It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 pm 
God

Black Moclips wrote:
I know I wasn't in your original competition, but thought I'd give some results I've had. Since early February, I've lost 17 pounds of fat and added 2 lbs of muscle (weighed in at 290, now down to 275). That sounds huge but to look at me, you wouldn't think me over 240. I'm made of lead or something like that.

Anyway, what's done it for me is changing my eating (smaller meals more often - good lean proteins or shakes coupled with healthy carbs) and exercise. I joined this cross fit type of gym that literally kicks my ass every day. Its kickboxing, kettle bells, TRX bands, cardio, you name it, something different everyday. I wear one of those MyZone heart rate monitors and it measures your heartrate, effort, calories lost, etc when you work out. In these works, for a guy my size, I'm losing anywhere from 750-900 calories. I literally collapse at the end and just lay in my puddle of sweat. Its funny because people walk by and ask if I'm okay. Starting this was hell, but after a few months, while my body still hurts, its getting stronger and leaner.

I weigh in with a nutrition guy weekly who actually pinches the fat with calipers and everything. Knowing I have to face someone helps with motivation!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else. Its a tough thing to conquer.

Hey Black Mo!

This isn't a competition. It's more like a support group for strugglers trying to help each other keep on track. :lol: Congrats on your gains and losses!! Where'd you get your MyZone heart rate monitor?? How does it function? Cost?

Are those protein shakes you're drinking? Whey or what?

I am not allowed to elevate my heartrate possibly until after a doc appointment on Monday. I had a thing happen that involved my first ever ambulance transport. :surprised: So I have to wait for the green light. I'm still holding at 8 pounds lost. Originally 10, gained back 2. I feel great and can't wait to get back to my regular stuff again!

Thanks for joining in and sharing your success and methods!!

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:45 pm 
Stake High Council

Jersey Girl wrote:
Black Moclips wrote:
I know I wasn't in your original competition, but thought I'd give some results I've had. Since early February, I've lost 17 pounds of fat and added 2 lbs of muscle (weighed in at 290, now down to 275). That sounds huge but to look at me, you wouldn't think me over 240. I'm made of lead or something like that.

Anyway, what's done it for me is changing my eating (smaller meals more often - good lean proteins or shakes coupled with healthy carbs) and exercise. I joined this cross fit type of gym that literally kicks my ass every day. Its kickboxing, kettle bells, TRX bands, cardio, you name it, something different everyday. I wear one of those MyZone heart rate monitors and it measures your heartrate, effort, calories lost, etc when you work out. In these works, for a guy my size, I'm losing anywhere from 750-900 calories. I literally collapse at the end and just lay in my puddle of sweat. Its funny because people walk by and ask if I'm okay. Starting this was hell, but after a few months, while my body still hurts, its getting stronger and leaner.

I weigh in with a nutrition guy weekly who actually pinches the fat with calipers and everything. Knowing I have to face someone helps with motivation!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else. Its a tough thing to conquer.

Hey Black Mo!

This isn't a competition. It's more like a support group for strugglers trying to help each other keep on track. :lol: Congrats on your gains and losses!! Where'd you get your MyZone heart rate monitor?? How does it function? Cost?

Are those protein shakes you're drinking? Whey or what?

I am not allowed to elevate my heartrate possibly until after a doc appointment on Monday. I had a thing happen that involved my first ever ambulance transport. :surprised: So I have to wait for the green light. I'm still holding at 8 pounds lost. Originally 10, gained back 2. I feel great and can't wait to get back to my regular stuff again!

Thanks for joining in and sharing your success and methods!!

Congrats on your success so far! I know in general, its seems harder for the women I know (as they get older) to consistently lose. My wife is late 40's, post breast cancer, and its a struggle for her, even though she eats relatively well and exercises. She was always rail thin all her life, but gained as she got older. Something about those hormones! (and I wasn't calling you older either!).

I got the MyZone from the gym I go to, but I think its available in general other places. Its a red strap that is sort of bungy that goes around your chest (like just below your pecks). There is an oval/egg shapped unit that snaps on right to the front. It transmits to TV's in the gym so during the class, where you can see a square with your nickname on it and know how you are doing (Red - supper intense effort, high heart rate, etc. yellow, green, blue, gray on down). Its nice to have some sort of relative measure of effort to push yourself. Plus when you see everyone else in yellow and you are in blue, you are like "I need to kick it up a notch!. It also transfers the data to an app on your phone and emails your results after every work out. You can also start it manually (if not at a gym) and it will track your metrics.

The protein powder i use is a high quality whey protein called MaxPro. One scoop mixed with water is 137 calories, 29g of protein, and only 2 carbs. I was drinking prepackaged shakes from the grocery store (like CorePower) that tasted YUM, but the reason they tasted so good was that they were packed with sugar. The outside of the package of what im using now says:

Advanced Formula Featuing BCAAs, Micellar Casein an cold filtered whey isolate
Promotes muscle growth, strength, and recovery
Amplifies mTOR signaling activation for muscle protein synthesis
Gluten free!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm 
God

Thanks for the info on the protein shake! From the sound of your description of the MyZone, I'd almost bet my gym has that since it has all kinds of other "bells and whistles". When I get the green light to go back to the gym, I'll see about that.

You know what, losing the weight that I already have really wasn't that hard. I basically eat a heart healthy diet (I cheat) and all I really need to do is cardio and the weight comes off. I never even break a sweat. So long as I eat reasonably well and exercise, that does it for me. Exercise is what tips the scales in my favor. Pun intended. ;-)

Doc said 20 pounds so I have about half of that already done. I figure I can whip through the rest over summer and then I maintain. I don't count calories or anything. I try to stick with reasonable portion sizes and like I said, heart healthy choices.

My best advice to anyone (if they can do it) is eat reasonably well, stay away from pasta, bread, sugars--you know the drill, let yourself cheat and get back on the horse.

And keep moving. I press on!

I'm happy you joined in here! I can't tell you how many times just reading about someone else's fitness journey here has inspired me to keep at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:43 pm 
God

Doc's answer about going back to the gym!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 pm 
God

OmG. Stop everything!

I found my winter workout!!! Heck yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kH0_ackfA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Is anyone still on track? My weight is still at the 2 extra pounds I gained back and holding there. Still eating decently. I've been totally sidelined for a total of 3 weeks due to a medical emergency and treatment I had in the process. Hoping to get the green light in another 2 weeks after a doc appointment!

I've been swimming, gardening, working in some yoga and that's really about it for now.

I had to read back to see where I was at when I last reported in. So I was at 127 lbs, just diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia, put on meds and had gotten the green light to exercise.

Suffice it to say everything about my fitness goals went to hell and back again this summer. I don't think I went back to the gym except for swimming a couple of times. I can't recall now. My weight went up to 130 (I ate my feelings) I had another episode of the arrhythmia that I kicked out on my own. Yay me!

My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again. Just walking the drive way, only a half a mile, but it took a lot of courage to do that because previously I'd been too chicken to do it on account of the heart thing even though the doc said I was good to go. Knowing that your heart can unexpectedly go out of rhythm is a head trip. It took about 2 months I guess for me to finally get to the point where I said "This is bs I need to break free." And I did. :-)

So...back in action and I have to live with a new normal on account of one of the meds I was given that won't let my heart rate go over 100 but I figure the ability to raise my heart rate is good even though it's not as high as I would like, it's still good cardio. I'm happy that cardio (even though it seemed scary at first) is actually the best thing I can do for the condition I have. Makes me feel so much better and so much more in control.

I'm leaving on a trip soon, my running shoes are going. I'm headed into a situation where most people aren't exercising, so I'll have to break free once again. I'm also bringing some of my own non-perishable food. It'll be a little test but I'm good with it and I have a Vegan who will think it's cool.

Breaking free is awesome!
:-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again.

Congratulations! Keep going!

You're doing better than I am at the moment. I was pretty militant about my eating for the last few months and lost about 10 lbs (ideally I should lose another 5 assuming that I'm merely trying to get to a very low fat percentage) but have since rebelled and been on an eating binge of sorts lately. Now, back up another 5 pounds since that low point. But here's what's weird... gaining weight isn't 'enjoyable', or at least not the munching that leads to it. After all of those months of careful eating, porking out with a fat plate of goodies just doesn't feel physically satisfying. I'm hoping that I'm at the point where disgust from overeating keeps me permanently on the lower side of my usual weight range.

We'll see... the holidays are coming up...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again.

Congratulations! Keep going!

