It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:59 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:
A dollar magically appears under my pillow for every LDS apologetic post I make. There's one now.......

I'm always hoping for magic beans, but cash will do.

- Thomas S. Monson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:41 pm 
Coggins7 wrote:
bcspace wrote:
A dollar magically appears under my pillow for every LDS apologetic post I make. There's one now.......

I'm always hoping for magic beans, but cash will do.

I thought you were hoping for Keystone Light...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 pm 
God

No, Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull. That has more cred in the hood.

And around here, I do mean Bull...

- Thomas S. Monson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 pm 
Jason Bourne wrote:
In other words the claim that Peterson and other LDS apologists are PAID to be apologist's seems to be a hollow claim with no evidence to back it up. Scratch must really be disappointed. Such excitement over NADA!

Yes my friend, I suppose we will just have to give the big guy the benefit of the doubt until he owns up to things or we can get a copy of his Income Tax filing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm 
God

Quote:
Yes my friend, I suppose we will just have to give the big guy the benefit of the doubt until he owns up to things or we can get a copy of his Income Tax filing.

Translation: this is a bare assertion without the slightest credible evidence to back it up.

Move along, nothing to see here...

- Thomas S. Monson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 pm 
Coggins7 wrote:
Quote:

Translation: this is a bare assertion without the slightest credible evidence to back it up.

Move along, nothing to see here...

Instead of give you the negative attention you want - because negative attention is still attention - I'll just smile at you.

:)

I'm glad you are having fun.

Of course the authors of FARMS don't get paid for what they do, I mean, why would they? They don't need money, the spirit sustains them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 am 
God

Mister Scratch wrote:
Will is just reacting to having one of his worst fear realized: namely, that apologists are doing it for profit. The only thing that would make all of this worse would be learning that one of the GAs personally signs DCP's Mopologetic paycheck.

Isn't it little bit naïve to think DCP & His Cronies, Gorditto's do this, waste their energies w'out getting paid?
They are like Celebrity B.S. Artists and should be paid accordingly.
There's nothing wrong with it.
(except that our poor DCP takes the fall for all of them with Judas type denial).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:17 am 
God

If it's true, then they're just like actors, lawyers and politicians: paid to lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:03 am 
God

GoodK wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
In other words the claim that Peterson and other LDS apologists are PAID to be apologist's seems to be a hollow claim with no evidence to back it up. Scratch must really be disappointed. Such excitement over NADA!

Hey Goodk...talk is cheap. You made a claim...that you know apologists are paid. Then what do we see? Nothing. Personally I could care less if they are paid. I hope they are in fact. Time is worth something. But here you got old Scratch so excited he is almost having an orgasm. And what evidnce do we see?

None.

You are certain the DCP is paid, Midgely probably is and Sorenson might be? Come on! Cheap rumor monging and innuendo is all you have provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am 
God

GoodK wrote:
TAK wrote:
I thought it was known that FARMS offers stipends for the work they produce..
I think this has been going on for at least a few years..

http://farms.BYU.edu/sumsem.html

Wow... Good find TAK!

This is old news

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:03 am 
God

Jason Bourne wrote:
GoodK wrote:
TAK wrote:

Wow... Good find TAK!

This is old news

No. It's not. This is new news to at least two posters on this board, myself included. The FACT that some apologists get paid now establishes this notion concretely. Now. The questions of which mopologists, how much they get paid, and for what apologia remain to be answered in light of claims by some well-known mopologists that they don't get paid for their efforts.

This is pretty big in light of the link above, and GoodK's assertions.

Scream the lie, whisper the retraction.- The Left

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 am 
God

antishock8 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
GoodK wrote:
TAK wrote:

Wow... Good find TAK!

This is old news

No. It's not. This is new news to at least two posters on this board, myself included. The FACT that some apologists get paid now establishes this notion concretely. Now. The questions of which mopologists, how much they get paid, and for what apologia remain to be answered in light of claims by some well-known mopologists that they don't get paid for their efforts.

