The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I started to mention this twice in my posts and didn't want to insult you. Doing it anyway. I hope you know how to ID poison sumac/ivy/oak. It's very prevalent out there.

I'm betting that Doc has that covered, otherwise his posts would have more typos from having to work with swollen, itchy hands. :smile:

I think he probably does have it covered, but I felt compelled to say something just in case! And don't get me started on Jersey Bombers. I better shut it.

:mrgreen:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Thanks guys for the interest. I really like this thread and have felt compelled to share my personal struggles with weight and fitness. I know that through sharing we can motivate one another to not give up on the gift that is our body. I know when the day comes, whenever that is, where my body doesn't have any gas in the tank anymore, I want to look back on my time and think I used what the universe gave me.

Also, my kids have been motivated not just by this hike but my general outlook on things fitness related. My youngest just sent me a screen shot of her fitbit, and I was super proud of her taking up the mantle, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm headed back out in a bit. Anyone reading this thread I challenge you to challenge yourself TODAY. Do something physical even if you don't want to. Share it here. Motivate us! :)

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Doc, I'll just second everyone's general sentiment of you posting about this trip of yours. It is fascinating and I very much look forward to reading your posts about it.

I've made a couple of similar long hiking runs all along the Rockies with a few extra runs through Philmont, and your posts have me jonesing for that feeling again. Unfortunately my outdoor travels haven't ever taken me out to the Appalachians. If you have the frame of reference, how would you compare difficulties, scenery, extra-curriculars (climbing, sight-seeing, touristy crap) to what you might experience in New Mexico, Colorado or Wyoming/Idaho. I've got another trip to Yellowstone planned(haven't been since I was very young) in the not to distant future and I'm wondering if I need to rethink destinations.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Thanks guys for the interest. I really like this thread and have felt compelled to share my personal struggles with weight and fitness. I know that through sharing we can motivate one another to not give up on the gift that is our body. I know when the day comes, whenever that is, where my body doesn't have any gas in the tank anymore, I want to look back on my time and think I used what the universe gave me.

Also, my kids have been motivated not just by this hike but my general outlook on things fitness related. My youngest just sent me a screen shot of her fitbit, and I was super proud of her taking up the mantle, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm headed back out in a bit. Anyone reading this thread I challenge you to challenge yourself TODAY. Do something physical even if you don't want to. Share it here. Motivate us! :)

- Doc

This is my favorite thread on the entire board. I like that not many people visit here so it doesn't get a bunch of back and forth like other discussions, and I like what it turned in to. I originally thought it might draw in a certain poster, but it did not. Instead it developed into a kind of self help/self improvement thread and took on a life of it's own. The folks who have posted here have shared their successes and also their "slumps". The days when I was in a low periods of motivation, I would read your posts or the posts of others and start to feel jazzed again.

So motivation (getting it, giving it--encouragement) is probably the whole point of the thread now and your posts from the trail are inspiring!

So physical stuff I'm doing. Mainly working gardens and yard right now...at home and also a church garden with raised beds where we will give our first fruits harvest (tithing) to the food pantry. It's a really cool set up and we've got a young child working with us who has been gardening with me for about 3 years now. So...gardening and service to others.

I've been moving wood and bricks on the property, hauling bags of dirt around. Picking up the dreaded slash trying to get the jump on that work this year because one of us has physical limitations and it looks like I'm up at bat for it. :eek:

I think I'm building a sand area for play as well. It's part of a "bigger picture" to add on more outdoor interest areas for a young child. I might be helping on a small farm around here that's open to children for summer day camps. Not sure about it yet. Went over to do a consult with the farmer lady who wanted me to do some advising, she was sick and hasn't rescheduled yet.

I think that counts for something! ;-) Swimming starts next week. I'll be doing trails around here and treadmills, whatever I find to do. I can't do the same thing over and over again. The monotony of regimentation and too much structure/repetition basically kill me and my attitude. So I change things up and count anything and everything I do that's physical as keeping and getting in better shape.

