ZLMB Cause of Death

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I remember David Waltz was a moderator, and so was Brent Metcalfe. I am pretty sure the team included Jan Anderson, Paul Hadik, Cal Robinson and Roger Cook.

All of the above were at one time, frequent participants on the forum. When their participation died off after the TBMs fled, there went the dream team of moderators. Interest died. Even Scott Pierson, the owner of the forum, began to distance himself from it. I think it had to do with the fact that within a month, ZLMB went from an elite forum with the best debates available anywhere, to just a mediocre forum. The contrast was too painful for regular participants to handle so the tendency was to just leave it alone.

When the ZLMB talking heads stopped posting, that sent a message out to everyone as well. If the owner and the mods don't find the place worth using anymore, then why should anyone else?

And by the way, ZLMB still boasts the very best debates available on the web. If you scroll through their archives, it is an absolute treasure trove that I doubt FAIR/MAD could ever surpass.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: ZLMB Cause of Death

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Jersey Girl wrote:To what do you attribute as causes for the "mass exodus" to FAIR?

ZLMB was a great bb in its heyday. I attribute its demise (at least in part) to when the Mods started limiting folks to 5 posts a day. It was mostly intended to slow down guys like me (even there, DCP and his ilk got special protection from the Mods), but it turned out to also slow down many TBM's. I remember Scott Lloyd (very TBM poster) complaining about his being limited to 5 posts per day. And, slowly but surely, folks started leaving ZLMB and heading over to FAIR (I eventually did as well, in December 2004 or so). Censorship (including limiting how much one can say) always causes folks to lose interest, and that's exactly what happened to ZLMB, and what has/will happen to FAIR/MAD, in my opinion.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

harmony wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
harmony wrote:The Main Street Plaza thread went on for some 50+ pages. It was huge.

What in the world was that about?

Church financials, closed books, buying public property and converting it to private use, freedom of speech, SLC politics. Every time it would die down, someone would file another motion or Rocky would do something stupid, and it would start up again.

It would interesting to see who posted the most on that thread.. My money would be on Scott.