It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Derail: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 17440
Jersey Girl wrote:
EAllusion wrote:
I think the best voting strategy at the moment is to vote in every Republican primary for the best possible Republican on the chance one exists in that race, then switch to voting Democrat to deny Republican majorities until the party gets its act together (which may be a very, very long time.)

I don't even understand what you said for that latter option. :eek: I'm politically challenged, remember?

Well. EAllusion is a post-modern Marxist. What that means in layman's terms is he's devoid of values, can lie without nary a pinprick to his conscience, will claim to be a Conservative or Libertarian or whatever is convenient in the moment when in reality he's an economic socialist and a 3rd Wave Feminist cuckold.

Basically he's telling you to lie to the Republicans by maintaining your party affiliation so you can vote in RINOs or Democrats in wolves clothing.

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:30 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
I don't even understand what you said for that latter option. :eek: I'm politically challenged, remember?

Well. EAllusion is a post-modern Marxist. What that means in layman's terms is he's devoid of values, can lie without nary a pinprick to his conscience, will claim to be a Conservative or Libertarian or whatever is convenient in the moment when in reality he's an economic socialist and a 3rd Wave Feminist cuckold.

Basically he's telling you to lie to the Republicans by maintaining your party affiliation so you can vote in RINOs or Democrats in wolves clothing.

- Doc

Well since you are explaining him, what do you make of the fact that he's arbitrarily manually editing both of our posts for language and no one else's in this forum, when there's already a word censor to do the job?

Boredom?

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 17440
edited: because sometimes telling the truth is cruel

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:08 am 
God

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am
Posts: 14840
Jersey Girl wrote:
Well since you are explaining him, what do you make of the fact that he's arbitrarily manually editing both of our posts for language and no one else's in this forum, when there's already a word censor to do the job?

Boredom?

That's not true. I've edited one post of yours for language. I've edited many others more frequently. I do so because that is a mod expectation regardless of filter. If you've seen posts that haven't been edited, that's because we do not catch everything. Doc's get edited a lot because he does not respect the forum rules.

Doc's post isn't "explaining" my views. He's either trolling or going on an alt-right style rant. Or perhaps he's testing the boundaries of what constitutes a blatant personal attack. Who knows? One tell is the he supports Bernie Sanders, a literal socialist, for president and is using socialist as an insult towards me, a economic conservative, who would regard socialism as anathema.

What I suggested to you is to improve the quality of Republican party (in the infinitesimally small way that voting does) by voting for Republican candidates who are of good quality in primaries, but then try to defeat them in general elections to prevent Republicans for having majority power until such time that the Republican party is no longer crazy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
EAllusion wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Well since you are explaining him, what do you make of the fact that he's arbitrarily manually editing both of our posts for language and no one else's in this forum, when there's already a word censor to do the job?

Boredom?

That's not true. I've edited one post of yours for language. I've edited many others more frequently. I do so because that is a mod expectation regardless of filter. If you've seen posts that haven't been edited, that's because we do not catch everything. Doc's get edited a lot because he does not respect the forum rules.

If that is the case, then I'd like you to please catch these posts in Terrestrial and edit them in the same way. I'm delivering them right to you, links included.

Mormonicious wrote:
Jesus, especially Mormon Bastard Jesus is a hindrance to goodness, righteousness and honesty.

I say [deleted] Jesus and the horse he/she rode in on and live your life free from guilt and religious judgement.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 6#p1112636

Mormonicious wrote:
Nightlion wrote:
Can't you just simply dismiss me without further argument? Are you so insecure as to have to harp on and on to bolster your sandy foundation?

When the poop hits the fierce wind please realize you are at the end of the line for any consideration from these parts.

[deleted] GOD and HIS STUPID USELESS [deleted] SON and THE HOLY TOASTER!!!! What a waist of a life to seek after the approval of such EVIL [deleted]!

Forget God, live happy

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 5#p1112805

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:26 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am
Posts: 14840
Jersey Girl wrote:
If that is the case, then I'd like you to please catch these posts in Terrestrial and edit them in the same way. I'm delivering them right to you, links included.

You are aware of the existence of the report function, correct?

Shades edits posts for language content roughly 5-10 times as often as I do. It's an explicit forum rule. Odd that nary a complaint about that towards him has come up.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
EAllusion wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
If that is the case, then I'd like you to please catch these posts in Terrestrial and edit them in the same way. I'm delivering them right to you, links included.


You are aware of the existence of the report function, correct?

Shades edits posts for language content roughly 5-10 times as often as I do. It's an explicit forum rule. Odd that nary a complaint about that towards him has come up.


Yes, I am aware of the report function.

1. I made a report on the thread on or around 18 February. The report was opened. No action taken.

2. With the understanding that when I make a report on a thread, mods are in no way obligated to actually read the thread I've reported on, I raised the issue with Shades's himself on 21 Feb.

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mormonicious wrote:
____ GOD and HIS STUPID USELESS ____ SON and THE HOLY TOASTER!!!! What a waist of a life to seek after the approval of such EVIL ____!

