It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Every LDS MDB and MAD poster going against the prophets...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:07 pm 
According to Elder Ballard's talk in this month's Ensign discussing do's and don'ts of the Internet, ALL of us who are posting both here AND MAD need to repent:

Elder Ballard wrote:
Things to Avoid

Every disciple of Christ will be most effective and do the most good by adopting a demeanor worthy of a follower of the Savior. Discussions focused on questioning, debating, and doubting gospel principles do little to build the kingdom of God. The Apostle Paul has admonished us to not be “ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation” (Romans 1:16). Let us all stand firmly and speak with faith in sharing our message with the world. Many of you are returned missionaries and can carry on a meaningful conversation in the language you learned on your mission. Your outreach can be international.

As you participate in this conversation and utilize the tools of new media, remember who you are—Latter-day Saints. Remember, as the proverb states, that “a soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger” (Proverbs 15:1). And remember that contention is of the devil (see 3 Nephi 11:29). There is no need to argue or contend with others regarding our beliefs. There is no need to become defensive or belligerent. Our position is solid; the Church is true. We simply need to have a conversation, as friends in the same room would have, always guided by the prompting of the Spirit and constantly remembering the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ, which reminds us of how precious are the children of our Father in Heaven.

May the Lord bless each of you that you will have a powerful influence on those you come in contact with. As I said in the beginning, the power of words is incredible. Let your voice be heard in this great cause of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Will, BC, and several other LDS posters who have been particularly rude as of late may want to pay close attention to the parts I bolded for emphasis.

The entire article can be read here:

Ensign article

Post subject: Re: Every LDS MDB and MAD poster going against the prophets.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:12 pm 
God

liz3564 wrote:
According to Elder Ballard's talk in this month's Ensign discussing do's and don'ts of the Internet, ALL of us who are posting both here AND MAD need to repent:

Elder Ballard wrote:
Things to Avoid

Every disciple of Christ will be most effective and do the most good by adopting a demeanor worthy of a follower of the Savior. Discussions focused on questioning, debating, and doubting gospel principles do little to build the kingdom of God. The Apostle Paul has admonished us to not be “ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation” (Romans 1:16). Let us all stand firmly and speak with faith in sharing our message with the world. Many of you are returned missionaries and can carry on a meaningful conversation in the language you learned on your mission. Your outreach can be international.

As you participate in this conversation and utilize the tools of new media, remember who you are—Latter-day Saints. Remember, as the proverb states, that “a soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger” (Proverbs 15:1). And remember that contention is of the devil (see 3 Nephi 11:29). There is no need to argue or contend with others regarding our beliefs. There is no need to become defensive or belligerent. Our position is solid; the Church is true. We simply need to have a conversation, as friends in the same room would have, always guided by the prompting of the Spirit and constantly remembering the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ, which reminds us of how precious are the children of our Father in Heaven.

May the Lord bless each of you that you will have a powerful influence on those you come in contact with. As I said in the beginning, the power of words is incredible. Let your voice be heard in this great cause of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Will, BC, and several other LDS posters who have been particularly rude as of late may want to pay close attention to the parts I bolded for emphasis.

The entire article can be read here:

Ensign article____

He was speaking as a man who's never visited the GSTP.

Besides, if I didn't cling to this one weakness, I would be translated in the twinkling of an eye.

So, you see, I'm doing this for everyone who depends on me here in this mortal vale of sorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:13 pm 
God

This was a fascinating article. I wonder though if Elder Ballard is aware of the dangers that lurk in the internet for good faithful believing LDSers. Sending them out there can be risky business. Maybe the council not to contend or debate is to help the unwary avoid the pitfalls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 pm 
Will wrote:
He was speaking as a man who's never visited the GSTP.

Besides, if I didn't cling to this one weakness, I would be translated in the twinkling of an eye.

So, you see, I'm doing this for everyone who depends on me here in this mortal vale of sorrow.

So you are saying that you are purposely choosing to ignore the counsel of one of our modern day prophets. Interesting.

Seems to smack of hypocrisy, considering what you are supposedly fighting for.

*shrugs*

To each his own.

Your choice, however, does make you look rather silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:22 pm 
God

liz:

Quote:
So you are saying that you are purposely choosing to ignore the counsel of one of our modern day prophets.

Well, it was a lot harder to do the first 10,000 times, but now it comes pretty easy.

Quote:
Seems to smack of hypocrisy, considering what you are supposedly fighting for.

What did you think the red “H” stood for? Holy?

Quote:
*shrugs*

To each his own.

Your choice, however, does make you look rather silly.

Well, as long as it makes the kids laugh, I have no compunction whatsoever …

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:40 pm 
God

This whole message board should be avoided based on that counsel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
The Nehor wrote:

My point exactly!

And, MAD's message board should as well.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:57 pm 
God

liz3564 wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

My point exactly!

;)

Well, that's it then. No more participation in the validity of the Gospel or it's doctrines. Looks like I'm limited to derails and loudly proclaiming my testimony at inappropriate times. Sounds like fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm 
The Nehor wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

My point exactly!

;)

Well, that's it then. No more participation in the validity of the Gospel or it's doctrines. Looks like I'm limited to derails and loudly proclaiming my testimony at inappropriate times. Sounds like fun.

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm 
God

The Nehor wrote:

While you say this in jest I think really that is Elder Ballard's message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 pm 
Jason Bourne wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

It is. That was the point of my post.

Elder Ballard would be as appalled at MAD as he is at this place. He would be calling us all to repentance. Seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:14 pm 
God

Jason Bourne wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

I'd say that everything else is a waste of time anyhow.

Late I've been thinking that I've really been getting out of touch because of this place. I'm beginning to think I've too busy trying to get along and have therefore bought into sophistries that justify wickedness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:17 pm 
It's probably safer to follow dead leaders:

Quote:
J. Golden Kimball:

When addressing concerns about the behavior of the youth, Golden told the congregation not to worry about the young people: "They'll be all right. It's all these old bald-headed b*stards on the front row that you need to look out for."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:17 pm 
God

liz3564 wrote:
Elder Ballard would be as appalled at MAD as he is at this place. He would be calling us all to repentance. Seriously.

Many at MADB may be rude, but I don't think MADB exists chiefly to debate, question, or doubt doctrine. In other words, it's the members, not the board that's the problem. Here, however, I think the very premise of the board goes against Elder BAllard's counsel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:42 pm 
asbestosman wrote:
liz3564 wrote:

Many at MADB may be rude, but I don't think MADB exists chiefly to debate, question, or doubt doctrine. In other words, it's the members, not the board that's the problem. Here, however, I think the very premise of the board goes against Elder BAllard's counsel.

On the contrary, what is MAD's most frequented section? The DEBATE section.

Also, if you read MDB's message, it was not designed to debate, question, or doubt doctrine. It was designed to discuss topics in Mormonism.

BOTH boards are a product of the members.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:52 pm 
Anonymous Coward

Who is gonna go post this article over on MADB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm 
skippy the dead wrote:

Well, it will have to be someone who isn't banned....That lets me out. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:03 pm 
God

skippy the dead wrote:

Deosn't matter. MAD doesn't think they are sideways of Elder Ballard's point. They think they're right and righteous. Like many among the LDS, they think their sweat don't stink.

(I said sweat... y'all know what I meant)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:08 pm 
God

The Nehor wrote:

Bye Nehor!

And lost in space...and meaning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 pm 
God

Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

Bye Nehor!

You missed my brilliant loophole in the counsel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:20 pm 
Lightbearer

I for one am glad that I have managed to steer clear of these traps and pitfalls of the adversary.

Right Liz ? : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next