You're doing better than I am at the moment. I was pretty militant about my eating for the last few months and lost about 10 lbs (ideally I should lose another 5 assuming that I'm merely trying to get to a very low fat percentage) but have since rebelled and been on an eating binge of sorts lately. Now, back up another 5 pounds since that low point. But here's what's weird... gaining weight isn't 'enjoyable', or at least not the munching that leads to it. After all of those months of careful eating, porking out with a fat plate of goodies just doesn't feel physically satisfying. I'm hoping that I'm at the point where disgust from overeating keeps me permanently on the lower side of my usual weight range.

We'll see... the holidays are coming up...

You've done so well, canpakes! I bet you can move that 5 pounds if you are intentional about it. It's when I lose all intentionality that I mess up royally.

Disgusting yourself is a very useful tool! :lol: Watching your hard work go down the drain...ugh!

Weighed at 126 this morning. Omg...there is hope. :lol:

One good thing about this arrhythmia thing is that over eating is legit a trigger. So...if I don't want that to happen to me, I need to eat smaller portions. Win:Win.

I'm hopeful I can do this!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm 
God

Now hear this!! I must've been at the rock bottom of the 126 when I weighed in on the 16th. I weighed in this morning at...drum roll...

125!!!!!

Yeah I killed off that one last pound so back to the 10 pound total loss!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 am 
God

Wonhyo's Green Tea recommend:

https://www.itoen.com/ready-to-drink/oi-ocha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm 
God

Okay here's the deal. Just came off a trip, gained back just one pound, at 126 so I'm good with that.

I've been poking around online about heart healthy diets and about blew myself away when I realized how close I am to the Mediterranean Diet so I'm going all the way with it. I need to increase fish and servings of fruits and vegetables, and I'm pretty much there. It's got everything I like and a couple of things I haven't even thought of like using extra virgin olive oil as a dipping sauce for whole grain breads. I'd mainly cut out bread because I've become tired of it, but dipped in olive oil? Didn't even cross my mind even though I've had it and loved it in restaurants.

From Mayo Clinic:

Putting it all together

The Mediterranean diet is a delicious and healthy way to eat. Many people who switch to this style of eating say they'll never eat any other way. Here are some specific steps to get you started:

Eat your veggies and fruits — and switch to whole grains. An abundance and variety of plant foods should make up the majority of your meals. Strive for seven to 10 servings a day of veggies and fruits. Switch to whole-grain bread and cereal, and begin to eat more whole-gain rice and pasta products.

Go nuts. Keep almonds, cashews, pistachios and walnuts on hand for a quick snack. Choose natural peanut butter, rather than the kind with hydrogenated fat added. Try tahini (blended sesame seeds) as a dip or spread for bread.

Pass on the butter. Try olive or canola oil as a healthy replacement for butter or margarine. Use it in cooking. Dip bread in flavored olive oil or lightly spread it on whole-grain bread for a tasty alternative to butter. Or try tahini as a dip or spread.

Spice it up. Herbs and spices make food tasty and are also rich in health-promoting substances. Season your meals with herbs and spices rather than salt.

Go fish. Eat fish once or twice a week. Fresh or water-packed tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel and herring are healthy choices. Grilled fish tastes good and requires little cleanup. Avoid fried fish, unless it's sauteed in a small amount of canola oil.

Rein in the red meat. Substitute fish and poultry for red meat. When eaten, make sure it's lean and keep portions small (about the size of a deck of cards). Also avoid sausage, bacon and other high-fat meats.

Choose low-fat dairy. Limit higher fat dairy products such as whole or 2 percent milk, cheese and ice cream. Switch to skim milk, fat-free yogurt and low-fat cheese.

Raise a glass to healthy eating. If it's OK with your doctor, have a glass of wine at dinner. If you don't drink alcohol, you don't need to start. Drinking purple grape juice may be an alternative to wine.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... 47801?pg=2

Dang, I love this whole thing and the above gives simple guidelines. I pretty much eat clean, I've already switched to canola and olive oil. I eat nuts every day, I eat legumes, love Quinoa don't eat it enough, love beans instead of meat, I eat basically everything it offers only I need to increase portions and it cuts out nearly everything I dislike these days. Like ditch the red meat except for maybe twice a month if I want it and I hardly ever do. So yeah, this is totally do-able for me.

I also spent time with a raw Vegan on my trip and loved everything she ate including the raw Vegan restaurant we visited so that's great inspiration! I'm excited!

