Laura F. Willes Book of Mormon Lecture, 8 September

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Laura F. Willes Book of Mormon Lecture, 8 September

Post by _Fence Sitter »

cursor wrote:
truth dancer wrote:Just want to add that the Mormon Stories podcast with Dr. Coe is a MUST LISTEN!

Dr. John L. Sorenson said:
    "Some people see a placid stream ahead of them and think the water must be safe to cross, only to find that their perception was faulty and deep holes await them. Something like that has happened to you in regard to your podcast with Mr. Dehlin about the Book of Mormon. Before you and other readers again stumble into the difficulties you encountered, allow me to offer some corrections."
An Open Letter to Michael Coe

Hi Cursor and welcome!

Can we assume you are the same Cursor that posts as Cursor at MDDB?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_cursor
_Emeritus

Post by _cursor »

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, that'd be me. =)
_cursor
_Emeritus

Post by _cursor »

John L Sorenson has spent the last several years (he's currently 89 years old, "retired" since he was 62) writing his "final" book, called Mormon's Codex: An Ancient American Book. It's more than 800 pages in length, and includes the following features:
  • 19 illustrations (including 11 maps that I authored)
  • over 2,000 footnotes
  • 1,300 bibliographical references
  • an extensive index
A substantial preview of the text can be downloaded here:
http://www.johnlsorenson.com/docs/mcodex_preview.pdf

Hardcopy volumes will be on Deseret Book store shelves by the first week of September:
http://deseretbook.com/Mormons-Codex-Jo ... /i/5102381
_cursor
_Emeritus

Post by _cursor »

I will later offer a link to Momon's Codex: A Summary, wherein a more extensive glimpse is provided into the full Mormon's Codex text.
_cursor
_Emeritus

Post by _cursor »

Joey wrote:
Provo wrote:Credentials of an impressive draw for MST, the fireside chat circuit and the Olivewood Bookstore followers in Provo!!  Kudos!!
Yet most wonder why, with all these credentials, he [has] yet to convince a single secular professional peer, publication, or academic institution (including BYU) to give any serious attention, acknowledgement or accreditation to this record of an ancient history, people or culture (the Book of Mormon)!!

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what MST might mean. Maybe you can help, Joey.

[ Speaking of credentials ... ]
Michael D. Coe is one of the world's most recognized authorities on the ancient Maya.
When he was recently interviewed by John Dehlin's Mormon Stories, he made a HUGE number of very serious factual blunders. John L Sorenson, retired (at 89 years old) recognized that someone should offer significant correction. He constructed and offered "An Open Letter to Michael Coe" ... referenced earlier in this thread. What might be a reasonable response from the defacto [credentialed] Maya expert? No response exists [despite the fact that the two have been professionally associated for decades]. Why might that be? John L. Sorenson plans on mailing a copy of his extensive Mormon's Codex: An Ancient American Book to his colleague Micheal Coe when in print, early next month. Will he read it? What might he learn?
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

cursor wrote:
[ Speaking of credentials ... ]
Michael D. Coe is one of the world's most recognized authorities on the ancient Maya.
When he was recently interviewed by John Dehlin's Mormon Stories, he made a HUGE number of very serious factual blunders. John L Sorenson, retired (at 89 years old) recognized that someone should offer significant correction. He constructed and offered "An Open Letter to Michael Coe" ... referenced earlier in this thread. What might be a reasonable response from the defacto [credentialed] Maya expert? No response exists [despite the fact that the two have been professionally associated for decades]. Why might that be? John L. Sorenson plans on mailing a copy of his extensive Mormon's Codex: An Ancient American Book to his colleague Micheal Coe when in print, early next month. Will he read it? What might he learn?

Well, I hope Dr. Serenson does send a copy of it to Dr. Coe and I hope he reads and responds to it. I listened to the Dr. Coe podcast and really enjoyed it. He seemed to be very forthcoming and he did not seem to have any agenda or axe to grind against the church.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits