the Heavenly Father of us all. Abraham was just doing what God instructed him to do, and, consequently, was being a good "Mormon." LOL!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
Notice from the biblical account, that it is God who instructs Abraham to say that, and I submit that to God it is not a lie since He is the Heavenly Father of us all. Abraham was just doing what God instructed him to do, and, consequently, was being a good "Mormon." LOL!


Could you show where in the bible God tells him to do it? Also, how does God make it not a lie?

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:53 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
In my prior posts, I quoted the scripture which states that. Also, in the post after that, I explained how, in God's view, that it is factual. I hope nobody here will accuse God of being a liar also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:57 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
In my prior posts, I quoted the scripture which states that. Also, in the post after that, I explained how, in God's view, that it is factual. I hope nobody here will accuse God of being a liar also.


Yes you quoted Gen which never states God told Abraham to lie. This is why I asked. God can't be stupid enough to think it somehow is not a lie. Can you show how it would not be lying.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
You apparently did not read it correctly. It does state that. Also, if we are all the spirit children of God, could we not all be considered brothers and sisters? In fact, in the church some spouses refer to their spouse as brother or sister on occasions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
You apparently did not read it correctly. It does state that.


It does not. If you are so certain it does, it should be easy to quote the specific verse. I remember this came up in an institute class.

Quote:
Also, if we are all the spirit children of God, could we not all be considered brothers and sisters? In fact, in the church some spouses refer to their spouse as brother or sister on occasions.


Please. This is dishonest and lying. I remember talks from church leaders saying just that. It's lying when you are saying things so the other party will think one thing even though you mean another in your own mind. This is done to deceive. If god's out there, he can't be that stupid. It is a lie.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 am 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
Please don't tell that to God, Themis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
Please don't tell that to God, Themis.


Now stop dodging and show where God tells Abraham in the bible to lie about his wife. You are also now dodging the fact that what you were suggesting about being spiritual brothers and sisters is still a lie. You can't tell the pharaoh that she is your sister and it not be a lie. Now if you explained you mean in the spiritual sense then that is ok, but then that would mean the pharaoh would know he was married to her.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 am 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
I told you and gave you the verses! Read it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
I told you and gave you the verses! Read it!


I did, now show where it is. Quote the verse. I checked it already, even though I knew it was not there due to this being brought up in institute that the Book of Abraham gives details that God was the one who commanded it. Like I said, I knew when I read your post you were wrong, and I see you cannot do a simple thing of showing exactly which verse is supposedly is suppose to be in. If you could I think you would, but may not want to admit to being wrong.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:43 am 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
You are right Themis, my bad! It was from the other verse I quoted from the Book of Abraham.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:48 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
You are right Themis, my bad! It was from the other verse I quoted from the Book of Abraham.


Not a problem. I would hope you also realize that your other idea that God would not view it as lying is also incorrect. You can try to argue that lying was justified in this instance to protect Abraham, but it is still lying. The same could be argued for Joseph's secrecy about polygamy, accept for his lying and going behind Emma and other husbands. If it was just a spiritual wifery then lying was not really needed and would be an easy sale.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
Themis, God does not lie, and I believe the Book of Abraham to be correct. Remember that Sarah, according to the Biblical account was actually Abraham's half sister.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 am
Posts: 7306
gdemetz wrote:
Themis, God does not lie, and I believe the Book of Abraham to be correct. Remember that Sarah, according to the Biblical account was actually Abraham's half sister.


No, he gets other people to do it for him.

Like when Nephi murders Laban, steals his clothes and lies his way to getting his hands on Labans plates. Followed by lying to Ishmael about why he should accompany them.

_________________
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
I take it that you are not a big fan of God. Anyhow, I have read the scriptures of the accounts you are referring to, I think at least eight times, and I don't get the same impression that you do at all. For example, God did instruct Nephi to kill Laban, which is nothing new since God has destroyed the wicked many times before. However, it is Nephi who puts on Laban's attire in an attempt to get away, but he never states that he is Laban, and just how did he lie to Laban's servant?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
Themis, God does not lie, and I believe the Book of Abraham to be correct. Remember that Sarah, according to the Biblical account was actually Abraham's half sister.


The issue was that God would recognize what you proposed was a lie.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
No themis, look at your posts. You kept saying "lie," but it was not a lie by Abraham or God since she really was his sister!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
No themis, look at your posts. You kept saying "lie," but it was not a lie by Abraham or God since she really was his sister!


Read the account. It is an attempt at deception, and is therefore lying. God would not be that stupid not to recognize this.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am
Posts: 1681
I disagree Themis. The truth was told in stating that Sarah was his sister. Was some deception involved? Yes, insofar as withholding information to save Abraham's life. Is this the only incident in which God or His prophets have withheld information which caused confusion, and could possibly be referred to as deception? Of course not. There are numerous instances in the scriptures where God withheld information which could be termed as deceptive. For example, we are told, as revealed by God to Moses, that man was created from the dust of the earth, which is true, but it could also be termed by some as deceptive since Adam was the son of God. Has this deceived many people? Of course, it has. Just look at all the cartoon type films regarding this which depict Adam rising up from the ground. There are numerous other instances I could mention in which God or His prophets have told the truth. but not revealed the whole story. I would never call God or His prophets a liar for this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Adam-God Theory"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:01 am 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 7838
gdemetz wrote:
I disagree Themis. The truth was told in stating that Sarah was his sister. Was some deception involved? Yes,


BINGO That's what people call lying.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group