Hope everyone is still hanging in there with their health and fitness goals! Holidays are right around the corner so good luck, people!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:44 pm 
God

What herbs should I put in the olive oil for dipping? Anyone know? Basil?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 pm 
God

First Attempt at a transition to Mediterranean (I realized I've done this before) Diet.

Bag of Caesar Salad (dressing, grated parmesan, bread crumbs and seasoning inside bag)

I donated the bread crumbs and seasoning to a family member. ;-)

Unleashed the salad, put in the cheese, dressing, added red beans, sunflower seeds and tomatoes.

Loved. It.

It's a start!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:25 pm 
God

Previously, I said this:

Quote:
My weight is now at 127 again, still 2 extra pounds from the initial weight loss and I started exercising again. Just walking the drive way, only a half a mile, but it took a lot of courage to do that because previously I'd been too chicken to do it on account of the heart thing even though the doc said I was good to go. Knowing that your heart can unexpectedly go out of rhythm is a head trip. It took about 2 months I guess for me to finally get to the point where I said "This is bs I need to break free." And I did. :-)

I went a step further in breaking free today. Really, it was a huge leap for me. I'd been trying to remain active and had walked the driveway some here and there. Today I decided to punch fear right in the face and...

I went back on the treadmill at the gym.

I was planning to just do 10 minutes of actual cardio, but I did 25. I did my NORMAL work out (from 4-5 months ago?--warm up, cardio, cool down) except I didn't use the incline. My hear rate wouldn't go above 87/88 bpm (that's why I previously used the incline), but otherwise, I did my normal work out and felt GREAT the entire time.

I'm currently on a holter monitor study for a month because I went in to report side effects of the beta blocker. We'll just see how the cardio shows up on that.

Lord, today was a major league victory for me!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm 
God

Congrats, and keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:31 pm 
God

The CCC wrote:
Congrats, and keep up the good work.

Thank you so much, C's. I'm not, by nature, a big fat cry baby about things but this heart rhythm condition has a tendency to make me nuts and when it does, I try to hit back at it. I intentionally made myself get on a plane alone early last month to prove to myself that I can be okay. The treadmill thing has been up in the air for a good 4 months, if not 5, always feeling like it was hanging over my head.

So I got off my butt, got in the car, and made myself get on it yesterday. I'm super good at supporting others but when it comes to me, I suck at it.

More than once, I have thought of your example as I've been working my way through this. You are a source of inspiration for me. "If C's can keep going, so can I." :-)

My sincere thanks, C's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am 
God

124!!!

Take that little scale!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm 
God

Keep it up! Way to go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
124!!!

Take that little scale!

Ha! I’m up 5 from last post, because it’s Pumpkin Bread Season, and we have perfected the ultimate recipe. So much ‘testing’ needs to be done to ensure ongoing consistency. So, soooo much testing.

And now we are doing a test on a spatchcocked turkey ahead of next week’s festivities. It’s in the fridge now getting a day to rest and soak up the herbs before oven time tomorrow.

Any minute now I’m going to snap and start cutting a calorie here and there. Can’t grow out of anything ‘cuz I ain’t buyin’ new clothes. : D

Congratulations on your diminishing poundage! I’ll be over here for a while longer stuffing holiday food in my mouth before I tire of my self-indulgent streak and join back up with you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
Keep it up! Way to go!

Thanks! Imma workin' on it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
124!!!

Take that little scale!

Ha! I’m up 5 from last post, because it’s Pumpkin Bread Season, and we have perfected the ultimate recipe. So much ‘testing’ needs to be done to ensure ongoing consistency. So, soooo much testing.

And now we are doing a test on a spatchcocked turkey ahead of next week’s festivities. It’s in the fridge now getting a day to rest and soak up the herbs before oven time tomorrow.

Any minute now I’m going to snap and start cutting a calorie here and there. Can’t grow out of anything ‘cuz I ain’t buyin’ new clothes. : D

Congratulations on your diminishing poundage! I’ll be over here for a while longer stuffing holiday food in my mouth before I tire of my self-indulgent streak and join back up with you.

Ack!!! I envy you!! I actually weighed in at 123-something the other day but it was too close to 124 to "call it". Still, it was nice to see that morning!

It's that time of year again, canpakes! Ya just gotta do whatever it is ya gotta do right now, and hope for the best!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next