It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about the Temple pre-1990
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:10 am 
Priest

I'm posting this here because I understand that Temple content is banned in the Terrestrial forum.

My question is this: Where did the phrase Pay Lay Ale come from?

The original form was apparently something like "pale ale ale" or "pale hale hale". http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no76.htm

I've found a few explanations online, none of which seem to check out:

-- It comes from "pe le el", "mouth to God" in Hebrew. This is possible, as JSJr knew Hebrew, but it feels a bit too neat.
-- It means "marvellous Lucifer". This is a fundamentalist EV theory which is very unlikely to be true.
-- It comes from the magical term "Pe Le" which was inscribed on a ring by the 16th century occultist John Dee. I can't see how JSJr can possibly have come by this knowlede. It also doesn't account for the "Ale" bit.

Did JSJr get it from the Freemasons? Did he just make it up?

Post subject: Re: Question about the Temple pre-1990
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:43 am 
Seedy Academician

Quote:
Agrippa mentions in Book III Cap.11 of The Occult Philosophy, “that place in Judges” where the word pele or peli is used in the sentence: “Nomine meum quod est (Peh Lamed Aleph)”; meaning, “My name, which is [Peh-Lamed-Aleph]”. All I found in Dowry-Raines was the word mirabile (miraculous) where Agrippa said PELE should be. Due to this, I thought for a little while that it might just be the English “Aleph” spelled out in reverse—you know—the way Hebrew is normally written, right to left.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=896708#p896708

You might find this thread useful.

On the change to the "Adamic" phrase: First, we have no idea what kind of transformations happened between Nauvoo and the early 20th century. As far as I know, no one wrote down the ritual until Brigham Young dictated to Nuttall. I think it is most probable that the phrase started out as Hebrew and was then distorted by some chain of oral transmission. It is also necessary to interrogate the accuracy of the two expositors' aural memories. I don't know the UTLM's source material in the Tribune, so I can't say.

In any case, I believe that the Hebrew scholars who advised the Mormon leaders were on to something, but that their simple, mundane solution did not go far enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 am 
Priest

Kishkumen wrote:

Thanks. I'm currently leaning towards canpakes' theory that it's kabbalistically related to Emma Peel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 am 
God

Johannes wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:

Thanks. I'm currently leaning towards canpakes' theory that it's kabbalistically related to Emma Peel.

Lol.

I'm going to go with Kish and say that oral transformation/transcription between Nauvoo and Salt Lake City has to be considered, though his gloss on the ring is very intriguing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:00 am 
Seedy Academician

Johannes wrote:

We certainly should bring Emma into this. It would be criminal not to!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:17 am 
Seedy Academician

Blix wrote:
...his gloss on the ring is very intriguing.

I like the reading of the ring that Frater Sharash offers:

Quote:
One very interesting thing I’ve noted on the ring is the center design. It is extremely curious that Dee, in the paragraph on the ring says to use a “thing like a V” instead of just “V” in contrast to the very specific “and an L”. But if one notes the way the circle cuts through the V and L; turning the design upside down, the “thing like a V” becomes a thing very much like an “A.” And most have probably already put two and two together and noted that this spells “AL,” a very well known name of God. Again, it is my feeling that this should probably be in Hebrew also.

This would lead to a reading of the ring as "Pe Al Le," or "Pe Le Al. One can easily imagine the former morphing into the first option reported in the UTLM piece.

See http://www.scarletwoman.org/scarletletter/v6n1/v6n1_play.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:27 am 
Priest

That is interesting.

What would be the transmission route to JSJr? Did Dee's sigil get taken up in Masonic circles, for example?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:07 pm 
Seedy Academician

Johannes wrote:
That is interesting.

What would be the transmission route to JSJr? Did Dee's sigil get taken up in Masonic circles, for example?

I wish I knew. Unfortunately, I do not. One would have to dig into the circulation of Dee's works after his death. Ashmole got his library. Dee's works eventually found their way to the Bodleian.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:41 pm 
CTR B

Thanks for this OP and the interesting interaction thereafter. I don't often wander down to this forum because it gets, well, just weird. But posts like this make it worth the effort of checking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:21 pm 
Seedy Academician

Chuck Finley wrote:
Thanks for this OP and the interesting interaction thereafter. I don't often wander down to this forum because it gets, well, just weird. But posts like this make it worth the effort of checking.

I, too, am glad Johannes pursued this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:25 am 
the very elect

http://www.redbubble.com/people/barefoo ... ?p=t-shirt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:08 am 
God

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/barefootmelanie/works/15810533-pay-lay-ale?p=t-shirt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My wife is watching Warcraft this morning and while feeding the dog I overheard a part of the script where somebody asks, "Have you a name?" and instantly my mind thought "I have" followed by "Will you give it to me?"
It's been literally decades since I wasted time going to a temple. There's no brainwashing going on in the LDS church folks. :lol:

In time the physical bodies we have will be enhanced to obtain energy directly from nature. - Franktalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 am 
Regional Representative

I always imagined "Pele Ale" is some kind of Hawaiian alcoholic beverage. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am 
First Presidency

deacon blues wrote:
I always imagined "Pele Ale" is some kind of Hawaiian alcoholic beverage. :wink:

Maybe beer is the answer? I know one of the last times I went to the temple included a detour to the local bar afterward for some real pay lay ale. Those sessions grew longer and longer each time I went and the desire for light and knowledge from true refreshment was just too much to resist. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 pm 
God

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/barefootmelanie/works/15810533-pay-lay-ale?p=t-shirt

I'm glad somebody can laugh about it! The day before my first wedding, going five point to five point with some random guy in the temple through a curtain was beyond weird. At that point, I was just numb, shutting down from bizarre overload, so if his sixth point was making a ....point, as it were, I don't know that I would have even noticed. It would have just blended in with the crazy. Simply having to insert my thigh between a man's thighs who was sitting behind a curtain while my bethrothed stood behind me, encouraging me on, while some little old lady was whispering in my ear the right words and tapping on the old guy's curtain with a tiny hanging mallet was too much.

Anybody else read The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood? Her fiction has nothing on real life bizarre Mormon temple stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:13 pm 
Area Authority

Why would they have something in a Temple Ceremony named after a beer??? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:39 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Polygamy-Porter wrote:

I'm glad somebody can laugh about it! The day before my first wedding, going five point to five point with some random guy in the temple through a curtain was beyond weird. At that point, I was just numb, shutting down from bizarre overload, so if his sixth point was making a ....point, as it were, I don't know that I would have even noticed. It would have just blended in with the crazy. Simply having to insert my thigh between a man's thighs who was sitting behind a curtain while my bethrothed stood behind me, encouraging me on, while some little old lady was whispering in my ear the right words and tapping on the old guy's curtain with a tiny hanging mallet was too much.

Anybody else read The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood? Her fiction has nothing on real life bizarre Mormon temple stuff.

Agreed!

ETA- I'm so glad that my upcoming wedding will have none of that weirdness.

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:35 pm 
God

Jesse Pinkman wrote:

Now you get to invent your own weirdness. How cool is that?

:lol:

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:

Now you get to invent your own weirdness. How cool is that?

:lol:

Awesomely cool! Maybe Yoda and Dobby should be on one of the center pieces! LOL! :lol:

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 pm 
God

Candy buffet!!!

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 pm 
Bell Ringer

Exiled wrote:
deacon blues wrote:

Maybe beer is the answer? I know one of the last times I went to the temple included a detour to the local bar afterward for some real pay lay ale. Those sessions grew longer and longer each time I went and the desire for light and knowledge from true refreshment was just too much to resist. :biggrin:

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.