Forget God, live happy

Exiled wrote:
I think zombie Jesus likes people to eat his flesh and drink his blood, whether transubstantiation or symbolically.

That photo there is as offensive to me as temple content posted would be to LDS and yet there it sits, not-so-pretty as you please, totally untouched by moderators (who have regularly not only transferred posts but edited out highly offensive content) when it there is a forum here for precisely that type of thing.

Faqs got ____ to Prison partially on account of his hate speech and yet the above is left to stand in the main forum.

Dr. Shades wrote:
That's because Jesus isn't a registered user here.


3. When I questioned the purpose of you editing my posts for language that was already edited by the word censor, I brought the issue to your attention in this post. No answer.

EAllusion wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
EAllusion is that you editing my above post for language or is the word censor doing that. Either way, why was that edited? Explain please?


I deleted instances of the f-word and s-word per the forum rule that states:

Quote:
Do not use the "F" or "S" words or any of their many variants.


Quote:
I thought that's what we have the word censor for? In any case, thank you for answering and how about take a crack at this one. viewtopic.php?p=1112805#p1112805 Also the post that preceded it authored by the same poster.


viewtopic.php?p=1113704#p1113704

4. Which is why I raised the issue with you just now. That makes 4 attempts on my part.


I still don't understand why you are editing out language that is already edited out by the word censor. It makes no sense whatsoever to do such a thing. Those who have their word censor enabled are already protected from seeing the language, those who have their word censor disabled have already signed on for exposure to language, and those who are lurking non-registered cannot see the language since it's blanked out by the system.

So what is the purpose of you doing this to our posts?

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
EAllusion hopefully you can see why I found it strange that you were editing our posts for language when we already have a functional word censor that does that, particularly when I'd been raising the same issue for a 3 week period and got no real response.


If you want to manually edit content that's already edited by the system, a far more efficient way to do that is to use the search feature for the words in question. You'll get most of them using the search feature.

A search on the "F" word alone, brings up pages and pages of returns. Guess you better get busy, eh?

;-)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am
Posts: 14840
I wasn't the person who looked at that report. I did not see your reply to me. I do not read every post.

I addressed it recently before replying here after I saw it. As to why we edit language and not just let the default censor toggle work, that's a question for Shades. The rule explicitly states that S**** and its varients are not acceptable, and that's what the censor does. I am just enforcing the agreed upon rules. I believe the idea is that this is too close to just allowing the profanity and there is a desire to make the forums segregated by how much profanity you can expect to encounter when clicking.

You are complaining about me doing my agreed upon job of enforcing Shades' rules that Shades enforces much more frequently than I do without taking your issue directly to him. Either you don't understand the source of your issue or you are using it as a basis to rant about me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 17440
EAllusion wrote:
Either you don't understand the source of your issue or you are using it as a basis to rant about me.


Why do you edit already edited words?

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
EAllusion wrote:
I wasn't the person who looked at that report. I did not see your reply to me. I do not read every post.


I believe you.

Quote:
I addressed it recently before replying here after I saw it. As to why we edit language and not just let the default censor toggle work, that's a question for Shades. The rule explicitly states that S**** and its varients are not acceptable, and that's what the censor does. I am just enforcing the agreed upon rules. I believe the idea is that this is too close to just allowing the profanity and there is a desire to make the forums segregated by how much profanity you can expect to encounter when clicking.

No, EAllusion, here is what rule #3 for Terrestrial and Paradise actually says.

Do not use the "F" or "S" words or any of their many variants. Altering the spelling or substituting a symbol for a character does not give you a free pass to disregard this rule.


I appreciate that you did the work that I requested.

Quote:
You are complaining about me doing my agreed upon job of enforcing Shades' rules that Shades enforces much more frequently than I do without taking your issue directly to him. Either you don't understand the source of your issue or you are using it as a basis to rant about me.


I am not complaining about you doing your already agreed upon job of enforcing Shades's rules. I simply question why you are spending time editing words that are already edited out via the word censor. I understand perfectly that there is a functional word censor in place that does the work that you are duplicating. For what reason you are doing so, is anyone's guess.

I have not "ranted" about you in these posts. I've raised the issue of why it took me 4 attempts to get moderator action on a similiar issue in another thread, while you are duplicating work on my own posts (and Cam's for that matter) when the word censor already does it.

That's why I suggested boredom as a possible explanation.

Once again, if you are planning to do this duplicate work, then by all means. As I suggested, a more efficient and therefore equitable way to go about that is to use the search feature and search for the applicable words. You'll get tons of results that way, though maybe not every single little variant.

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am
Posts: 14840
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
EAllusion wrote:
Either you don't understand the source of your issue or you are using it as a basis to rant about me.


Why do you edit already edited words?

- Doc

Why does Shades request this and list it in the rules? That sounds like a good question for Shades.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:53 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm
Posts: 1641
EAllusion wrote:
Why does Shades request this and list it in the rules? That sounds like a good question for Shades.

Just admit that it is a weird tic associated with your social Marxism.