Yes it is
Old news

Can't help it if you are behind the times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:34 am 
Master Mahan

Jason Bourne wrote:
In other words the claim that Peterson and other LDS apologists are PAID to be apologist's seems to be a hollow claim with no evidence to back it up.

Good heavens, Jason---your poor reading comprehension skills are cropping up yet again. *Nowhere* did I or anyone else say that "LDS apologists are PAID to be apologist's [sic]". GoodK rightly pointed out that there are likely some nuanced semantic points to be made about this statement (to refresh your memory, my OP asked, "How Much Are LDS Apologists Paid?") There are a number of ways to think about this, of course. Let's put it this way: which of the following are true (or likely to be true)?

A) Mopologists are paid for the articles they write
B) Mopologists receive royalties on their Mopologetic books
C) Mopologists (some of them, at least) receive payment for time they put in doing Mopologetics
D) High-ranking Mopologists are given an "expense" account to cover their trips, speaking engagements, etc.

If any or all of these is true (and GoodK's personal experience suggests that at least a couple of them are), then DCP has been caught lying. He claimed that he received nary "a dime" for his apologetic work, but, clearly and reasonably, that isn't true.

Quote:
Scratch must really be disappointed. Such excitement over NADA!

Actually, this *is* a rather big deal. Of course, critics have assumed all along that DCP and his ilk were on the Church dole for this stuff. Now we have insider confirmation, and we have DCP hiding over on the MADboard, likely crapping himself in fear that an insider is bursting this old, falsely humble bubble of his.

Chalk up another point for Ol' Scratch! ; )

Last edited by Mister Scratch on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 am 
God

Quote:
B) Mopologists receive royalties and their Mopologetic books
C) Mopologists (some of them, at least) receive payment for time they put in doing Mopologetics
D) High-ranking Mopologists are given an "expense" account to cover their trips, speaking engagements, etc

Evidence other than one persons innuendos seems lacking.

A: Where is the proof?
b: I would imagine this is the case.
C: Where is the proof?
d: Expenses to being covered to speak to a group is not getting paid. I have spoken at conferences related to my work for free but my travel, lodging and food was covered. But nothing for my time. Covering expenses makes it not a net loss to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 am 
God

Jason Bourne wrote:
antishock8 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
GoodK wrote:
TAK wrote:

Wow... Good find TAK!

This is old news

Yes it is
Old news

Can't help it if you are behind the times.

Are you saying that it's old news that mopologists get paid to do apologia on behalf of the Mormon church?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am 
Master Mahan

Jason Bourne wrote:
Quote:
B) Mopologists receive royalties and their Mopologetic books
D) High-ranking Mopologists are given an "expense" account to cover their trips, speaking engagements, etc

Evidence other than one persons innuendos seems lacking.

A: Where is the proof?
b: I would imagine this is the case.
C: Where is the proof?
d: Expenses to being covered to speak to a group is not getting paid. I have spoken at conferences related to my work for free but my travel, lodging and food was covered. But nothing for my time. Covering expenses makes it not a net loss to me.

If 'B' alone is true, Jason, then DCP is guilty of lying/distortion of the facts.

The "proof" that you're referring to is GoodK's testimonial. I'm sort of curious why you seem so unwilling to accept this, especially since it's been established, both by GoodK him/herself, and, implicitly, by rcrocket, that Goodk is the son/daughter of a fairly prominent FARMS author... Don't you therefore think that GoodK would be in a reasonably good position to know this stuff? You know, sort of like how Joseph Smith and teachers in the Church are in a good position to correctly interpret D&C 76?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am 
God

Quote:

The "proof" that you're referring to is GoodK's testimonial. I'm sort of curious why you seem so unwilling to accept this, especially since it's been established, both by GoodK him/herself, and, implicitly, by rcrocket, that Goodk is the son/daughter of a fairly prominent FARMS author... Don't you therefore think that GoodK would be in a reasonably good position to know this stuff? You know, sort of like how Joseph Smith and teachers in the Church are in a good position to correctly interpret D&C 76?