I never expected you to post from out on the trail but I'm so happy that you have! I like reading about what you see, your observations, and your impressions of it all. I have never spent extended periods in the natural world without learning something about myself.

Question: Are the folks on the trail really practicing Leave No Trace (I'm trained for that and have taught it) or are they out there crapping up the trail? :evil:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I would so be singing this on the trail. And, it wouldn't be the first time either. :lol:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From the California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
And saw below me that golden valley

I roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me , a voice was sounding

When the sun comes shining, then I was strolling
In the wheat fields waving and dust clouds rolling
The voice was chanting as the fog was lifting

This land is your land and this land is my land
From the California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest, to the gulf stream waters

When the sun comes shining, then I was strolling
In wheat fields waving and dust clouds rolling
The voice come chanting as the fog was lifting

Songwriters: WOODY GUTHRIE
© T.R.O. INC.
For non-commercial use only.
Data From: LyricFind

And just because you're headed to Jersey...enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE4H0k8TDgw
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Xenophon wrote: If you have the frame of reference, how would you compare difficulties, scenery, extra-curriculars (climbing, sight-seeing, touristy crap) to what you might experience in New Mexico, Colorado or Wyoming/Idaho. I've got another trip to Yellowstone planned(haven't been since I was very young) in the not to distant future and I'm wondering if I need to rethink destinations.

Hi Xenophon,

Well, I grew up in Spokane and did a fair bit of hiking with the Boy Scouts all over the Pacific Northwest, and of course I've hiked all over the Wasatch range because I've been bored. Truth be told all trails are difficult in their own way, especially if your hike is one that includes switchbacks and big elevation changes, The only difference I can state for sure is the AT has waaaaaaay more rocks, which makes sense since the sadists who put this thing together are obsessed with ridgelines. For example:

that is what 90% of the trail is. Any idyllic pics we post for friends and family

are an anomaly. Your feet really do feel it at the end of the day. Right now we're averaging ~1.5 miles an hour, but we'll probably be up to 2.5 within a few weeks once we have our trail legs. The biggest difference for your frame of reference is just the sheer grind of being on a hiking trip that spans weeks to months. That's one of the reasons why we're approaching it the way we are this time around. We did 11.5 trail miles yesterday, but stayed in a hotel again to avoid a storm. That said we're heading into a 4-day stretch where we'll be on the trail. We're trying to get into a hotel or hostel every 3-5 days for rest and recovery.

I love that you're an outdoorsmen and you're hearing the call. If you do head out I hope you share on this thread. It'll be motivating to me to know another board member is doing a hike and embracing the challenge.

- Doc

eta - I should not for anyone that's interested there's a pretty big difference between trail miles and what you end up hiking. For example, say you're hiking ten miles to your next destination you can safely tack on another 2-5 miles of distance walked for the day. Shelters are typically .1-.4 miles off the main trail. So, that's another .2 to .8 round trip. Water points are usually .2-.4 so that's another .4-.8 for water. You have to walk into town or a re-supply point if you can't hitch a ride and that's anywhere from .5 to 4 miles round trip. And then of course when you're in town you have to walk to your eatery, laundry, or whatever and it just keeps adding up.

The upside is I'm trimming up quick. In just 11 days my outfit, which I was filling out not in a good way is hanging normally on me. It's really uplifting to feel my weight start to get back to manageable levels. Makes it all worth it, To be honest.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doc, those are great pics. Thank you for posting those along with your updates and trail information!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I can see what you were talking about regarding the trail surface. But still, isn't it beautiful? Thanks for sharing the photos. I love seeing them. Stay safe!
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:Doc, those are great pics. Thank you for posting those along with your updates and trail information!

Ditto.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

So, we cut today's hike short due to heavy rains (though we still did 11 miles in the downpour like idiots; we finally called an Uber and got to a hotel) and will be taking our second 'zero' day tomorrow for foot recovery.

Lots of this happening over the past week on the trail:

Also, we discovered hiking in the rain, or the day or two after heavy rains, is an awful experience because mud. Mud fo' days. Anyway. Here are some rando pics to get a feel for the hike (see if you can spot the danger noodle):

- Doc