It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That's it, I'm out
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 pm 
1st Counselor

I'm been a 10+ year poster on this and the other major LDS boards. I started out as a believer but I've been intellectually our for the past 15 years. I couldn't play the harmless delusion or good intentions card about the church anymore. I kept my membership to preserve family feelings. However, this policy is about aggressive manipulation that will cause harm to children and families. I'm joining the crowd downtown this Saturday and resigning in person.

Phaedrus

Post subject: Re: That's it, I'm out
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:54 pm 
Sunbeam

See you there!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:08 am 
God

Phaedrus,

FWIW, I completely support your decision. I'm so sorry about all of this that you guys are going through right now.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:48 am 
God

This is nuts. We're witnessing something very interesting. Phaedrus, you're the 6th or 7th poster just on this board to resign. I read on reddit/r/exmormon something like 1400 resignations have been processed by a Utah lawyer since Saturday with over a thousand more scheduled to show up Saturday at the mass resignation event.

- Doc

I have Mental Gymnast on ignore until he makes amends with Grindael, and both Grindael and IHAQ start posting again. I will not allow a troll to drive off two great board members without taking a stand. eta: He's permablocked for his pro-pedophilia comments.

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:19 am 
Seedy Academician

Best wishes, Phaedrus Utah. I wish I could be there with you, brother. I will send my email tomorrow afternoon. I will be chatting with my bishop before I send it. I want a living, breathing, local church leader to know my reasons before I pull the trigger. But I would join you if I could.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 am 
God

Congrats.

Now you can celebrate your "un-baptism". Knowing full well there is life after Mormonism.

And even life abundantly.

Taking a stand is the right thing to do.

If I were still a member I'd be resigning too.

Been there, done that. :)

I resigned ten years ago. It was one of the best things I've ever done.

If I could do "it" again to show my solidarity with you folks, well, I'm standing in solidarity no matter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
This is nuts. We're witnessing something very interesting. Phaedrus, you're the 6th or 7th poster just on this board to resign. I read on reddit/r/exmormon something like 1400 resignations have been processed by a Utah lawyer since Saturday with over a thousand more sceduled to show up Saturday at the mass resignation event.

- Doc

It's another huge straw onto the backs of heavily burdened camels.

It's one more can of crap on already overloaded shelves.

All the best, Phaedrus Utah.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:28 am 
God

Great to hear that you are out, Phaedrus. YES!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 am 
God

DrW wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
This is nuts. We're witnessing something very interesting. Phaedrus, you're the 6th or 7th poster just on this board to resign. I read on reddit/r/exmormon something like 1400 resignations have been processed by a Utah lawyer since Saturday with over a thousand more sceduled to show up Saturday at the mass resignation event.

- Doc

It's another huge straw onto the backs of heavily burdened camels.

It's one more can of crap on already overloaded shelves.

All the best, Phaedrus Utah.

It's only going to affect the periphery. The core membership is made up of people like MG who can swallow anything that gets dished out, and April Whateverhernamewas who scurried back under the controlling skirts of male Church leaders at the first hint she might lose her recommend for being involved with OW.

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:54 am 
God

The Upper Room

Published on Nov 9, 2015
In an unprecedented move, the LDS church has given an inside peek into the recent policy change regarding homosexuals and their children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF4LKgS ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 am 
The Outcast

I have a question wrote:
The core membership is made up of people like MG who can swallow anything ... .
That's what makes Darth J's extreme example in another thread so deliciously clever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:46 am 
God

I have a question wrote:

It's only going to affect the periphery. The core membership is made up of people like MG who can swallow anything that gets dished out, and April Whateverhernamewas who scurried back under the controlling skirts of male Church leaders at the first hint she might lose her recommend for being involved with OW.

The defenders on social media are sounding more and more like ldsfaqs. Those are the ones who are perfectly happy with this policy, and it's who the church is defining as their model member. When the church drives out all the non-conforming Mormons, who will be left for any future "i'm a Mormon" campaign? They'll need to hire actors.

"If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North" - Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:19 am 
God

DarkHelmet wrote:
I have a question wrote:

The defenders on social media are sounding more and more like ldsfaqs. Those are the ones who are perfectly happy with this policy, and it's who the church is defining as their model member. When the church drives out all the non-conforming Mormons, who will be left for any future "i'm a Mormon" campaign? They'll need to hire actors.

Pffft, it is easy to remain a Mormon and a member of the LDS Church. When you know it is a man-made organization, you just learn to ignore the stupid stuff they do and laugh. It has happened in the past and will happen again. That will be true of any church you are or will be a member of.

"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:25 am 
God

I am with you in spirit, Phaedrus.

I have learned a lot from you over the years.

And I hope that will continue.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:41 am 
Elder

sock puppet wrote:
I have a question wrote:
The core membership is made up of people like MG who can swallow anything ... .
That's what makes Darth J's extreme example in another thread so deliciously clever.

Ah man...I saw that!

It doesn't MATTER what the LDS church does for people like that. As long as it cums from the top leadership, even if it offends them to their very boners, they'll still make it work.

That was truly a shocking reveal to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 am 
1st Counselor

Kishkumen wrote:
Best wishes, Phaedrus Utah. I wish I could be there with you, brother. I will send my email tomorrow afternoon. I will be chatting with my bishop before I send it. I want a living, breathing, local church leader to know my reasons before I pull the trigger. But I would join you if I could.

Kish,

I've followed you as a poster here for years. Are you leaving because this also cross the line for you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 am 
1st Counselor

consiglieri wrote:

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Very much the same Consig. The change for me is really just symbolic but it is important for my conscience. I'll still have my interests in biblical and Mormon subject matter and I imagine I'll continue my selective participation on these type of forums.

Cheers!

Phaedrus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:33 pm 
Seedy Academician

Phaedrus Utah wrote:
Kish,

I've followed you as a poster here for years. Are you leaving because this also cross the line for you?

That's right, Phaedrus. I was born in the covenant, descended from pioneer stock, served a mission, married in the temple, attended BYU where I earned two degrees, and stayed active until the age of 38. I have been partially active the past couple of years, but now I am done. The leadership of the Church crossed the line with this one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:23 pm 
Savior (resurrected)

Kishkumen wrote:
Phaedrus Utah wrote:
Kish,

That's right, Phaedrus. I was born in the covenant, descended from pioneer stock, served a mission, married in the temple, attended BYU where I earned two degrees, and stayed active until the age of 38. I have been partially active the past couple of years, but now I am done. The leadership of the Church crossed the line with this one.

Good luck, Phaedrus. Your name and your situation call to mind the very first and the very last lines of your eponymous dialogue:

Ὦ φίλε Φαῖδρε, ποῖ δὴ καὶ πόθεν;...

...ἴωμεν.

—B. Redd McConkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:01 pm 
God

Phaedrus Utah wrote:
consiglieri wrote:

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Very much the same Consig. The change for me is really just symbolic but it is important for my conscience. I'll still have my interests in biblical and Mormon subject matter and I imagine I'll continue my selective participation on these type of forums.

Cheers!

Phaedrus

So you must be all for the LDS violating the law and violating gay parents rights. :surprised:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:15 pm 
God

Wow a strawman and a false dichotomy all wrapped into a one liner.

Well done ccc.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin