It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:30 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 3679
Location: Kershaw, SC
Quote:
The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


No, teased hair doen't equal prostitution, but I'm beginning to suspect that serious, committed ant-Mormonism equals Down's Syndrome.

You don't understand the counsel against caffinated soda (which isn't a commandment, as is the Word of Wisdom), so don't pontificate about it. The slippery slope argument you imply exists within the doctrines of the church regarding personal behavior don't, and the sheer hysterical extremity of your implication indicates that you don't really believe it does either.

Try something serous here for a change on this thread.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:36 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm
Posts: 18195
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Coggins7 wrote:
Quote:
The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


No, teased hair doen't equal prostitution, but I'm beginning to suspect that serious, committed ant-Mormonism equals Down's Syndrome.


Back off on the Down's Syndrome. You're compounding your sins, Loran. They're starting to pile up and rot, and the stink is almost overwhelming.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 pm 
Anonymous Coward
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 pm
Posts: 1676
Location: i iz in ur messuj bord
Coggins7 wrote:

No, teased hair doen't equal prostitution, but I'm beginning to suspect that serious, committed ant-Mormonism equals Down's Syndrome.


Oh yeah - that's a good way to make a point: insult the less-abled. On behalf of those who have loved ones with Down Syndrome, you are a complete idiot.

_________________
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Posts: 6215
Location: in the dog house
skippy the dead wrote:
On behalf of those who have loved ones with Down Syndrome, you are a complete idiot.


No, he's not a complete idiot. He's still missing a few parts.


Hopefully that shipment of tact will arrive soon.

_________________
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO


Last edited by asbestosman on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:52 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Posts: 1372
Coggins7 wrote:
Quote:
The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


No, teased hair doen't equal prostitution, but I'm beginning to suspect that serious, committed ant-Mormonism equals Down's Syndrome.

You don't understand the counsel against caffinated soda (which isn't a commandment, as is the Word of Wisdom), so don't pontificate about it. The slippery slope argument you imply exists within the doctrines of the church regarding personal behavior don't, and the sheer hysterical extremity of your implication indicates that you don't really believe it does either.

Try something serous here for a change on this thread.


That you are, apparently, ignorant of the slippery slope logic that absolutely underlies a good deal of Mormonism' fascination with straining at gnats suggests that it is you who doesn't have a clue.

_________________
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 3679
Location: Kershaw, SC
Quote:
That you are, apparently, ignorant of the slippery slope logic that absolutely underlies a good deal of Mormonism' fascination with straining at gnats suggests that it is you who doesn't have a clue.


Yada yada, rama lama ding dong, blah, blah, blah.

Care to make a substantive statement in support of your assersions here?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:11 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Posts: 1372
Coggins7 wrote:
Quote:
That you are, apparently, ignorant of the slippery slope logic that absolutely underlies a good deal of Mormonism' fascination with straining at gnats suggests that it is you who doesn't have a clue.


Yada yada, rama lama ding dong, blah, blah, blah.

Care to make a substantive statement in support of your assersions here?


You care offer substantive evidence that I'm wrong?

There's nothing I could offer you that you would accept, so why bother?

Both our perceptions are primarily a function of how we've understood the messages we've heard after decacdes in the Church.

We have obviously intrepreted our experience in the Mormon Church quite differently.

That's ok, as the same is true between me and my wife. The only difference is that she is, at least, rational and reasonable. Two adjectives I would never use to describe you.

_________________
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:44 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 3679
Location: Kershaw, SC
Quote:
Oh yeah - that's a good way to make a point: insult the less-abled. On behalf of those who have loved ones with Down Syndrome, you are a complete idiot.


Leave your parents out of this Skppy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:05 pm 
Anonymous Coward
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 pm
Posts: 1676
Location: i iz in ur messuj bord
Coggins7 wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah - that's a good way to make a point: insult the less-abled. On behalf of those who have loved ones with Down Syndrome, you are a complete idiot.


Leave your parents out of this Skppy.


Oh lord, you are a major jackass.

_________________
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:07 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 3679
Location: Kershaw, SC
Quote:
You care offer substantive evidence that I'm wrong?

There's nothing I could offer you that you would accept, so why bother?

Both our perceptions are primarily a function of how we've understood the messages we've heard after decacdes in the Church.

