It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Defending Mormonism brings out the assholes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:17 am 
God

Shortly after my mission, one of the investigators I converted came to visit me in Utah. While taking this new convert to temple square, in the distance we could hear a big kerfuffle.

As we got closer to the temple gates, we could now see what all the commotion was about. Some religious protestor was marching around the temple walls with a sign along the lines of "Jesus died for your sins" or something like that. As we witnessed this exchange, it wasn't the protester that was yelling and making a scene. Rather it was the two Mormon men trying to "prove" the church was true.

At the end of the heated exchange, the one red-faced Mormon man yelled, "Brigham Young was my great, great, great, grandpa you MOTHER ____!!!!"

My new convert was in complete shock. I tried my best to explain what was going on, but there really was no excuse for this mans poor behavior.

Looking at all the exchanges I've had over the years on both sides, I will admit my temperature would rise more often defending Mormonism. I now understand it's because I was always on the losing side. After taking blow after blow and the only defense is "it feels true so it must be true", I can see why defending Mormonism brings out the assholes sometimes.

Post subject: Re: Defending Mormonism brings out the assholes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:28 pm 
the very elect

Sanctorian wrote:
Looking at all the exchanges I've had over the years on both sides, I will admit my temperature would rise more often defending Mormonism. I now understand it's because I was always on the losing side. After taking blow after blow and the only defense is "it feels true so it must be true", I can see why defending Mormonism brings out the assholes sometimes.

You hit the nail on the head.

Just like a scared cat backed into a corner, the defenders only have frantic swipes and fear left to defend themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:47 pm 
Priest

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

You hit the nail on the head.

Just like a scared cat backed into a corner, the defenders only have frantic swipes and fear left to defend themselves.

lol....I suppose it makes you feel good to see it that way....but I don't see it that way at all. When I was anti, I never felt like Defenders were scared.

I know that as a Mormon, I am not scared. Your posts do not hurt my faith....you did not give it to me. Your posts do not shock me, I used all this info when I was an anti. I know it does no real good to defend and provide counter-evidence because it will be ignored.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:55 pm 
God

I always love the "when I was anti but now I'm not anti" argument. As if anti in and of itself creates further enlightenment into actual truth. See ldsfaqs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:06 pm 
Priest

Sanctorian wrote:
I always love the "when I was anti but now I'm not anti" argument. As if anti in and of itself creates further enlightenment into actual truth. See ldsfaqs.

I am impressed with leaps you must make to feel significant. I did not say or hint at all. I was simply referring to a time where I was anti.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:10 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:

Yes I have seen this as well. It's like the parallel universe to Bob's Mormon Cred scale.

https://www.proprofs.com/survey/t/?title=vfai3

cwald's Results

Bob's Mormon Cred Scale
The All Mighty Bob thanks you.

Your Score
85 points

Your Result
You have Celestial Mormon Cred. You are now endowed with power from on high to claim that you know first hand the only true and living Mormon experience, feel free to pass judgment on other Mormons willy-nilly.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:54 pm 
God

Thanks Cwald!!! I scored a 90. Those 10 points must be reserved for second anointed bastards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:31 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
Thanks Cwald!!! I scored a 90. Those 10 points must be reserved for second anointed bastards.

I lost 10 points because I did not graduate from a Mormon school. I should have known telling Ricks to ____ off when they told me I would have to shave would come back to haunt me. Curse you USU and Oregon State for you liberal heathen entrance requirements!

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 pm 
Area Authority

I agree that often people in this cultish LDS church are taught to shun or put down anybody who presents "inconvenient truths." They have bought something partly healthy and partly harmful, but they are scared to consider the negative aspects, because it would require a lot of changes they just couldn't make. Basically the church is their god - they prioritize the cult over what is really GOoD.

Still, it's not just Mormonism - it's that defending anything that doesn't REALLY make sense, makes one feel threatened and brings out the worst in them.
Same with Atheism, Abortion, Homosexual "rights" etc.
If I lay out logical arguments, with FACTS, people revert to ad hominem attacks (name-calling etc.) because they have nothing better to offer. Instead of addressing the FACTS, they try to attack the messenger.

Some people who are equally illogical fall for it and think, "Oh, yeah, that messenger is stupid."
But those who have some logical skill realize how illogical the person engaging in logical fallacy is, and they consider if the message itself is logical or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:16 pm 
God

no mission, no BYU, I'm screwed, 65

How did you do cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:32 pm 
God

RockSlider wrote:
no mission, no BYU, I'm screwed, 65

How did you do cowboy

UtahTexan?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 am 
God

Thank God I'm a lost cause!

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:07 pm 
Area Authority

Crap...I got 50.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:42 pm 
God

I got a 90, probably because I never really aspired to a significant calling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:42 pm 
God

35 points :confused:

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:49 pm 
God

Your Score
0 points
Your Result
You have Telestial Mormon Cred. If you bag on other Mormons or pretend like you know the full experience firsthand, then your limited cred will be revoked and you will become part of Outer Mo-cred Darkness.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:41 pm 
Teacher

I got 25.

Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:00 pm 
Area Authority

I got ninety, but what does it mean? I don't get it, but I'm a baby boomer.....maybe that's why. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:43 pm 
Sunbeam

I took the test and scored 95. I venture that the higher your score, the more difficult it is to leave the church.
Do you ever wish you could have a do-over and get out of the church at a young age?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:30 am 
God

2bizE wrote:
Do you ever wish you could have a do-over and get out of the church at a young age?

My wish for a do-over would go back to the 1830s when my family tree was converted in Europe and came to America as converts. I wish none of my family had ever had anything to do with JSjr.

2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 am 
God

cwald wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:

Yes I have seen this as well. It's like the parallel universe to Bob's Mormon Cred scale.

https://www.proprofs.com/survey/t/?title=vfai3

cwald's Results

Bob's Mormon Cred Scale
The All Mighty Bob thanks you.

Your Score
85 points

Your Result
You have Celestial Mormon Cred. You are now endowed with power from on high to claim that you know first hand the only true and living Mormon experience, feel free to pass judgment on other Mormons willy-nilly.

This survey is slanted to give TBM men higher scores than TBM women. As a TBM woman I got married at 18 yrs old. That precluded me from a mission and is the reason I didn't attend a Mormon school. Not to mention, teacher or counselor is the highest calling a woman can get other than the actual RS/YW/Primary president.

Harumph. I got 60 points and I am not happy about it.