Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey again Dad,

Dad of a Mormon wrote:
I appreciate Ceeboo's fairness, but in this case I think she is mistaken.

I am almost certain (about 93 %) that Ceeboo is a male (I have seen Ceeboo in the shower) :)

Possibly she is making the assumption

See shower reference above. :)

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Dad of a Mormon
_Emeritus

Post by _Dad of a Mormon »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey again Dad,

Dad of a Mormon wrote:
I appreciate Ceeboo's fairness, but in this case I think she is mistaken.

I am almost certain (about 93 %) that Ceeboo is a male (I have seen Ceeboo in the shower) :)

Possibly she is making the assumption

See shower reference above. :)

Peace,
Ceeboo

My sincere apologies.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Dad of a Mormon wrote:
My sincere apologies.

Although certainly appreciated, clearly not needed (Just playing in hopes to offer a few smiles)

Peace,
Ceeboo
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Dad of a Mormon wrote:In the end, either Will used the C-word or he didn't. Obviously, someone is lying. If harmony, MrStak, and Spurven are all lying, I find it reprehensible. But the evidence is clearly on their side. I just think that one side should own up to what happened. And based on the evidence we have, I think it is pretty clear that Will is lying.

Dad of a Mormon, with all due respect, I have to disagree with you that these are the only options. Ever heard of false memory syndrome? The human memory is created and highly malleable, and none of us can remember every detail that happens to us in a given day. Where the brain can't remember, it often fills in the gaps with words, phrases, and other memories that seem to fit. People are also known to have involuntarily erased memories of things they have done that they are ashamed of and to have passionately defended false memories even after being shown that they aren't true.

I don't want to go into details, but I grew up in an abusive home situation. I could give a lot of very specific accounts of the things my father said and did to me and the abuse he heaped on me. If you asked him today (and he is a kinder, gentler man today), my father would almost certainly deny everything, and I don't think it's because he's a liar. I think that, in the eleven years since I left home, his brain really has involuntarily replaced the memories of what he did to me.

William's comment to harmony was made over six months ago. He made it in the heat of the moment, it was probably one of dozens of comments that he was making around the Internet at the time, and he hasn't been reminded of it since. It's entirely possible that he no longer remembers making it and, thus, isn't lying. for what it's worth, I also don't believe that he was lying about not having remembered saying Emma Smith was a "champion bitch." I think he really did not remember saying it.

It is, however, entirely impossible that harmony, MrStakhanovite and Spurven Ten Sing are jointly misremembering, and outright laughable to think that they've conspired to make something up about him.

As I said earlier in this thread, there was no conspiracy. This thread was my own doing, I alone took the initiative to get it done, and I think everyone would be surprised at the amount of time it actually took to compose. Coding the damned BBCode to look neat and clean was the most taxing part about it all. (I enjoy writing web code about as much as I enjoyed the hurtie needle part of getting my tattoo last year.)
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Jason Bourne wrote: As for Droopy and Wade what can I say? I would be embarrassed were I you. Will is clearly in the wrong. Why don't you encourage him to come clean on this?

Wade are there hypocrites here? Yep. I am one of them to a certain extent. So are you. Don't accuse people of lacking charity when your very posts are anything but charitable....

Here is the key difference. My statements are an obvious parody, and they aren't a part of a massive pile-on. Were you capable of taking pause form your self-righteous indignation, this might have occurred to you. As it is...

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
"Why should I care about being consistent?" --Mister Scratch (MD, '08)
_Buffalo
_Emeritus

Post by _Buffalo »

wenglund wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote: As for Droopy and Wade what can I say? I would be embarrassed were I you. Will is clearly in the wrong. Why don't you encourage him to come clean on this?

Wade are there hypocrites here? Yep. I am one of them to a certain extent. So are you. Don't accuse people of lacking charity when your very posts are anything but charitable....

Here is the key difference. My statements are an obvious parody, and they aren't a part of a massive pile-on. Were you capable of taking pause form your self-righteous indignation, this might have occurred to you. As it is...

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Are you sure you understand what "parody" means? You've also claimed that Will's sexual harassment is parody - of what I'm not sure. Is he doing an impression of Andrew Dice Clay?

Last edited by Guest on Tue May 03, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parley P. Pratt wrote:We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.
_LifeOnaPlate
_Emeritus

Post by _LifeOnaPlate »

wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Is it a parody when nobody gets it? Given your frequent recourse to pragmatic approaches which seek to achieve a certain goal by the quickest and best method, I didn't understand what you were trying to do for most of the thread. Why not leave the carnival? Maybe I can take a few of you with me if I stay for a second. :)
One moment in annihilation's waste,
one moment, of the well of life to taste-
The stars are setting and the caravan
starts for the dawn of nothing; Oh, make haste!

-Omar Khayaam

*Be on the lookout for the forthcoming album from Jiminy Finn and the Moneydiggers.*
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

By way of clarification, is it now being claimed that the "C" word wasn't actually seen, but "c***" was, and instead of deleting just the alleged omodified word, or moving the post to the terrestrial or tellestial forums where such modified versions of swear words are quite common and permissable, the entire post was deleted after several hours, and no outrage was expressed until after the post was deleted?

And, even though this thread is entirely personal in nature, instead of the entire thread being moved to the other forums, only those selectively presumed personal posts which don't favor the prevailing personal attacks, are removed to the other forums?

I am just trying to get a sense for how bizarre things are want to get here.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
"Why should I care about being consistent?" --Mister Scratch (MD, '08)
_Dad of a Mormon
_Emeritus

Post by _Dad of a Mormon »

MsJack wrote:
Dad of a Mormon wrote:In the end, either Will used the C-word or he didn't. Obviously, someone is lying. If harmony, MrStak, and Spurven are all lying, I find it reprehensible. But the evidence is clearly on their side. I just think that one side should own up to what happened. And based on the evidence we have, I think it is pretty clear that Will is lying.

Dad of a Mormon, with all due respect, I have to disagree with you that these are the only options. Ever heard of false memory syndrome? The human memory is created and highly malleable, and none of us can remember every detail that happens to us in a given day. Where the brain can't remember, it often fills in the gaps with words, phrases, and other memories that seem to fit. People are also known to have involuntarily erased memories of things they have done that they are ashamed of and to have passionately defended false memories even after being shown that they aren't true.

I don't want to go into details, but I grew up in an abusive home situation. I could give a lot of very specific accounts of the things my father said and did to me and the abuse he heaped on me. If you asked him today (and he is a kinder, gentler man today), my father would almost certainly deny everything, and I don't think it's because he's a liar. I think that, in the eleven years since I left home, his brain really has involuntarily replaced the memories of what he did to me.

William's comment to harmony was made over six months ago. He made it in the heat of the moment, it was probably one of dozens of comments that he was making around the Internet at the time, and he hasn't been reminded of it since. It's entirely possible that he no longer remembers making it and, thus, isn't lying. for what it's worth, I also don't believe that he was lying about not having remembered saying Emma Smith was a "champion bitch." I think he really did not remember saying it.

It is, however, entirely impossible that harmony, MrStakhanovite and Spurven Ten Sing are jointly misremembering, and outright laughable to think that they've conspired to make something up about him.

As I said earlier in this thread, there was no conspiracy. This thread was my own doing, I alone took the initiative to get it done, and I think everyone would be surprised at the amount of time it actually took to compose. Coding the damned BBCode to look neat and clean was the most taxing part about it all. (I enjoy writing web code about as much as I enjoyed the hurtie needle part of getting my tattoo last year.)

I had actually considered that he may have forgotten this, but it just seemed too unlikely to me. Especially since he has twice tried to reconstruct what he did say. But now that you have brought it up, your theory is entirely plausible. I think it must be extremely frustrating to him to not be able to remember these incidents, only to later have to admit that they did, in fact, happen. Of course, in this case, he may never have to admit anything because there is no hard evidence, only the recollection of people who saw it.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

wenglund wrote:And, even though this thread is entirely personal in nature, instead of the entire thread being moved to the other forums, only those selectively presumed personal posts which don't favor the prevailing personal attacks, are removed to the other forums?

This thread has a substantive OP that calls for substantive engagement. I said nothing about William that was "personal" and only addressed things he has said on this forum, and I've done my best to report personal attacks on him that have appeared in this thread for removal to other forums.

Other people have complained about things William has said about his wife or suggested that his wife must be appalled at all of this. I deliberately ignored any and all material dealing with his wife and family because I felt it was too personal.

You, Droopy, and anyone else who would like to argue against the OP are welcome to do so at your leisure.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter