Reformed Egyptian = Latin Short Hand? Celestial version

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Reformed Egyptian = Latin Short Hand? Celestial version

Post by _moksha »

DrW wrote:ETA: Just realized that the "unsinkable yacht" could be to be used as the raw material for another faith promoting analogy. (Wouldn't be surprised, actually.)

It is true because it is constructed of Polyurethane foam with only minuscule tumbaga gilding.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

moksha wrote:
DrW wrote:ETA: Just realized that the "unsinkable yacht" could be to be used as the raw material for another faith promoting analogy. (Wouldn't be surprised, actually.)
It is true because it is constructed of Polyurethane foam with only minuscule tumbaga gilding.

I think it is not tumbaga. It is zamak, same as THE plates...
A cheap, weak, crappy material.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I thought the 'charactors' were based on Irish shorthand?
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_hagoth7
_Emeritus

Post by _hagoth7 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I thought the 'charactors' were based on Irish shorthand?

Hi Doc,

Technically it was claimed to be based on Tironian shorthand that was said to be in an Irish manuscript. (The manuscript in question has vanished, so there's no way to confirm whether the manuscript in question contained Tironian shorthand or not, but several of the 'charactors' do bear a strong resemblance to known examples of Tironian shorthand. Whether that is mere coincidence or whether there is more to such claims remains to be seen.) You can call it Irish shorthand if you really want to, but that version of shorthand was used in many European countries throughout the Middle Ages, not just in Ireland. Tironian shorthand was introduced to Europe by a slave who appeared on the Roman scene around 54 BC - a few short years after the northward-bound ships built by the Nephite Hagoth vanished from Nephite history. Hagoth and that slave were contemporaries.

That's just to answer your question quickly. I'll address all this in detail, with additional evidence from Europe to consider, in a new thread starting later this week.
Joseph Smith: "I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself."
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/Book of Mormon/alm ... ang=eng#20
Red pill: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/New Testament/acts/ ... ang=eng#10
Blue pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU