Building the FARMS Ziggurat

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
Ray A

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Ray A »

Scratch is gone? Never mind. I've found my new role. I will take over where Scratch left off, but with a different angle (though not with half the grace, style, nor intellect) - I'm an anti-Mormon. He wasn't. He was right about many things, but as I said, his anonymity worked as much against him as for him.

"How long halt ye between two opinions?" 1st Kings 18:21

I'll start in the next few days (when I'm off work) by helping some "opinion halters" thinking a little more decivisely.

User avatar
The Nehor
God
Posts: 11832
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by The Nehor »

Trevor wrote:
Pokatator wrote:If Dr. Dan wanted Scratch out of his business, Scratch gave him many opportunities.


Yes, but he handed Daniel one opportunity he knew would be taken. Obviously, he wanted out for some reason. Anyone want to do a Scratchoscopy on Scratch? Offering the sinister theory for the reasons behind his exit from MormonDiscussions.com?


Danite cyber-agents were closing in on his position so he had to go dark.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo

User avatar
The Nehor
God
Posts: 11832
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by The Nehor »

Ray A wrote:Scratch is gone? Never mind. I've found my new role. I will take over where Scratch left off, but with a different angle (though not with half the grace, style, nor intellect) - I'm an anti-Mormon. He wasn't. He was right about many things, but as I said, his anonymity worked as much against him as for him.

"How long halt ye between two opinions?" 1st Kings 18:21

I'll start in the next few days (when I'm off work) by helping some "opinion halters" thinking a little more decivisely.


Can I be one of your creepy informants?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo

Ray A

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Ray A »

The Nehor wrote:
Can I be one of your creepy informants?


Sure - submit your resignation, and tell your bishop he's a dickwad.

User avatar
The Nehor
God
Posts: 11832
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by The Nehor »

Ray A wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Can I be one of your creepy informants?


Sure - submit your resignation, and tell your bishop he's a dickwad.


Never mind. With all the time I've spent keeping covenants it would be a shame to toss them now. Plus, I like my Bishop. Really nice guy.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo

User avatar
Trevor
God
Posts: 7213
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Trevor »

Ray A wrote:Sure - submit your resignation, and tell your bishop he's a dickwad.


LOL.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

User avatar
Pokatator
Famous Potato
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:38 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Pokatator »

The Nehor wrote:
Ray A wrote:Scratch is gone? Never mind. I've found my new role. I will take over where Scratch left off, but with a different angle (though not with half the grace, style, nor intellect) - I'm an anti-Mormon. He wasn't. He was right about many things, but as I said, his anonymity worked as much against him as for him.

"How long halt ye between two opinions?" 1st Kings 18:21

I'll start in the next few days (when I'm off work) by helping some "opinion halters" thinking a little more decivisely.


Can I be one of your creepy informants?


You're definitely creepy enough but not sure you're informed. :rolleyes:
I think it would be morally right to lie about your religion to edit the article favorably.
bcspace

User avatar
Trevor
God
Posts: 7213
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Trevor »

Pokatator wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Can I be one of your creepy informants?


You're definitely creepy enough but not sure you're informed. :rolleyes:


Zing!
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

User avatar
Daniel Peterson
Seething Cauldron of Hate
Posts: 7173
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Daniel Peterson »

Gadianton wrote:The way he kept his word though, is certainly a devastating blow against apologetics.

To Scratches like yourself, everything is a devastating blow against apologetics.

Was this a watershed moment in the history of apologetics, as well?

Gadianton wrote:Never have the apologists known such integrity.

Scratch was probably the most Christlike man who ever lived, and the greatest contemporary English prose stylist, too!

Gadianton wrote:there certainly would have been catastrophic embarrassment ahead for the apologists.

They were headed for a disaster of biblical proportions: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Gadianton wrote:Anyway, that's all I had for P. He's on my ignore list, has been for some time though I've fallen and read him from time to time. That ends with Scratch's death, along with these final sentiments.

Everything's coming up roses.

