It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Boyd K. Packer's latest rant: Evils of TV and Teased Hair ....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 pm 
God

See link below for article in Provo's Daily Herald about Boyd K. Packer's latest talk to BYU students, particularly the evils of TV and the gall of LDS girls who 'tease' their hair. This is an instant classic!!!

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/206891/

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 pm 
God

Wow, how f'd up is this?

First, wtf does a latter-day saint 'look and groom' like? I didn't know there was a standard template out there.

Second, he says that this generation is all in the 'great and spacious building' because of the TV. Yet, somehow we're better than the youth from his day? And today's generation is stronger morally than his was, but worse in terms of dress and grooming? WTF!? Maybe the 2 aren't correlated?

What a completely deluded douche who's still living in the glory days of his younger years. Not that this sort of ____ wasn't expected from Packer, but still! I think he would make a better Amish than Mormon.

CONTROL! CONTROL! CONTROL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:40 pm 
Crack whore trainee

So, the so-called true gospel of Jesus Christ is still concerned with hairstyles and TV's. Not surprising. You would think he could come up with something important to talk about, given his line of communication with god and his priesthood authority. I went to one of those fireside/devotionals while at BYU and that was enough for me. Hollow, shallow, and impertinent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:42 pm 
God

What does teasing their hair so it looks like is has not been combed mean. I don't see this in young women in our out of the Church today as far as hair styles go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:43 pm 
God

Who Knows wrote:
Yet, somehow we're better than the youth from his day? And today's generation is stronger morally than his was, but worse in terms of dress and grooming? WTF!? Maybe the 2 aren't correlated?

Well if there's a correlation it comes in being respectful of others through your dress and grooming. But then again I think it's a two way street. One ought to be able to respect a variety of dress and grooming choices (just be sure to bathe frequently and don't overdo it on perfume/cologne).

Personally I'm excited to hear someone say my generation is stronger morally than thiers was. You don't know how sick I get about hearing how terrible we are. Actually my biggest pet peeve is having leaders say that women are so much more spiritual than men. It drives me nuts, and not because I hate women since I don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 pm 
God

It's a shame Packer won't get to be the next 'Prophet'. I'd love to see him on 60 minutes - you know, get back to the days of BY and prophecies of hell and damnation, and calling the entire world to repentance, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:47 pm 
God

asbestosman wrote:
Well if there's a correlation it comes in being respectful of others through your dress and grooming. But then again I think it's a two way street. One ought to be able to respect a variety of dress and grooming choices (just be sure to bathe frequently and don't overdo it on perfume/cologne).

I agree - but no one needs a prophet to tell them to be respectful to others when it comes to dress and grooming.

And I somehow fail to grasp the relationship between being respectful and teased hair.

Come on Asbestosman, you're a TBM - let us know what you thought of his talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:48 pm 
God

So is this a new fad out west? Teasing hair incessantly? Is it like a beehive doo?

I don't think this is a fad where I live.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:49 pm 
God

asbestosman wrote:
Actually my biggest pet peeve is having leaders say that women are so much more spiritual than men. It drives me nuts, and not because I hate women since I don't.

It's like giving the leftover dinner crumbs to the dog. Women don't hold the priesthood, so in consolation, men feel the need to say 'well, you don't need it, you're already more spiritual than men anyways'. At least, that's my view of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:50 pm 
God

beastie wrote:
So is this a new fad out west? Teasing hair incessantly? Is it like a beehive doo?

What's next? Is he going to complain about skinny ties and moon boots?

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:59 pm 
High Goddess of Atlantis

A quote I heard many, many years ago that still rings true for me...

It is better to BE good, than to SEEM good.

I struggle with the emphasis on appearance whether it be from church leaders (any church) or from the media... this need to have people look a certain way, appear a certain way, or seem a certain way, is uncomfortable to me.

I do believe the cyber/media world is unhealthy to a large degree. I believe we need the creative, unique, decent, efforts of young people throughout the world to create the changes necessary for our species to continue...

I just see little on TV that inspires, uplifts, encourages goodness, or adds anything beneficial to humanity or our world.

I LOVE the young people today... I think they are brilliant, thoughtful, creative, ingenious, and curious.... I hope they will use this amazing energy and ability to bring forth a future of goodness, care, and a deeper sense of compassion.

~dancer~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:59 pm 
God

beastie wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 pm 
God

Runtu wrote:

It may only be a matter of time. Here's the count so far:

1. No more than one pair of earrings for women, none for men.

2. No facial hair for men who work in temple (or in Church leadership).

3. No tattoos.

4. For BYU boys: no mustache below corners of mouth, and no sideburns beyond middle of ear (or something like that). For girls at BYU-I (at least according to Sister Bednar), no showing of "bumps" (i.e., nipples) through the shirt.

5. White shirts for boys and men.

6. No teased hair for women (what about men?).

Anything missing from this list when it comes to appearance and dress?

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:05 pm 
High Goddess of Atlantis

Quote:
It's like giving the leftover dinner crumbs to the dog. Women don't hold the priesthood, so in consolation, men feel the need to say 'well, you don't need it, you're already more spiritual than men anyways'. At least, that's my view of it...

Ohh don't get me started on this... LOL!

Yeah, guys have the POWER OF GOD but it is the women who are more spiritual? What condescending nonsense.

~dancer~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 pm 
God

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Runtu wrote:

It may only be a matter of time. Here's the count so far:

1. No more than one pair of earrings for women, none for men.

2. No facial hair for men who work in temple (or in Church leadership).

3. No tattoos.

4. For BYU boys: no mustache below corners of mouth, and no sideburns beyond middle of ear (or something like that). For girls at BYU-I (at least according to Sister Bednar), no showing of "bumps" (i.e., nipples) through the shirt.

5. White shirts for boys and men.

6. No teased hair for women (what about men?).

Anything missing from this list when it comes to appearance and dress?

7. Clean cut hair for guys (not past the collar)

8. No showing of the mid-riff for girls

(Of course there's the natural restrictions on clothing due to the garmies)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm 
God

Where was Boyd K back when Utah was infested with mullets and the "Utah claw" style of bangs? Times have gotten way better, if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:21 pm 
God

The Dude wrote:
Where was Boyd K back when Utah was infested with mullets and the "Utah claw" style of bangs? Times have gotten way better, if you ask me.

Don't worry, it'll come back in style. Things like that always do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:22 pm 
God

Oh good Lord, do these old men have NOTHING better to do than try to control the every breath of the LDS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 pm 
God

Who Knows wrote:

Here's another:

9. No two-piece swimsuit for women/girls.

Quote:

And they've recently made the bottom part of the garment longer so folks have to wear longer shorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:37 pm 
God

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
And they've recently made the bottom part of the garment longer so folks have to wear longer shorts.

How recent? For the women only? I haven't bought any for a couple years now, and back then, they always came down to just above my knee.

I think my wife bought some a few months ago, and they're still above the knee.

Last edited by Who Knows on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:37 pm 
God

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Who Knows wrote:

Here's another:

9. No two-piece swimsuit for women/girls.

Quote:

They have? I know my wife said that the new top for women is just a tank top, without the "support" seams. I had no idea the garments had changed. I have a drawer full of them, but don't use them anymore.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next