_________________
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
EAllusion wrote:
Why does Shades request this and list it in the rules? That sounds like a good question for Shades.


He's stated on the board in previous posts that he doesn't want us to mess with the spelling of those words in an attempt to circumvent the word censor.

For example, I didn't mess with the spelling so the word censor acts on the words. Then you come behind he word censor and edit them a second time?

That makes no sense unless you are truly bored out of your skull over there and want to engage in busy work for no good reason.

Are you getting bomb cycloned out there or something?

;-)

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
FYI a search on the "F" word brings up 33 pages of results. It would seem that you have your work cut out for you.

:lol:

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7617
Location: On walkabout
It seems to me that the rule as written is a little confusing. It first prohibits the use of certain words in certain forums, but then makes it against the rules to try and evade the word censor with respect to those words. Given that the person who posts the forbidden words has violated the rules, I really don’t see a basis for complaining about the difference between ______ and [deleted] as the means of addressing the violation. Has the difference actually detracted in some way from anyone’s reading and posting enjoyment? Or is this just start a fight over trivial crap week. :wink:

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 17440
Xenophon wrote:
EAllusion wrote:
Why does Shades request this and list it in the rules? That sounds like a good question for Shades.

Just admit that it is a weird tic associated with your social Marxism.


Maybe it stimulates his prostate gland while googling anwers in order to be The Smartest Guy AroundTM? Let me know if we're going to keep up the drive-by comments, Xenophon. I'll queue one up for you if you'd like. I can do this ____ all day!

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 29570
Location: Off the Deep End
Res Ipsa wrote:
It seems to me that the rule as written is a little confusing. It first prohibits the use of certain words in certain forums, but then makes it against the rules to try and evade the word censor with respect to those words. Given that the person who posts the forbidden words has violated the rules, I really don’t see a basis for complaining about the difference between ______ and [deleted] as the means of addressing the violation. Has the difference actually detracted in some way from anyone’s reading and posting enjoyment? Or is this just start a fight over trivial crap week. :wink:


Tell me you are joking.

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 pm
Posts: 1641
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Maybe it stimulates his prostate gland while googling anwers in order to be The Smartest Guy AroundTM? Let me know if we're going to keep up the drive-by comments, Xenophon. I'll queue one up for you if you'd like. I can do this ____ all day!

- Doc

I say do what makes ya happy, Doc. by the way you can make the trademark symbol by holding alt while typing 0153, ™

_________________
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 17440
Xenophon wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Maybe it stimulates his prostate gland while googling anwers in order to be The Smartest Guy AroundTM? Let me know if we're going to keep up the drive-by comments, Xenophon. I'll queue one up for you if you'd like. I can do this ____ all day!

- Doc

I say do what makes ya happy, Doc. by the way you can make the trademark symbol by holding alt while typing 0153, ™


I'm on a tablet right now, but I'll keep that in mind when I'm back on the desk top. So, that said, I'll try to cook up a nice zinger for you. It might take a while since you're nice, but be patient!

- Doc


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Voting--which would be the more powerful statement?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am
Posts: 14840
Jersey Girl wrote:
I am not complaining about you doing your already agreed upon job of enforcing Shades's rules. I simply question why you are spending time editing words that are already edited out via the word censor. I understand perfectly that there is a functional word censor in place that does the work that you are duplicating. For what reason you are doing so, is anyone's guess.

I have not "ranted" about you in these posts. I've raised the issue of why it took me 4 attempts to get moderator action on a similiar issue in another thread, while you are duplicating work on my own posts (and Cam's for that matter) when the word censor already does it.

You wrote a post implying that I'm selectively targeting you and Doc for inappropriate moderation because I got nothing better to do. That's quite plainly a complaint.

I'm just following the practice that Shades had been doing for some time and had originally asked me to do. The other option is splitting posts to their appropriate forum, but I usually don't do that if it is a matter of a few items of profanity rather than the total content of the posts.

Res Ipsa's point is what does it matter to you if your word is censored with a X_______ or a [deleted]? Why is this something to complain about in response to Doc going on about me like he thinks he's posting in the comments sections at Return of Kings? My best guess would be that the word censor can be toggled off, but hard-deleting the post can't be. That's a difference, but that also might be a difference Shades finds meaningful. The rule does say not to write the material in the first place. The secondary line is intended to communicate not to write a word that works as a swear proxy.

Shades seems to have been going for a form of soft-censorship that mirrors what you see in TV and film that allows people to self-select into what they find appropriate for themselves. It may be his intent to have things enforced in this manner to avoid too much implied profanity to maintain the forum "rating."

What gets me is that MPAA style censorship of language has odd biases. Doc keeps using the word "r____" over and over. For people in my field, that's just as bad as saying "n____." I suspect he knows this, but even in the general public it's become a significant curse word. It's worse that profanity we're supposed to actively censor. Go figure.

I'm enforcing the rules, not deciding them. If bothers you enough to carry a discussion on about it, Shades should be the person to direct your comments to.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group