Mormon Discussions
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/

William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9005
Page 4 of 15

Author:  cksalmon [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

RockSlider wrote:
Mr. Schryver;

Thanks for the link, Good read.

For the record (based on the read), I've been calling you Mr. Schryver because you have chosen to modify my moniker to something derogatory, and I desired to address you as respectfully as I can. Bill might be too personal for you, how about William in the future?

Apparently the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde remains consistent even in a thread that your enemies point out as an example. For a comparison, take Mr. Pedersen's postings ... you can clearly see this is the same author in both boards. He treats opponents the same in both places. His manner of speech is the same. You on the other hand ... well your posting speaks for itself.

If you had the balls to be a "Golden Kimball" type, I would admire that trait, but I have less respect for the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde traits than I would for your soft core vulgarity used ... only on this site.

As for the argument at hand in the thread, seems to this outsider you got caught with your pants down.


Through no fault of your own, RS, you've unfortunately encouraged William Schryver to renewed discussion of his favorite topic: William Schryver. This, his personal "bad penny" fetish, is well-known to interested readers.

My very unsolicited advice would be not to encourage his predilection to luxuriate in all things Schryver.

cks

Author:  RockSlider [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

cksalmon wrote:
...


sounds like solid advice

Author:  beastie [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Quote:
Through no fault of your own, RS, you've unfortunately encouraged William Schryver to renewed discussion of his favorite topic: William Schryver. This, his personal "bad penny" fetish, is well-known to interested readers.

My very unsolicited advice would be not to encourage his predilection to luxuriate in all things Schryver.


I've never seen a more apt or concise summary.

Author:  William Schryver [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Backslider:
Quote:
If you had the balls to be a "Golden Kimball" type, I would admire that trait, but I have less respect for the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde traits than I would for your soft core vulgarity used ... only on this site.

Yes, well I’m still waiting for examples of this “soft core vulgarity” of which I am accused. Please feel free to cite these examples at your earliest convenience.

Quote:
As for the argument at hand in the thread, seems to this outsider you got caught with your pants down.

Consider me not surprised that this is your conclusion. It has become abundantly clear where your allegiances lie, and established allegiance is what it’s all about when it comes to assessing the outcome of any debate on LDS-related message boards.
.
.
.
Chrissie Kellie Salmon:
Quote:
… his personal "bad penny" fetish, is well-known to interested readers.

And always of especial interest to you, I’ve noticed.
.
.
.
beastlie:
Quote:
I've never seen a more apt or concise summary.

As she assumes her appointed place in the circle …

Author:  moksha [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

So Will, what is up with all the provocative language? It is just a means of cathartic release?

Author:  William Schryver [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

moksha wrote:
So Will, what is up with all the provocative language? It is just a means of cathartic release?

???

Please specify. I was not aware of having employed any "provocative language."

Author:  moksha [ Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

William Schryver wrote:
moksha wrote:
So Will, what is up with all the provocative language? It is just a means of cathartic release?

???

Please specify. I was not aware of having employed any "provocative language."


Page one was many posts ago, but what Pokatator quoted certainly seems provocative. So was it a form of cathartic release?

Author:  Perfume on my Mind [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

cksalmon wrote:
Through no fault of your own, RS, you've unfortunately encouraged William Schryver to renewed discussion of his favorite topic: William Schryver. This, his personal "bad penny" fetish, is well-known to interested readers.

My very unsolicited advice would be not to encourage his predilection to luxuriate in all things Schryver.

cks

Well, this is mostly correct, except that I would say Will doesn't really want to talk about himself (I imagine that would be pretty painful for him); he wants to talk about what he wants us (and himself) to believe about himself.

I'm not sure Will has been sincere about a single thing he's written about himself... well, ever. Not on this board, anyway.

Author:  StructureCop [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

This thread cracks me up.

Author:  William Schryver [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

moksha:
Quote:
Page one was many posts ago, but what Pokatator quoted certainly seems provocative. So was it a form of cathartic release?

As you can see above, I have recently reviewed the Pig-in-a-Pokatator's initial post, and I extracted from it the five items I consider most representative of the "crimes" with which I am accused.

It has been said, quite repeatedly in fact, that I have spouted "vulgarities" and what not. Now you have come along and claim that what I have written is "provocative." In all of this, no one has ever actually pointed to something specific I have said/written and singled it out for condemnation.

I have asked, over and over and over again, for examples of my "excesses," but no one will accommodate me. I asked you also to specify what things you found "provocative" (I assume you have used that term in a somewhat pejorative fashion, but I'm not certain). But you have declined, just like everybody else, merely pointing to the first post and casually saying, in effect, "You know ... that stuff." Well, no, I don't know what you're talking about. If there is something I have written that you find particularly offensive in some fashion, please--let's talk about it. Either you can make me see where I have "gone over the line" or I can make you see where you have misinterpreted something. Or, perhaps, you will find that there really wasn't anything of substance to condemn in the first place.

Author:  William Schryver [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Some Schmo wrote:
cksalmon wrote:
Through no fault of your own, RS, you've unfortunately encouraged William Schryver to renewed discussion of his favorite topic: William Schryver. This, his personal "bad penny" fetish, is well-known to interested readers.

My very unsolicited advice would be not to encourage his predilection to luxuriate in all things Schryver.

cks

Well, this is mostly correct, except that I would say Will doesn't really want to talk about himself (I imagine that would be pretty painful for him); he wants to talk about what he wants us (and himself) to believe about himself.

I'm not sure Will has been sincere about a single thing he's written about himself... well, ever. Not on this board, anyway.

Mmmmmmm ... how intriguing.

Just what do you imagine the truth to be?

Maybe I'm just a sockpuppet for Mr. Scratch, huh?

Author:  Dan Vogel [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Ray A wrote:
William Schryver wrote:
Hee, hee, hee. Yeah, except that the citation WAS in error, and Dan admitted it. But keep at your myth-building. Eventually, it might take.


I didn't see anywhere on the thread where Vogel admitted it was an error, but maybe I missed it.

Your concluding post (for which the mods re-opened the thread) ended with:

William Schryver wrote:
This thread has obviously run its course. Neither side is persuaded – again. No surprise there. I will be checking on the status and actual location of Ms d 3408 fd 4 later this week and will report it in the KEP thread in the Pundits forum.


Did you check, and did Vogel later concede an error in Pundits?


Believing himself an expert in all things Abraham, Will began our discussion at FAIR by claiming he didn't know of such a document and therefore no such document existed. We were discussion a sheet of paper in Oliver Cowdery's hand containing characters from the Book of Mormon, which I incorrectly believed was among the KEP. My impression that it was with the KEP came from the fact that it was included on a microfilm of the KEP, which the Tanners and Mike Marquardt published in the 1970s. I admitted that I was wrong about the location, but Will never admitted he was wrong about denying the existence of the Cowdery document.

Author:  RockSlider [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Dan Vogel wrote:
I admitted that I was wrong about the location, but Will never admitted he was wrong about denying the existence of the Cowdery document.


hehe ... well look whos lurking

yes, to someone with no vested interest one way or the other (I don't know either party or have any real interest in the topic at hand) this is where William got caught with his pants down. Someone noted that the thread was locked/unlocked for William to get in a last word ... now I have no idea if this is true, but it did strike me funny that he had the last posts.

Author:  William Schryver [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

“Mr.” Vogel:
Quote:
Believing himself an expert in all things Abraham …

Oh, yes. I’ve claimed that so often in the past, haven’t I?

Truth be told, I only currently claim to be an expert on a handful of items related to the KEP: the interlinear insertion at Abr. 1:12 and the “Haran” dittograph being among that handful. I hope you’ll read with interest my forthcoming offerings on those two topics.

by the way, nice to see you’re still around and apparently apprising yourself, quite regularly, of the goings on in The Great and Spacious Trailer Park™. One might have thought you had completely freed yourself from the bad habit that following these threads represents, but I guess you’ve simply chosen to observe in silence—assuming you’re not using some clever sockpuppet, of course. :wink:

In any case, you write:
Quote:
Will began our discussion at FAIR by claiming he didn't know of such a document and therefore no such document existed.