User avatar
Daniel Peterson
Seething Cauldron of Hate
Posts: 7173
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Daniel Peterson »

Pokatator wrote:Maybe Scratch just got a belly full of it.

LOL. Yeah. That's it. He simply couldn't endure my persecution of him any more.

harmony
God
Posts: 18195
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by harmony »

Daniel Peterson wrote:... dogs and cats living together...


Uh oh. Another Armageddon moment in my little corner of the world!
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.

User avatar
The Nehor
God
Posts: 11832
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by The Nehor »

Pokatator wrote:You're definitely creepy enough but not sure you're informed. :rolleyes:


True, I have neither the time nor the disposition to spend my life digging up dirt on people to expose their errors or possible errors. I will never be as informed as one of Scratch's informants in this way. :cry:
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo

JoetheClerk
Star B
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by JoetheClerk »

"and the world of the Book of Mormon - stone work reminiscent of Meso-American pyramids and other structures."

Wouldn't mounds and fields of bones of millions killed in battles in New York be more appropriate? Nothing in the Book of Mormon or the teaching of Joseph Smith of Lamanites, Nephites and Book of Mormon peoples points to Azteca, Incas or the like.

User avatar
silentkid
Crack whore trainee
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:50 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by silentkid »

I would like to thank Mr. Scratch for his time on the board. I enjoyed reading his posts and learned a lot from him. He was always entertaining. I'll miss him.

User avatar
Rollo Tomasi
God
Posts: 4085
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Rollo Tomasi »

Mister Scratch wrote:Back during my days posting on FAIR, I used to log in using a University of Southern California computer. (And no---I won't say whether it was as faculty, staff, student, or via one of the public-access terminals.) Apparently, this fact was looked at or "spied upon" by the moderating team at FAIR/MAD. Also apparently, the USC IP addresses terminate at the USC Gould School of Law (I'm guessing, anyhow). Well, it seems that this information was passed along to DCP, who thought that he would use it in an effort to taunt me and/or shut me up. You can search through his old posts for words like "trojan," or "gould," and so on. You'll see that DCP would drop these terms into various exchanges that we had. I later learned, thanks to Liz, that DCP believed that I had been a student at the USC law school (I never was), and he was using this information to try and attack me. Probably nobody noticed, but that's what he was up to. And, as people here know, I certainly never said anything publicly about myself. So: he was using ill-begotten information to try and shut me up, or to exact revenge against me. This ought to answer the question of whether or not he peddles people's IRL information in an unethical fashion. Again: this was totally private information that I'd never revealed to anybody.

I always suspected that the FAIR mods passed on IRL info to DCP, and probably others. Despicable.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

User avatar
Rollo Tomasi
God
Posts: 4085
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Rollo Tomasi »

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:This ought to answer the question of whether or not he peddles people's IRL information in an unethical fashion.

I think it does. Had I actually wanted to reveal your IRL information, I would have outright said what I knew. As it is, I doubt that very many even noticed those obscure passing references in a relative handful of posts, and I doubt that, if they had, they would have known what to make of them.

Of course, this didn't stop you from 'outing' GoodK. Despicable.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

User avatar
Some Schmo
God
Posts: 14755
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Some Schmo »

If, in fact, Scratch does stay away, I'll miss the kinds of posts where he put together time lines and documented events. Those were some real gems.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

User avatar
William Schryver
God
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:58 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by William Schryver »

Ray A wrote:Scratch is gone? Never mind. I've found my new role. I will take over where Scratch left off, but with a different angle (though not with half the grace, style, nor intellect) - I'm an anti-Mormon. He wasn't. He was right about many things, but as I said, his anonymity worked as much against him as for him.

"How long halt ye between two opinions?" 1st Kings 18:21

I'll start in the next few days (when I'm off work) by helping some "opinion halters" thinking a little more decivisely.

Somehow I just can't help but want to watch this train wreck from start to finish.

You go, Ray. You da man that can help those "opinion halters" think a little more "decivisely" -- whatever the hell that is.

