It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: garments over or under bra
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:40 pm 
Nursery

I just went to the temple the first time. And I am really having a hard time wearing my bra over the garment. Do I have too? Will i be looked down on by god for wearing my bra under my garment. I just want a little advice to ease my unsettled mind. Please help. Thank you so much stacey

Post subject: Re: garments over or under bra
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:22 pm 
God

slrhodes1979 wrote:
I just went to the temple the first time. And I am really having a hard time wearing my bra over the garment. Do I have too? Will i be looked down on by god for wearing my bra under my garment. I just want a little advice to ease my unsettled mind. Please help. Thank you so much stacey

The official policy is to wear it over the G's. Welcome to the next level of the never ending round of guilt, pressure and control.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:50 pm 
Nursery

wow, thanks. I figured that much. Just wish i felt a little more feminine with the bra over the g's. lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm 
God

RockSlider wrote:
The official policy is to wear it over the G's. Welcome to the next level of the never ending round of guilt, pressure and control.

Is that really the policy?

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:37 am 
God

Is it policy... or is it Doctrinal?

Did Joseph have a revelation about this?

I'm sure he would have had hands-on experience.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:04 pm 
God

slrhodes1979 wrote:

Stacey, remember there are angels in heaven anoting on tablets all the deeds we do here. Do you want it written on your tablet that you dared wear a bra under your garments?

I didn't think so. -smile-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm 
God

Stacey, on a cosmic scale this is too trivial for you or God to worry about. Wear rhem in whichever order feels most comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 am 
I could never stand to wear it over and felt bad that I wore it under. After about 20 years I finally asked my Bishop what the rule was and he said it didn't matter one way or the other and if it was more comfortable to wear it under that it was fine.
If your Bishop says differently, you just have to ask around until you find one that agrees :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:14 am 
θεά

I've had numerous female friends about my age (20s) who went through the temple in the last 10 years and were told by the temple matron that whether to wear the bra over or under was their choice.

It's only further anecdotal evidence, but this thread at RFM seemed to show a higher number of women being told it was their choice from the 90s onward.

I don't think I could ever handle garments to begin with---not with the women's garments being patterned after men's underwear as they currently are---but I definitely wouldn't ever wear a bra over an undershirt. I wish the men who thought up that rule in the first place would wear a pair of Speedos over their garment bottoms for a while and see how they like it. Or heck, I guess they could even just try wearing a bra over a garment top themselves. Image

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm 
Nursery

Thanks so much guys. Yea the garment is not a bother to wear at all. But it is strange wearing the bra over the undershirt. I will have to ask the matrons at the temple tomorrow when i go. i just wanna do the right thing, and if i really do have a choice in the matter will be really nice. lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 am 
First Presidency

Dump the bra altogether.

There, problem solved. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 pm 
God

They never gave the men specific instructions, so I always wear it under.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 am 
God

cinepro wrote:

wow. I always wore my swim trunks over my garments.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 pm 
Bishop

Inconceivable wrote:
cinepro wrote:

wow. I always wore my swim trunks over my garments.

No, please!
I am a visual type, and there is a time before déjeuner.

by the way this is a cheap way to lose weight.

Should I honour you? Why?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : Prometheus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:44 pm 
God

I just got a call from a friend of mine, a temple worker who does own endowments, and asked her about this. She told me that you can wear them however you like, under or over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

slrhodes1979 wrote:

Hi Stacey,
I had a really hard time with that at first too. Even worse are the built in bra seams on the shirts, which hit my chest in the wrong spot.

My endowment day was a blur and I really can't recall for certain if anyone at the temple instructed me on the bra over the garment thing (I went in the late 90's), but somewhere I acquired the notion that my bra must be worn over it. I probably figured the skin should be in direct contact with the markings. All the garment wearing women I knew wore their bra over the garment as well.

It wasn't until the internet that I learned some women were told it was optional, and I was a little miffed to find out I could have been doing that all along.

One plus to wearing your bra over is that the garment will stay right in place, enabling you to keep it covered well. You will have far more options with shirts and dresses that way. You could even wear a lower cut shirt with those sweetheart neckline garments they have. ;) (I've seen more than a few LDS women exposing cleavage with their garment still covered)
With the silky fabric it will slide all over the place if you put the bra underneath, and you will have trouble wearing summer shirts without it sticking out of the sleeve or neckline.

Don't feel guilty if you decide to wear your bra underneath. The garment has changed drastically over the years, and there was a time my parents had to wear a one piece garment. Some even thought they had to keep them on during intimacy. (because there was a flap on both the male and female garments that enabled them to) My ancestors wore them to the wrist and ankle.
I can't imagine how women wore bras on top of a one piece because that would make potty breaks very cumbersome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:15 pm 
the very elect

Stacey,

If you are young, in great shape with weight in the right areas, it would be very acceptable to just not wear the bra.

However, if you are older, please do wear the bra, under, over, or without the garmies. We don't care, but please, for the love of God, wear the bra!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:27 pm 
the very elect

Stacey,

May I ask if you are a convert?

31 years old?

From Monroe?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm 
God

I'm quite sure that someone, at some point in this thread, will demand references. Preferably visual references.

It just won't be me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:41 am 
θεά

You may find this blog post helpful:

The Great Bra Debate @ fMh

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm 
Elder

I just don't believe that, if there is a God, he or she would care what type of underwear we wear, or how we wear it.