Not entirely accurate, as you well know. I began the conversation claiming I didn’t know of any such document in the location you specified.

Quote:
I admitted that I was wrong about the location, but Will never admitted he was wrong about denying the existence of the Cowdery document.

Alas, it was your mistake on both counts. Not only did you specify an incorrect location for the document, but you incorrectly interpreted my coyness in the opening posts—I suspsect quite intentionally, as a matter of fact. Once your error was made certain, claiming I was ignorant about the document’s existence was the only “face-saving” measure available to you. And, surrounded by many of your closest friends and admirers, your ploy had all the appearance of being well-received at the time.

All the same, good to hear from you again. It has been a while, hasn’t it? I hope all your projects are going well.
.
.
.
Backslider:
Quote:
hehe ... well look whos lurking

yes, to someone with no vested interest one way or the other (I don't know either party or have any real interest in the topic at hand) this is where William got caught with his pants down. Someone noted that the thread was locked/unlocked for William to get in a last word ... now I have no idea if this is true, but it did strick me funny that he had the last posts.

Hehe, indeed.

You know, backslider, you’re going to fit in rather nicely here. You have learned, almost by instinct it would seem, how to chime in with the casual “golf clap” of approval at all the appropriate times. That is a sign of an accomplished GSTP™ circle-jerker. So, congratulations on finding this new home. You seem quite comfortable with the surroundings. (In fact, you have settled in almost too comfortably already—as though you have a long familiarity with it.) Be that as it may, I trust that you will have a long and fruitful experience here in the Trailer Park, where birds of a feather … well, you know how it works, don’t you?

Author:  Doctor CamNC4Me [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

William Schryver wrote:
Be that as it may, I trust that you will have a long and fruitful experience here in the Trailer Park, where birds of a feather … well, you know how it works, don’t you?


Sir,

Are you referencing the Mormon Apologetics and Discussion Board? Because it is clearly a "bird sanctuary" if I have ever seen one.

Very Respectfully,

Doctor CamNC4Me

Author:  RockSlider [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
...


No Doc, I'm afraid he is talking about here. In registering at mad yesterday and reading their posting rules, I do not believe there is anything I've posted here that I could have posted there with out deletions or a flat out ban.

I have no problem being associated with a free flying flock who's thoughts/writings are not censored with tools ranging from guilt to force by threat of excommunication (see Pedersen letter notes).

In my limited study of Christ, it's my take he personally would be residing in GSTP and would express a bit of disdain against the High and mighty educated rabbi's living in the luxury neighborhoods.

It also seems my limited study of the Book of Mormon could summarize everything down to one sin which caused the downfall of an entire people/nation ... The sin of inequality (and hence pride).

Yes William, you are correct. I feel much more comfortable here, in the trailer park.

Author:  Dan Vogel [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Quote:
Quote:
Believing himself an expert in all things Abraham …

Oh, yes. I’ve claimed that so often in the past, haven’t I?

Truth be told, I only currently claim to be an expert on a handful of items related to the KEP: the interlinear insertion at Abr. 1:12 and the “Haran” dittograph being among that handful. I hope you’ll read with interest my forthcoming offerings on those two topics.


Does the term tongue-in-cheek mean anything to you?

Quote:
Not entirely accurate, as you well know. I began the conversation claiming I didn’t know of any such document in the location you specified.


Well, you said that but you initially also said in so many words that the document in question didn't exist. As the following quotes from the original thread show:

Quote:
According to my research, there is no such document among the “Joseph Smith Egyptian Papers”. And therefore I am led to believe that this citation is completely inaccurate, and I am left to wonder what it portends about the reliability of the research in this so-called “definitive” biography of Joseph Smith. Certainly one bad reference does not a bad book make, but this is quite an extraordinary claim that Vogel has made, and one that does not seem to stand up under close scrutiny.