Goodk may or may not know. But if goodk knows then there ought to be some substance and I see none. Just innuendo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 am 
I have written for FARMS. I wasn't paid anything.

I have arranged for speaking engagement for FARMS directors who are also employed by BYU. The flight expense came out of my pocket. I arranged to pick them up at the airport. Accommodations were on their own nickel (they always stayed with friends or family). They received no payment from me.

Similarly, in my professional capacity I have arranged for speakers from universities to speak to professional or business groups. They are salaried at their institutions but don't receive payment from us for seminar participation. The groups I work with, however, do arrange for their hotel room, food and a rental car.

Similarly, I have been a panelist and a presenter at various business groups. I am not paid for what I publish there; I don't get paid for panel participation. My hotel room and travel are comp'd. I have never obtained business as the result of any seminar of which I was a panelist, although one of my motivations for doing this is to attract business.

I think what the FARMS presenters do is pretty formulaic in academia.

rcrocket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:27 am 
Mister Scratch wrote:

The things you are assuming about GoodK's father are untrue. Furthermore, you and GoodK have me at a disadvantage. I have told GoodK I won't "out" him or her with any more details about his/her life, but she/he is feeing you sub rosa personal info you're just repeating here.

Scratch, your source is way off as well as you are.

Last edited by rcrocket on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:28 am 
God

rcrocket wrote:
I have written for FARMS. I wasn't paid anything.

I have arranged for speaking engagement for FARMS directors who are also employed by BYU. The flight expense came out of my pocket. I arranged to pick them up at the airport. Accommodations were on their own nickel (they always stayed with friends or family). They received no payment from me.

Similarly, in my professional capacity I have arranged for speakers from universities to speak to professional or business groups. They are salaried at their institutions but don't receive payment from us for seminar participation. The groups I work with, however, do arrange for their hotel room, food and a rental car.

Similarly, I have been a panelist and a presenter at various business groups. I am not paid for what I publish there; I don't get paid for panel participation. My hotel room and travel are comp'd. I have never obtained business as the result of any seminar of which I was a panelist, although one of my motivations for doing this is to attract business.

I think what the FARMS presenters do is pretty formulaic in academia.

rcrocket

What a killjoy you are, Bob!

Here Scratchy and GoodK and a small group of intimate friends were pleasantly engaged in another of the now-almost-legendary Shadyville Circle Jerks, and you open the door and turn on the lights.

Fun hater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 am 
God

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

The annual Joseph Smith summer seminar, sponsored by the Neal A. Maxwell Institute of Religious Scholarship, will take as its theme in 2008 "Joseph Smith and His Critics." The theme has been chosen in response to the growing number of critical attacks in books and on the web. Many Latter-day Saints have been affected adversely by these criticisms, and the materials supplied by our apologetic institutions have not always met their needs.

The purpose of the seminar is to bring together a dozen experienced LDS scholars to review the arguments on both sides of a number of these issues and formulate replies that serve inquirers more satisfactorily. The emphasis will be less on providing answers to every question than on putting the adverse evidence in a new light. Our aim is to persuade readers that the facts do not compel them to discard Joseph Smith. In fact, negative information can sometimes illuminate his cultural situation and mission.

Dean Terry Ball of the College of Religious Education and Andrew Skinner of the Neal a. Maxwell Institute have approved this approach and authorized me to extend this invitation. The seminar will meet for six and a half weeks and require full-time participation. Participants will receive a $3000 stipend. Each participant will write one or more papers to be presented at a symposium for the Religious Education faculty.

To apply to participate in the summer seminar, click here. Applications are due January 15, 2008, and announcement of successful candidates will be made February 15.

Richard Lyman Bushman
rlb7@columbia.edu

----------------

Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship Mission Statement

The Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship exists to:

-Describe and defend the Restoration through highest quality scholarship

-Provide critically edited, primary resources (ancient religious texts) to scholars and lay persons around the world

-Build bridges of understanding and goodwill to Muslim scholars by providing superior editions of primary texts

-Provide an anchor of faith in a sea of LDS Studies

Last edited by antishock8 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next