We have obviously intrepreted our experience in the Mormon Church quite differently.

That's ok, as the same is true between me and my wife. The only difference is that she is, at least, rational and reasonable. Two adjectives I would never use to describe you.


Its reeally quite simple. You made a slippery slope argument regarding Packer's mention of teased hair re Mormon grooming standards and claimed that Packer's (and the church's) implied positon is that if one teases one's hair, that the end of this will be sexual immorality, bestiality, rape and murder. Of course you forgot pedophilia and ethinic cleansing.

This argument, if serious, is not only neither rational or reasonable, but is the kind of argument, not a philosopher, but a political demagogue or issue activist who really has not serious knowledge of his subject would make to smear an opponsing interlocutor. If you meant it as a sarcastic parody, that's one thing. If you actually believe that Packer believes what you state in this post, then this tells me that your own knowledge of LDS doctrine is not only seriously limited and poorly understood, but that another powerful, perhaps unexamined bias is at work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 am
Posts: 1183
guy sajer wrote:
Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

The answer is no. As I heard Packer's talk, the counsel was for Latter Day Saints, not those of the great and spacious building. And, as Packer's counsel had no particular moral meaning, in and of itself, nothing precludes Mormon hair stylists from teasing the hair of others, just as nothing prevents Mormon restaruant or hotel owners from serving liquor. Just as alcohol is not in and of itself evil, neither is teased hair, and this was not Packer's meaning. Teased hair, overuse of body ornimentation, such as earrings, jewlry, tattoos, body piercing, to different degrees, are an integral part of the culture of "the world" represented by the great and spacious building, and the Saints don't need to be imitating Babylon, even in small things, because imitation, in time, very often leads to integration.

Gospel teachings try to avoid sin at the periphery so that it need not be dealty with later at the center, or core.


I guess I'm still puzzled as to why teased hair is more worldly than other hair and how that relates to the periphery of sin.


The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


As ridiculous as your "slippery-slope" example seems to normal thinking people, I actually had an Elder Quorum President give a lesson in EQ class several years ago on pornography. He said that pornography leads to adultery, and adultery leads to murder. He actually wrote it out on the chalkboard with arrows going from pornography to adultery to murder. He used the story of David looking at Bathsheba in the shower, which he equated to viewing pornography. This led to David committing adultery with Bathsheba, then he murdered Bathsheba's husband so he could have her. I guess it all made sense to those of us listening to the lesson. Once you look at a Playboy, it's only a matter of time before you're planning your first murder.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:20 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Posts: 1372
SatanWasSetUp wrote:
guy sajer wrote:
Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

The answer is no. As I heard Packer's talk, the counsel was for Latter Day Saints, not those of the great and spacious building. And, as Packer's counsel had no particular moral meaning, in and of itself, nothing precludes Mormon hair stylists from teasing the hair of others, just as nothing prevents Mormon restaruant or hotel owners from serving liquor. Just as alcohol is not in and of itself evil, neither is teased hair, and this was not Packer's meaning. Teased hair, overuse of body ornimentation, such as earrings, jewlry, tattoos, body piercing, to different degrees, are an integral part of the culture of "the world" represented by the great and spacious building, and the Saints don't need to be imitating Babylon, even in small things, because imitation, in time, very often leads to integration.

Gospel teachings try to avoid sin at the periphery so that it need not be dealty with later at the center, or core.


I guess I'm still puzzled as to why teased hair is more worldly than other hair and how that relates to the periphery of sin.


The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


As ridiculous as your "slippery-slope" example seems to normal thinking people, I actually had an Elder Quorum President give a lesson in EQ class several years ago on pornography. He said that pornography leads to adultery, and adultery leads to murder. He actually wrote it out on the chalkboard with arrows going from pornography to adultery to murder. He used the story of David looking at Bathsheba in the shower, which he equated to viewing pornography. This led to David committing adultery with Bathsheba, then he murdered Bathsheba's husband so he could have her. I guess it all made sense to those of us listening to the lesson. Once you look at a Playboy, it's only a matter of time before your planning your first murder.


A normal thinking person would recognize that I was being facetious. Gross exagerration is an effective tool to highlight absurdity.

