It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A rule against malicious misquotation of board members?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm 
God

MG wrote:
If I go the ignore route, that doesn't stop the poster from misquoting/lying. I am still being misrepresented. It is THAT issue that I think needs to be resolved.

This is not necessarily true from a long term perspective. If you put Grinandel on ignore, then you won't be engaging him. You won't be reading or responding to his posts. There will be no misrepresentation on his part because he won't have any material to misquote. You will not be engaging him in any way.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:
Lesson learned. Hold me to it!

Hold YOURSELF to it...

I was simply bringing an element of civility/levity to the conversation (notice the exclamation point...). You don't ACTUALLY have to hold me to it. No worries.

Jersey Girl wrote:
...you helpless ass.

So much for civility...

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:
MG wrote:
If I go the ignore route, that doesn't stop the poster from misquoting/lying. I am still being misrepresented. It is THAT issue that I think needs to be resolved.

This is not necessarily true from a long term perspective. If you put Grinandel on ignore, then you won't be engaging him. You won't be reading or responding to his posts. There will be no misrepresentation on his part because he won't have any material to misquote. You will not be engaging him in any way.

Point taken.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm 
God

Dr Shades has fully answered the OP.

MG knows what he needs to now do.

Nothing left to discuss.

Thread over.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
Nothing left to discuss.

Thread over.

Agreed. I am assuming that you're OK with going to the end of pg.14 rather than pg.13 if Shades adjusts this thread?

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:30 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

I think some good came out of bringing this issue up. Drama wasn't and isn't my intent. That is the perception of others...such as yourself.

Your input is noted.

Regards,
MG

It's not just him. You create most of the problems for yourself here, but even now, for some reason, you don't understand that. Until you do things won't really change.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
You create most of the problems for yourself here, but even now, for some reason, you don't understand that. Until you do things won't really change.

I'm not saying, at all, that I'm some kind of squeaky clean personality that never rubs other folks the wrong way. It is a two way street, granted. I think that a self imposed DMZ may be a viable solution. And I've committed to doing my part to stay on my side of that zone. Yes, I am a bit jumpy when it comes to what I believe to be attacks on my personal integrity, etc., and I may come across a bit self righteous in the process.

And I am under no illusions that I am the perfect specimen of decorum in all situations.

We all can always do better, including me.

Life is a learning process and has a learning curve. We can all be humbled at times by our own weaknesses of the flesh.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
I'm not saying, at all, that I'm some kind of squeaky clean personality that never rubs other folks the wrong way. It is a two way street, granted. I think that a self imposed DMZ may be a viable solution. And I've committed to doing my part to stay on my side of that zone. Yes, I am a bit jumpy when it comes to what I believe to be attacks on my personal integrity, etc., and I may come across a bit self righteous in the process.

And I am under no illusions that I am the perfect specimen of decorum in all situations.

We all can always do better, including me.

Life is a learning process and has a learning curve. We can all be humbled at times by our own weaknesses of the flesh.

Regards,
MG

People will always attack us and misrepresent what we say. Ignoring the worst of it will save you a lot of time, and I think you will find yourself a lot happier. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm 
Charlatan

mentalgymnast wrote:
Is it inappropriate for this kind of silliness to go on here in this forum and on this board?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47348&start=21

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47259&start=294

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47259&start=294

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47363&start=42

I am being continually harassed by a board member who is misquoting me and then making light of it. Is that something we want to see happen here? Does it move us in the direction of safe/productive discussion? I let this member have the last word on the four threads in question because it is a total waste of time to engage him further.

Is this acceptable behavior? If so, I think we have one more reason that folks are unwilling to participate on this board. If they can't safely say what they want to say without being harassed through misattribution/misquoting, I think there are some real problems.

But that's just me. Others? What say ye?

All four threads are pretty much blown up. Yes, I responded to the other board member. But what would you do if you were being misquoted and in essence, mocked? Isn't willful and malicious misquotation a form of lying?

Is this board going to protect their own...or protect everyone?

If we don't feel safe, can we have a civil discussion?

Regards,
MG

Just laugh and think of them as Statler and Waldorf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6I_dKUYyI4

There were others before you, and there will be others after you tied too their whipping post.

If you know what you believe and why you believe it, it should not matter. Does it really matter what they say too you? You are fair and concise with what you believe... even if dreadfully wrong :) So in other words, don't take it too seriously. Personally I enjoy reading your posts... and while I disagree with most, I understand your view.

Edit...LOL go to 6:46 of the link I gave you...it answers your question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Got that too. I suppose I'm failing to understand as to why it was used as an "emulating style" in this instance.

Regards,
MG

To make you look like an even bigger ass than you are.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 pm 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
...you helpless ass.

So much for civility...

Regards,
MG

You do you. I'll do me. I place no conditions on the expressions of others. That's your shtick.v

Not Jersey Girl
v
v

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh