Donations to Preserve Mormon Discussions as a Primary Source

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rosebud
God

Donations to Preserve Mormon Discussions as a Primary Source

Post by Rosebud »

I have just learned of your large data loss in 2006 and that it occurred as you were trying to backup your board. I am very sorry that happened to many of you; it sounds devastating.

As I hope most of you have ascertained, I have my own reasons for being invested in Mormon Discussions as a primary source for future historians. I would therefore ideally like there to not only be backups, but distributions of backups, etc.

There is a great deal of good writing and history on this board. The last 12 years have been unique to Mormon history and the Internet has clearly played a large role in what distinguishes our era of Mormonism from our predecessors' eras. This board has its own historical niche. It has recorded the events of the past 12 years in real time and from the perspectives of many varied voices, some of whom are well educated, some of whom have been very influential, and some of whom have well represented the myriad of other Mormon voices of our time.

This board is a masterpiece in its own way.

My take is that the posts here could be drawn upon by future historians and many good (and poor) books could be written by those who have inclination, time and incentive.

I believe it would be tragic if this data got lost, not only because it would be a loss to me, but also to many of you and to those who would not be able to draw upon what is recorded here to interpret many of the events that have occurred in Mormonism over the last 12 years.

So, I did a little Googling and found some phpBB services that seem to be priced very reasonably: https://www.phpbbservices.com/services_ ... 4EzBZNKjFQ

i assume an expert could help and would like to suggest that donations be made to cover the cost of adequately preserving what you (we) have created.

Best,

Rosebud
Last edited by Rosebud on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document

Rosebud
God

Re: Donations to Preserve this Primary Source

Post by Rosebud »

And I just figured out that if I type "R" and then "B" right next to each other, it suddenly turns into "Rosebud" after I press submit.

Testing: Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Rosebud
God

Re: Donations to Preserve this Primary Source

Post by Rosebud »

Yup.....

Thread about the lawsuit

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Re: Donations to Preserve Mormon Discussions as a Primary So

Post by Kishkumen »

It is an excellent idea to preserve the board’s data.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

It might be helpful to place DVDs (and Glass StrataCubes for future archivists) of Rosebud's Mormon Discussions posts in both the Library of Congress and in the Church's granite vaults in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

How much memory would be required to archive the Mormon Discussions website from its inception to today?

Think how much damage a single EMP blast could do to the collected knowledge of Mankind, yea even unto the Mormon Discussions forum. It needs to be backed up and stored someplace dry and away from rodents.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

As hilarious as most of your posts are, moksha, I don’t think there is anything particularly hubristic about preserving data relating to even the most mundane and seemingly inconsequential things. Folk history is a serious discipline.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:As hilarious as most of your posts are, moksha, I don’t think there is anything particularly hubristic about preserving data relating to even the most mundane and seemingly inconsequential things. Folk history is a serious discipline.

True, and I am not piling up on our beloved penguin in any manner, but the Brothers Grimm gave us profound depths of this! Thank goodness!
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

History and the accumulation of knowledge have been greatly bolstered by digital storage, but much of this storage is outside the protection that a library collection would ensure. Digital storage needs to be both onsite and preserved in a secure location.

cinepro
God

Post by cinepro »

Not directly related, but I have a friend who has been in the media business for a couple of decades. In the 1980s, he was contracted to prepare metallic (phonograph) records of all of L. Ron Hubbard's speeches and recordings for the COS. It took him years, and they've archived the records at this base:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trementina_Base

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

cinepro wrote:Not directly related, but I have a friend who has been in the media business for a couple of decades. In the 1980s, he was contracted to prepare metallic (phonograph) records of all of L. Ron Hubbard's speeches and recordings for the COS. It took him years, and they've archived the records at this base:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trementina_Base

Holy crap. They have their own F vault.

I imagine it was a fun project for your friend. Would it betray confidence to divulge what kind of NDAs he had to sign to get that gig? Or are they pretty open about the content of the recordings?

Well at least they have a real "Book of Ron", unlike we Mormons who had to fake a Book of Abraham.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

cinepro
God

Post by cinepro »

Gadianton wrote:I imagine it was a fun project for your friend. Would it betray confidence to divulge what kind of NDAs he had to sign to get that gig? Or are they pretty open about the content of the recordings?

Well at least they have a real "Book of Ron", unlike we Mormons who had to fake a Book of Abraham.

It was just stuff like this:

https://www.scientology.org/store/categ ... tures.html

They have a lot of recordings. You can imagine what the LDS Church would have if Joseph Smith had lived in the time of audio recording technology.

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

cinepro wrote: You can imagine what the LDS Church would have if Joseph Smith had lived in the time of audio recording technology.

What the LDS church would have, if Joseph Smith lived in the time of audio recordings, is a lot less members.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make priests its say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:I don’t think there is anything particularly hubristic about preserving data relating to even the most mundane and seemingly inconsequential things. Folk history is a serious discipline.

I completely agree. Posters on the NOM board felt devastated when the administrator decided that he had grown weary of maintaining the board and let it lapse. If posters had known in advance they would have downloaded many significant posts or formulated a way for it to continue sans the administrator. Fortunately, board enthusiasts were able to create NOM 2.0, but all the postings of the past were lost.

Future historians would appreciate any and all efforts for data preservation. There has been a synergy of material presented on this board which would help any researchers with their future understanding of Mormon related topics.

It probably benefits all message boards to have a contingency plan of what to do when the administrator wears out or the hosting site goes down, and the contingency plan should be shared with the board's participants.

lostindc
God

Post by lostindc »

Seriously good idea.

I can PayPal or whatever method is preferred.

Do we know the total costs?
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I just sent an e-mail to the board's legal owner, asking how much it would cost and where to send the money.

lostindc
God

Post by lostindc »

Dr. Shades wrote:I just sent an e-mail to the board's legal owner, asking how much it would cost and where to send the money.

Wait, what? I thought you owned this board? Haha, I had no idea, either way, thx for keeping this whole thing running.

MsJack
θεά

Post by MsJack »

I'll certainly chip in for preserving the board and an update to the software.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:I'll certainly chip in for preserving the board and an update to the software.

Yes! Wow. I remember when we had chat. And a working search function.

lostindc
God

Post by lostindc »

Kishkumen wrote:
MsJack wrote:I'll certainly chip in for preserving the board and an update to the software.

Yes! Wow. I remember when we had chat. And a working search function.

Yep, chat and search function would be nice. Also, a responsive layout so the board is easy to work with when using handheld devices would also be a huge upgrade.

I will for sure contribute to board content preservation and software updates.

MsJack
θεά

Post by MsJack »

Kishkumen wrote:Yes! Wow. I remember when we had chat. And a working search function.

I miss our chat room.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I finally received a reply from Mav. Here's the relevant portion:

I don't spend any time managing websites anymore, had almost forgotten I still pay for the hosting.

If you want to raise some money through gofundme, venmo etc, we could probably find someone to update the software and maintain.

So, there you have it. If anyone wishes to start an account with one of those services, that's the way to do this.