And while you're at, we'll get to experience the "in progress" cautionary tale of you riding a bullet train curse, hell-bent for leather and self-immolation.

You were warned ... don't ever forget that.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

Ray A

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Ray A »

William Schryver wrote:Somehow I just can't help but want to watch this train wreck from start to finish.

You go, Ray. You da man that can help those "opinion halters" think a little more "decivisely" -- whatever the hell that is.

And while you're at, we'll get to experience the "in progress" cautionary tale of you riding a bullet train curse, hell-bent for leather and self-immolation.

You were warned ... don't ever forget that.


I was "warned" in 1985. Twenty-four years later I'm free of your circle-jerk cult. With Mormons like you, who needs the Jim Joneses?

User avatar
William Schryver
God
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:58 am

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by William Schryver »

Ray:
I was "warned" in 1985.

And look what you’ve become in the meantime!

Hello!

Ray, you’re life has become a freaking disaster in the quarter century since you first violated your covenant with God. Look around you, my would-be nemesis! Do you like what you see?

Where is the committed love of an eternal companion with whom you might have relished life all this time, and whom you might have had beside you forever? What do you “enjoy” in its place?

Where is your posterity of gospel-rooted children and grandchildren, whose eyes shine with the pure light of truth and virtue?

Where is your peace of mind when you lie down at night?

The corrosion of your soul continues from day to day, leaving you bitter and cold; crippled and old.

Where is the light of truth and knowledge that might have steadily expanded your mind beyond the base and earthly thoughts upon which you are now fixated? Gone. Replaced with the vanity of the pretended wisdom and meagre intellectual attainments of men who know less of the meaning and purpose of our existence than your average primary child. You might have positioned yourself for learning on a galactic scale, and instead you’ve settled for the constricting walls of a dank flat and a dingy cab.

And now, from the source you’d least prefer, you’ve been warned again. That is perhaps the most ironic cut of all, I know, but you have to learn to hear God’s voice in the most unlikely of places, and be willing and humble enough to accept it regardless of its origin.

And so, I implore you again: get off this train before it's too late. The consequences of ignoring the warning I bring could very well fall upon you with much more force, alacrity, and permanence than did those of the previous 24 years.

But I fear your feet are set on this path, no matter if an angel should call upon you with a voice of thunder.

The choice is, as always, yours to make.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

Ray A

Re: Building the FARMS Ziggurat

Post by Ray A »

William Schryver wrote:Ray:
I was "warned" in 1985.

And look what you’ve become in the meantime!

Hello!

Ray, you’re life has become a freaking disaster in the quarter century since you first violated your covenant with God. Look around you, my would-be nemesis! Do you like what you see?

Where is the committed love of an eternal companion with whom you might have relished life all this time, and whom you might have had beside you forever? What do you “enjoy” in its place?

Where is your posterity of gospel-rooted children and grandchildren, whose eyes shine with the pure light of truth and virtue?

Where is your peace of mind when you lie down at night?

The corrosion of your soul continues from day to day, leaving you bitter and cold; crippled and old.

Where is the light of truth and knowledge that might have steadily expanded your mind beyond the base and earthly thoughts upon which you are now fixated? Gone. Replaced with the vanity of the pretended wisdom and meagre intellectual attainments of men who know less of the meaning and purpose of our existence than your average primary child. You might have positioned yourself for learning on a galactic scale, and instead you’ve settled for the constricting walls of a dank flat and a dingy cab.

And now, from the source you’d least prefer, you’ve been warned again. That is perhaps the most ironic cut of all, I know, but you have to learn to hear God’s voice in the most unlikely of places, and be willing and humble enough to accept it regardless of its origin.

And so, I implore you again: get off this train before it's too late. The consequences of ignoring the warning I bring could very well fall upon you with much more force, alacrity, and permanence than did those of the previous 24 years.

But I fear your feet are set on this path, no matter if an angel should call upon you with a voice of thunder.

The choice is, as always, yours to make.


My, my, it's going to be fun replying to this. Not ignoring you, Will, just saving the best for last.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests