It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Martha Brotherton
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Cupcake Queen

Since BCSpace and other Mormon Sunday School teachers have been inoculating members by teaching about various first vision accounts, Book of Mormon translation methods, etc., I'd like to know when they're going to cover the details of Nauvoo-era polygamy, specifically the cases of women who rebuffed Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I'd suggest starting with Martha Brotherton.

I knew nothing of Martha Brotherton until I began closely examining Mormonism. I was appalled by what happened in her case.

I think the Martha Brotherton episode should be covered in Young Women's and Young Men's classes. The young women should realize what happens to girls who don't obey the prophet. Licked cupcakes are nothing compared to "mean harlots." Best to learn that lesson early.

KA

Post subject: Re: Martha Brotherton
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:06 pm 
Famous Potato

KA you just hit a bullseye!!!!!

I'd have a heart attack if I saw that in an approved manual.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm 
God

KimberlyAnn wrote:
Since BCSpace and other Mormon Sunday School teachers have been inoculating members by teaching about various first vision accounts, Book of Mormon translation methods, etc., I'd like to know when they're going to cover the details of Nauvoo-era polygamy, specifically the cases of women who rebuffed Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I'd suggest starting with Martha Brotherton.

I knew nothing of Martha Brotherton until I began closely examining Mormonism. I was appalled by what happened in her case.

I think the Martha Brotherton episode should be covered in Young Women's and Young Men's classes. The young women should realize what happens to girls who don't obey the prophet. Licked cupcakes are nothing compared to "mean harlots." Best to learn that lesson early.

KA

http://sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/UK/miscUK01.htm#080042

Note 2:... Elisabeth Brotherton (1816-1897) was the writer of the two letter extracts published by the Star. Although she testifies that her sister Martha lied about spiritual wifery at Nauvoo, Elisabeth herself become the second plural wife of Apostle Parley P. Pratt in June or July of 1843 at Nauvoo -- this was six months after his arrival back in America, after leaving his editor's post at the Star. Like her parents, Martha H. Brotherton soon returned (reportedly via Boston) to England, where she passed away in 1864. After he heard of her death, Brigham Young quietly had the deceased Martha sealed to him, on August 1, 1870, "for eternity" -- "beyond the veil."

Note 3: In several months that followed, before his departure from England, the Star's editor appears to have overlooked his fellow Apostle's reporting on Martha H. Brotherton, as published in the Aug. 27, 1842 issue of The Wasp. There William Smith reports that "in these United States... John C. Bennett, the pimp and file leader of such mean harlots as Martha H. Brotherton and her predecessors... flourish with impunity!" Apostle Smith neglects to indicate exactly when it was that Sister Brotherton became a prostitute, with John C. Bennett as her pimp, however. In her July 13, 1842 affidavit, Miss Brotherton states "I had been at Nauvoo near three weeks, during which time my father's family received frequent visits from elders Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, two of the Mormon apostles; when early one [Saturday] morning [Young said] ..."brother Joseph has had a revelation from God that it is lawful and right for a man to have two wives." According to the Apr. 15, 1842 issue of the Times and Seasons, on Thursday, Apr. 7, 1842, at the spring conference in Nauvoo, Hyrum Smith "spoke concerning the elders who went forth to preach from Kirtland... [and] then spoke in contradiction of a report in circulation about Elder Kimball, B. Young, himself, and others of the Twelve, alledging that a sister had been shut in a room for several days, and that they had endeavored to induce her to believe in having two wives." It appears likely that the Saturday on which Miss Brotherton places the attempted seduction was Mar. 26, 1842. It must have taken a couple of days for "the report" Hyrum repudiates to have been "in circulation," before William Clayton was inspired to write to the Saints back in England, reporting the apostasy of the Brotherton family on Mar. 30, 1842 -- then Hyrum Smith gave an official public response for the LDS Church on Apr. 7th. Since Miss Brotherton says that the attempted seduction occurred "near three weeks" after the family's advent in Nauvoo, their arrival in that place may have been about the first week of March -- thus, they did not arrive with the Chaos Saints, on the Ariel on Mar. 27, 1842, and probably never were a part of that LDS immigrant group. Thus, the time range during which Martha H. Brotherton could have been a prostitute under the pimping of John C. Bennett seems to have been about early March, 1842 (when she arrived in the region of Nauvoo) and August, 1842, when the Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints so identified ---- that is, unless the Apostle was not telling the truth in this matter.

Note 4: See also the testimony of John McIlwrick, Mary Brotherton McIlwrick, and We Elizabeth Brotherton in the Nauvoo Wasp broadside "extra" of Aug. 31, 1842, where Martha's two LDS sisters and her brother-in-law denounce her as "a deliberate liar;" as "a wilful inventor of lies;" and a circulator of "lies of a base kind, concerning those whom she knew to be innocent." These family members also accuse Martha as acting outside of "common decency," by "lying on the top of a young man when he was in bed," etc.

Note 5: The editors of the Latter Day Saints' Millennial Star were still insisting that there was nothing remotely similar to polygamy, plural marriage, spiritual wifery, or the patriarchal order of marriage being practiced in the LDS Church, nor among its leaders, nor within its priesthood, as late as its issue for Jan. 15, 1850, wherein Elder Thomas Smith professed: "...12th LIE: Joseph Smith taught a system of polygamy... 13th LIE: That Joseph Smith tried to seduce Martha Brotherton... Martha Brotherton's sister sent a letter, stating that Martha was a liar; William Clayton did the same. Both are published in the Millennial Star, Vol. 3, pages 73, 74." The top leadership of the RLDS Church (Community of Christ) still refuse to make any official admission of Joseph Smith's secret polygamy. Neither the LDS Church nor the RLDS Church have ever retracted the officially issued statements of 1842, claiming that Sister Martha H. Brotherton was a liar and a whore.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dale on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm 
God

They could even tell the story of Rachel Ivins, who was invited to meet with Joseph but declined his invitation for fear of being asked to participate in polygamy. She later married Jedediah Grant, and their son, Heber became prophet. Heber recalled that his mother told him that on "hearing the [Joseph Smith] was teaching plural marriage and that he undoubtedly was going to propose marriage to her," she told the messenger "she would 'sooner go to hell as a virtuous woman than to heaven as a whore." :lol:

(Heber J. Grant to Ray O. Wyland, Dec. 12, 1936, LDS Archives as cited in the book "Navuoo Polygamy", page 235.

Smiley added.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm 
God

Quote:
Licked cupcakes are nothing compared to "mean harlots." Best to learn that lesson early.

And best to check our sources no?

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 pm 
God

Droopy wrote:
Quote:
Licked cupcakes are nothing compared to "mean harlots." Best to learn that lesson early.

And best to check our sources no?

Quote:

The Wasp
Vol. I. - No. 19.
Nauvoo, Hancock Co., IL
Sat., Aug. 27, 1842.

REMARKS.

We are generally prepared to meet almost any thing in the way of persecution and abuse, but must say for once, that we are forced to read and to give to our readers the above touch, as a finishing stroke of moral depravity, that exceeds all we have ever seen. It is doubtful whether there can be found on record, from the days of Adam down to the notorious nineteenth century, so candid a confession of a wicked man's heart. If we take the meaning of the editor, our citizens were in hopes," that is, all the inhabitants of the State of Illinois, about a half a million we suppose, wishing, or wanted, or expected the Mormons to resist the law of the land as an excuse, for us to have destroyed or expelled them, SANS SOUCI, from the State.

Ye wise, and virtuous, ye Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, yes, all ye professing christians of Illinois; Judges, Generals, and officers from the highest to the lowest, in the state, and the rest of ye editors, too, listen, and give heed to the voice of your leader, your compatriot, your brother American! aye, pay attention this once if never again! If HE (Joseph Smith) HAD RESISTED, WE SHOULD HAVE HAD THE SPORT OF DRIVING HIM AND HIS WORTHY CLAN OUT OF THE STATE en masse. Shades and spirits of the Revolution! is this one of the legatees of liberty? Is this one of the watchmen to conduct an American press, and give tone to public opinion? If so the silence of his brother christians will manifest it; and the silence of the public functionaries will acknowledge it; and the silence of the press will sanction it, -- and the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, will be left to the mercy of God and God only! Aye! while Rhode Island is destroying her own offspring like voracious swine, while mobs are shedding blood and burning houses in Piladelphia, and rioters are taking vengeance on national birth rights in Cincinnati and calamity follows calamity in all the world, Thomas C. Sharp as an aid to Ex-Gov. Boggs who stands at the head of mobocracy and extermination, in these United States, and John C. Bennett, the pimp and file leader of such mean harlots as Martha H. Brotherton and her predecessors from old Jezebel, whom the dogs eat; may flourish with impunity! O virtue! once the white robe of millions of freemen! how art thou alid aside to make sport for the black coats who drive innocent men, women and children from one state to another! O liberty! once the boasted asylum of the oppressed! -- "Where are the charms that sages have seen in thy face?" Where is thy pledge for all nations to come and set under their own vine and fig tree, where there should be none to molest or make afraid? ...

BENNETT'S LETTERS. -- We have read the fifth and sixth letters of Dr. Bennett, and can only say like the old adage: a fool's bolt is soon shot. The fifth letter is made up of the cogitations of disappointed ambition. That want of candour, virtue, meekness, charity, and temperance, which has hitherto destroyed the Doctor's prospects, wherever he has tarried for the time being, and left his writings, an aching void in the estimation of honest men, runs through this letter like the chill fever and leaves it a pale paced sample of western debility. The sixth letter is what purports to be a copy of a letter from Joseph Smith to Miss Nancy Rigdon, without date, name, or proof, and if it had these, is, upon the whole, more moral than Bennett ever was or will be of himself, -- but we hope the community are not yet quite so far from a common course of Justice and propriety as to take Bennett's word for the truth or or fallacy of the curious thing. Joseph Smith is not the author. -- The fact is, candid people begin to see what Bennett's stuff, with his help meets of harlot's affidavits, bolstered up with bombast and promises of more disclosures, amounts to! It gives Bennett a living and talllers tales. It puts us in mind of a boy, who, when the first snow fell in the fall, took up a pewter quart basin full, and setting on a hot fire, exclaimed, I will soon melt me a hogshead of water; but upon turning round, saw to his surprise, his basin melted, and his snow evaporated! So the Doctor, (last heard of in the State of New York,) will soon find that the same fire that melted his disclosures will melt him, and leave a continual pain to his soul, sharper than the sting of a serpent's tooth!

----------------
Note: "...John C. Bennett, the pimp and file leader of such mean harlots as Martha H. Brotherton and her predecessors from old Jezebel..." -- This statement in The Wasp represents the harshest possible charge, by the LDS Church at Nauvoo, against its former, faithful member, Miss Martha H. Brotherton of Lancashire, England. Apostle Smith's editorial statement provides no details as to just how it was that John C. Bennett served as the "pimp" for the newly arrived British convert, prior to the Church officials' offhanded dismissal of her claims (made against top Mormon leaders) just prior to the opening of the spring 1842 General Conference at Nauvoo. Possibly The Wasp's editor was insinuating that Brotherton only became an active prostitute following the publication of her report of the attempted seduction upon her body, carried out by Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Joseph Smith, Jr., in Smith's office at Nauvoo. For an affidavit, by an English acquaintance of Miss Brotherton, defending her virtue and honor, see the letter of Thomas Smethurst in the July 27, 1842 issue of the Pittsburgh Morning Chronicle. Nearly a decade later, LDS Elder Thomas Smith continued to refute claims of polygamy among the Mormons, writing in the Church's official newspaper: "...12th LIE: Joseph Smith taught a system of polygamy... 13th LIE: That Joseph Smith tried to seduce Martha Brotherton... Martha Brotherton's sister sent a letter, stating that Martha was a liar; William Clayton did the same. Both are published in the Millennial Star, Vol. 3, pages 73, 74." (LDS Millennial Star, XII -- Jan. 15, 1850 -- pp. 29-31).

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/LD ... htm#082742

UD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 am 
Sunbeam

Excuse the post in your thread and you can have it split off.

No, the "leader" should learn to recognize the difference between a "mean harlot" and a woman that grew up being taught to think for herself.

Best to learn that lesson early. :)

Last edited by Amaterasu on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 am 
1st Counselor

So do people understand 'mean whore' as an accusation that Brotherton was a promiscuous person or as a comparison to a whore-pimp relationship?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 am 
Sunbeam

quaker wrote:
So do people understand 'mean whore' as an accusation that Brotherton was a promiscuous person or as a comparison to a whore-pimp relationship?

Hmmm... I thought it's that she was labeled that because she rejected the prophet. She was assigned a label that didn't fit her. Right? That's my understanding from reading up on her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:42 pm 
God

Didn't Martha Brotherton (and Nancy Rigdon as well) change her story from being locked in a room for days to being locked in a room for ten minutes?

And despite John Bennett's claim to have witnessed Martha being locked up, wouldn't there have been dozens of people in that tiny store throughout the day to witness or hear her cries for help?

And didn't Bennett himself claim to have been locked in a room himself and wasn't that claim also contradicted by other witnesses? Bennett seems more like the typical vindictive yellow journalistic exmo of today's message boards than a credible witness.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:06 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:
Bennett seems more like the typical vindictive yellow journalistic exmo of today's message boards than a credible witness.

If we take Joseph, Hyrum and Brigham as the baseline for acceptable standards of dishonesty, where do Bennett and Martha Brotherton come out on the spectrum of integrity?

Quote:
In a retrospective newspaper account months later, Martha Brotherton, a young Nauvoo woman, reported that during the same week the debates were held she was privately approached by Brigham Young and asked "were it lawful and right … could [you] accept of me for your husband and companion?" Young stated that "Brother Joseph has had a revelation from God that it is lawful and right for a man to have two wives; for as it was in the days of Abraham, so it shall be in these last days … if you will accept of me, I will take you straight to the celestial kingdom." Brotherton reported that when she hesitated, Young left the room and returned ten minutes later with Smith. "Well, Martha," she reported the prophet as saying, "just go ahead, and do as Brigham wants you to.… I know that this is lawful and right before God.… I have the keys of the kingdom, and whatever I bind on earth is bound in heaven, and whatever I loose on earth is loosed in heaven." Martha begged for time to consider the offer, then left for St. Louis, where she published her story in the 15 July 1842 St. Louis Bulletin.

Even before Martha left Nauvoo, rumors of the incident began to circulate. Hyrum Smith, believing the prophet's public posture that polygamy was not being practiced, publicly addressed the Saints on 7 April 1842 "in contradiction of a report in circulation about Elders Heber C. Kimball, Brigham Young, himself, and others of the Twelve, alleging that a sister had been shut in a room for several days, and that they had endeavored to induce her to believe in having two wives." Joseph, who addressed the group after Hyrum, added, "There is no person that is acquainted with our principles who would believe such lies" (HC 4:585-86).7

Richard S. Van Wagoner, Mormon Polygamy, p.20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:05 am 
1st Counselor

I'm inclined to think that the reference to harlot, pimp and Jezebel is meant in reference to slanderous individuals espousing evil intentions. Whether it is too strong a comparison is up for debate.

I'm thinking that, for example, you might be able to replace Bennett with his file of whores with Ed Decker and his file of whores, like Aaron Shaff. Is that a workable comparison?

Neither groups whore sexual favours. Instead they whore propaganda and salacious material. Just like the whore/harlot comparison is used to reference the Church of the devil in the Book of Mormon.

Maybe I am pointing out the obvious? I just don't see how the comments about Brotherton can be considered extreme or worth regarding if they are put into this context. Correct me if I'm making false connections.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 am 
God

quaker wrote:
I'm inclined to think that the reference to harlot, pimp and Jezebel is meant in reference to slanderous individuals espousing evil intentions. Whether it is too strong a comparison is up for debate.

I love it.

Prophet asks woman to marry polygamously, despite the fact that his church is publicly denying that it practices polygamy.

Woman refuses proposal, and publicly denounces prophet for his polygamous suggestion, pointing out that it is at variance with said prophet's public statements.

Prophet's organisation denounces her (the woman previously approached with an offer of marriage) as a harlot and Jezebel, and her male associate as a pimp.

Quaker then says that in his view "Whether [the use of the terms harlot, pimp and Jezebel] is too strong a comparison is up for debate.

QUESTION: is it "up for debate" what we may call the prophet and his associates if the woman's account is true? There would be plenty of suggestions to discuss ...

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm 
quaker wrote:

I'm thinking that, for example, you might be able to replace Bennett with his file of whores with Ed Decker and his file of whores, like Aaron Shaff. Is that a workable comparison?

Neither groups whore sexual favours. Instead they whore propaganda and salacious material. Just like the whore/harlot comparison is used to reference the Church of the devil in the Book of Mormon.

Maybe I am pointing out the obvious? I just don't see how the comments about Brotherton can be considered extreme or worth regarding if they are put into this context. Correct me if I'm making false connections.

First, I am pretty sure that 'file' is actually supposed to be 'vile', as in "pimp and vile leader".

Second, all MB did was tell the truth about a situation she found herself in, through no fault of her own. The tactic used on her by BY and JSjr, we now know, has been confirmed by a number of women.

Given the embarrassment of the situation for MB, her intentions were likely to be protection for future women caught in that situation, carried out at the expense of herself. The two siblings who 'testified' against her were already caught up in the polygamy scam, but at least her parents believed her.

BY made the mistake of not using JSjr's tried and true method of converting a male relation first, in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:29 pm 
Lightbearer

Bennet was known to seduce women in the temple and have sexual relations with them, both married and unmarried. That is why he was excommunicated if I remember right.

Could it be that the elders of the church were seeking to get her married and restore her honor after Bennet had stolen her virtue with his seductions?

Just pondering. I have no evidence either way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:38 pm 
God

Gazelam wrote:
Bennet was known to seduce women in the temple and have sexual relations with them, both married and unmarried. That is why he was excommunicated if I remember right.

Could it be that the elders of the church were seeking to get her married and restore her honor after Bennet had stolen her virtue with his seductions?

Just pondering. I have no evidence either way.

I'm curious to know how 1) anyone would know what Bennett had supposedly done, if it was done in secret in the temple, and 2) how marrying either of 2 already-married men secretly would restore her virtue?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 pm 
God

Gazelam wrote:

I don't think we truly know the depths of Bennett's depravity. But we do know that if you were a man inclined to "marry" more than one woman, Nauvoo in the early 1840's wasn't a bad place to be if you gained the trust of Joseph Smith.

But he seemed to be doing OK as late as January 1841.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 am 
God

Believe it or not, I'm just becoming aware of this particular story. Disturbing to say the least.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 am 
cinepro wrote:
Gazelam wrote:

I don't think we truly know the depths of Bennett's depravity. But we do know that if you were a man inclined to "marry" more than one woman, Nauvoo in the early 1840's wasn't a bad place to be if you gained the trust of Joseph Smith.

But he seemed to be doing OK as late as January 1841.

History passes through filters. When Bennett's brothel was shut down, he and the Fosters had it in for Joseph Smith. Bennett vowed revenge. He carried through with his threat by publishing History of the Saints; or, an Expose of Joe Smith and Mormonism. This biased publication muddied the waters and distorted the filter that the story of Nauvoo polygamy came through. This needs to be taken into account when looking at later writings/stories dealing with polygamy in the Nauvoo period.

Regards,
MG

Last edited by mentalgymnast on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am 
Founder & Visionary

mentalgymnast wrote:
He carried through with his threat by publishing History of the Saints; or, an Expose of Joe Smith and Mormonism. This biased publication muddied the waters and distorted the filter that the story of Nauvoo polygamy came through. This needs to be taken into account when looking at later writings/stories dealing with polygamy in the Nauvoo period.

What did Bennett get wrong?

--Kishkumen, 10-10-2017

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 am 
God

Bennett was at least as trustworthy a source as Smith himself.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next