_________________
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 am
Posts: 1183
guy sajer wrote:
SatanWasSetUp wrote:
guy sajer wrote:
Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

The answer is no. As I heard Packer's talk, the counsel was for Latter Day Saints, not those of the great and spacious building. And, as Packer's counsel had no particular moral meaning, in and of itself, nothing precludes Mormon hair stylists from teasing the hair of others, just as nothing prevents Mormon restaruant or hotel owners from serving liquor. Just as alcohol is not in and of itself evil, neither is teased hair, and this was not Packer's meaning. Teased hair, overuse of body ornimentation, such as earrings, jewlry, tattoos, body piercing, to different degrees, are an integral part of the culture of "the world" represented by the great and spacious building, and the Saints don't need to be imitating Babylon, even in small things, because imitation, in time, very often leads to integration.

Gospel teachings try to avoid sin at the periphery so that it need not be dealty with later at the center, or core.


I guess I'm still puzzled as to why teased hair is more worldly than other hair and how that relates to the periphery of sin.


The same way that drinking a non-caffeneited cola is on the periphery of sin. It is a proven fact that if one drinks non-caffeneited colas, it is only a matter of time before he drinks caffeneited cola, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he drinks coffee and tea, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he masturbates, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he commits adultery, homosexuality, or beastiality, and once this happens, it is only a matter of time before he rapes and kills.

So, silly, decaffeited cola = raping and killing.

Using similar process of sound, logical reasoning, everyone knows that teased hair=prostitution.


As ridiculous as your "slippery-slope" example seems to normal thinking people, I actually had an Elder Quorum President give a lesson in EQ class several years ago on pornography. He said that pornography leads to adultery, and adultery leads to murder. He actually wrote it out on the chalkboard with arrows going from pornography to adultery to murder. He used the story of David looking at Bathsheba in the shower, which he equated to viewing pornography. This led to David committing adultery with Bathsheba, then he murdered Bathsheba's husband so he could have her. I guess it all made sense to those of us listening to the lesson. Once you look at a Playboy, it's only a matter of time before your planning your first murder.


A normal thinking person would recognize that I was being facetious. Gross exagerration is an effective tool to highlight absurdity.


I knew you were being facetious. But to deep Mormon thinkers, like Coggins, your slippery slope makes perfect sense. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:58 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 3679
Location: Kershaw, SC
Quote:
As ridiculous as your "slippery-slope" example seems to normal thinking people, I actually had an Elder Quorum President give a lesson in EQ class several years ago on pornography. He said that pornography leads to adultery, and adultery leads to murder. He actually wrote it out on the chalkboard with arrows going from pornography to adultery to murder. He used the story of David looking at Bathsheba in the shower, which he equated to viewing pornography. This led to David committing adultery with Bathsheba, then he murdered Bathsheba's husband so he could have her. I guess it all made sense to those of us listening to the lesson. Once you look at a Playboy, it's only a matter of time before you're planning your first murder.



This is precisely what was required to demonstrate that you are another brick in the shallow intellectual wall here and you are in good company. The link between pornography and sexual violence is well known at this point, as is the ancient link between adultery and homicide.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled drivel...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:24 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19446
Location: Koloburbia
Where do "comb-overs" fall on the scale of righteous hair behavior? This one would of course affect some of the guys in the Priesthood meeting. Coggins, Gazelam, Wade and others - what say you?

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:03 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Posts: 6215
Location: in the dog house
moksha wrote:
Where do "comb-overs" fall on the scale of righteous hair behavior? This one would of course affect some of the guys in the Priesthood meeting. Coggins, Gazelam, Wade and others - what say you?


I think comb-overs are a hair-brained idea. Not unrighteous--just silly.

_________________
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:03 pm 
Regional Representative

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29 pm
Posts: 677
asbestosman wrote:
moksha wrote:
Where do "comb-overs" fall on the scale of righteous hair behavior? This one would of course affect some of the guys in the Priesthood meeting. Coggins, Gazelam, Wade and others - what say you?


I think comb-overs are a hair-brained idea. Not unrighteous--just silly.


Is the "comb over" all that innocent though.....? It could be said there is willful intent to deceive!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:01 pm 
Lightbearer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: las vegas
I think comb-overs are a sign of unrighteous pride, and should therefore be banned. Does Jullian operate a barbershop ?

_________________
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Meadowchik and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group