Quote:
By the way, I have yet to see a correction/retraction from Mr. Vogel regarding the apparently inaccurate reference I cited. I'm actually a bit disappointed. I was hoping that there really is another source of Book of Mormon characters. That would be a significant historical discovery, indeed.

Author:  William Schryver [ Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Dan Vogel wrote:
Well, you said that but you initially also said in so many words that the document in question didn't exist. As the following quotes from the original thread show:

Quote:
According to my research, there is no such document among the “Joseph Smith Egyptian Papers”. And therefore I am led to believe that this citation is completely inaccurate, and I am left to wonder what it portends about the reliability of the research in this so-called “definitive” biography of Joseph Smith. Certainly one bad reference does not a bad book make, but this is quite an extraordinary claim that Vogel has made, and one that does not seem to stand up under close scrutiny.


Quote:
By the way, I have yet to see a correction/retraction from Mr. Vogel regarding the apparently inaccurate reference I cited. I'm actually a bit disappointed. I was hoping that there really is another source of Book of Mormon characters. That would be a significant historical discovery, indeed.

Dan,

We've been over this ground so many times. I don't really think it worth our while to do so again.

I understand why you concluded what you did. I tried to explain previously that you were mistaken; that you mistook my coyness and desire to camouflage my intentions for bona fide ignorance about what is, as you know, quite a well-known document.

I will say this, once and for all: I now regret having ever started that thread. I was just trying to make a statement about the Nibley bashing that was so prevalent at that time. But that objective was never attained, and we ended up "niggling" over two inconsequential points for several supremely wasteful pages. So, there you have it, a formal apology from me for having made a big deal out of a very minor error in your book.

By the way, have you ever been known to frequent the Kroger's near the Holiday Inn Express, near the freeway exit off 270 in Gahanna? I was passing through that area a few months back, and I saw someone I thought for a moment was you, but have since concluded it was not.

Author:  Dan Vogel [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Quote:
We've been over this ground so many times. I don't really think it worth our while to do so again.


I don't think so either. But I do it for the amusement of those reading along.

Quote:
I understand why you concluded what you did. I tried to explain previously that you were mistaken; that you mistook my coyness and desire to camouflage my intentions for bona fide ignorance about what is, as you know, quite a well-known document.


Sorry, but I don't believe you. I prefer to believe you were telling the truth the first time. You have motive to prevaricate now, whereas the first time you didn't.

Quote:
I will say this, once and for all: I now regret having ever started that thread. I was just trying to make a statement about the Nibley bashing that was so prevalent at that time. But that objective was never attained, and we ended up "niggling" over two inconsequential points for several supremely wasteful pages. So, there you have it, a formal apology from me for having made a big deal out of a very minor error in your book.


I can handle my mistakes being pointed out, but I find unfounded and reckless accusations of fabricating sources difficult to shrug off.

Quote:
By the way, have you ever been known to frequent the Kroger's near the Holiday Inn Express, near the freeway exit off 270 in Gahanna? I was passing through that area a few months back, and I saw someone I thought for a moment was you, but have since concluded it was not.


No.

Quote:
"Choose your enemies wisely, because they will define you."- Bono


I don't choose my enemies, they choose me. They need enemies to define themselves, I don't. Peace!

Author:  harmony [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Welcome, Dan. We are truly blessed, with your presence and Mr Bagley's also. I'm not sure what we did to deserve such celebrities among us, but it was probably our penchant of allowing William to hang himself regularly here. It's definitely worth the price of admission.

Author:  William Schryver [ Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: William Schryver - The Vulgar Scatologist of LDS Apologetics

Vogel:
Quote:
I can handle my mistakes being pointed out ...

Yes, that was so apparent in the thread where I pointed one out. :lol:

Quote:
I don't choose my enemies, they choose me. They need enemies to define themselves, I don't.

Spoken by one whose entire raison d'etre is to discredit the legitimacy of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith, and to erode the foundations of the church he founded.

Self-awareness is obviously not one of your strong suits.

Page 4 of 15 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/